Author Topic: Cower before my legion of salvage corvettes!  (Read 7677 times)

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Re: Cower before my legion of salvage corvettes!
Honestly, I found that just building a bunch of ships and flying straight to the enemy works well enough, in single player at least. There aren't too many 3d maneuvering shenanigans if you don't want.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

haha i basically ignore the 3d aspect of it, not that it is complicated, im just lazy lol
-regards
 Spyder

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Actually, I'm not so sure it was the 3D aspect so much as the fact that I had no clue which units were useful against which other units.  Even with the tutorial, I felt cast adrift a bit. :p

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I tried to play Homeworld once but couldn't wrap my head around the whole 3D-RTS thing very well.  Maybe I should give it another shot.

yes

It really is basically 2-D most of the time, there's just the added option of the 3-D space that you can use if the primary plane is too crowded for safety.
Example: leading a passel of ion cannon frigates around with a resource collector. You can't use only the 2-D space or you'll eventually run into the main sphere or you come back in range of your passel. The solution is to run to a corner, and then go up to open up more space to evade in. That and the junkyard mission are the only ones where the tactic approaches necessary.

Usually the 3-D only comes into play is when the AI decides to be a sneaky bastard and slip in a multi-beam frigate from behind.

Damn Kadeshi...
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline Roanoke

It really is basically 2-D most of the time, there's just the added option of the 3-D space that you can use if the primary plane is too crowded for safety.
Example: leading a passel of ion cannon frigates around with a resource collector. You can't use only the 2-D space or you'll eventually run into the main sphere or you come back in range of your passel. The solution is to run to a corner, and then go up to open up more space to evade in. That and the junkyard mission are the only ones where the tactic approaches necessary.

Or taking odwn the kadesh main ships where it tries to "home run" your destroyers.  Sneaky backtracking round and above/below works nicely :)
I managed to subdue the Tiranic Carrier with Salvagae corvettes but they refuse to dump it into the mothership docking bay :(

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
That's because you can't capture the Turanic carrier, it has the points, just like the alien ghost ship, but it just doesn't work.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I started playing this game for the first time yesterday. I like its gameplay ideas and the story looks interesting, but the interface is a bit clunky.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I started playing this game for the first time yesterday. I like its gameplay ideas and the story looks interesting, but the interface is a bit clunky.

It takes a while to get used to, but it is quite elegant actually.  Use control groups to easily follow units around.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

It feels clunky mainly because it's very powerful.  They streamlined it in the sequels, but that streamlining took away an awful lot of your actual control.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

The interface will become effortless; it's extremely powerful. The only thing missing is the ability to give attack orders in the sensors manager.

Offline Roanoke

I started playing this game for the first time yesterday. I like its gameplay ideas and the story looks interesting, but the interface is p bit clunky.

I tried and gave up maybe 3 times before I finally got into the groove. I can actually recall the day my brother cam home with brand new, big box copies of HW and System Shock 2.

Offline Nuclear1

It takes a while to get used to, but it is quite elegant actually.  Use control groups to easily follow units around.

Yeah, and you get really good at this during years of multi.

Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I figured out the control groups after a while, which do make giving orders in a battle much easier. The interface generally works well but has some issues. There is no camera panning function as far as I can tell and I don't like how the build/research menus are in a separate window, especially since the game doesn't pause when you go in there. Also, the move key doesn't seem to work in the sensors screen. I set one of my mouse buttons to that, but it only works in the main gameplay window.

These are minor things though and I'm increasingly liking this game so far. :yes:

Offline Roanoke

Re: Cower before my legion of salvage corvettes!.
move order should work in sensors manager  :nod:
you'll need it for super nova station.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
My fleet was of similar size. Though I didn't have 99 x Ion Frigate. But I did mod the game files so my Interceptors had a single missile launcher, my bombers had a rear-firing auto gun, my Mothership had ion cannons and improved point defenses ... Well. You get the idea.

I tried too... But what a mess at the end of the mission with all the ion frigates protecting the subspace inhibitor  :shaking:
If that's the mission with the massive sphere of ion frigates, just launch probes past them. The frigates will obligingly chase after the probe.

Usually the 3-D only comes into play is when the AI decides to be a sneaky bastard and slip in a multi-beam frigate from behind.
I love it when they do that. It means I get a free MB frigate.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Nuclear1

If that's the mission with the massive sphere of ion frigates, just launch probes past them. The frigates will obligingly chase after the probe.

I prefer using a Proximity Sensor for that.

That way you can basically lead about 10 or 15 Ion Frigates after one proxy while your salvage corvettes nab them.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Great, after seeing this thread the other day, I've re-installed HW and HW:Cataclysm. Forgot how awesome they were ;)

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I only ever played HW. Cataclysm wasn't sold in Singapore. Or it wasn't very popular.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!