Author Topic: Should the name Bastion be retired?  (Read 2607 times)

Offline CT27

Should the name Bastion be retired?
In a recent campaign playthrough of TBG, RMJ commented that it felt weird to see another destroyer named Bastion and that he thought that name should be retired.

Do you all agree with that?  Or do you think they would eventually give the name Bastion to another ship?  Or does it not matter all that much?

If a lot of people feel it should be changed I could talk to Herkie about changing the Bastion to another name in a future TBG update  (he would have the final say so I can't promise this informal poll would be binding).

Re: Should the name Bastion be retired?
I like the idea of having some sort of name-continuation within stories; just think of the Enterprise in ST. That has been done before elsewhere in FS modding too, just think of the SOC Galatea in old INF continuity. But I think in most (all?) cases it is a ship of a new class that gets the old name, elseway it'd be plain confusing (can't tell what the case is in TBG tho).

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I like the idea of having some sort of name-continuation within stories; just think of the Enterprise in ST. That has been done before elsewhere in FS modding too, just think of the SOC Galatea in old INF continuity. But I think in most (all?) cases it is a ship of a new class that gets the old name, elseway it'd be plain confusing (can't tell what the case is in TBG tho).

I was thinking about the Enterprise in the US navy - it has been used on something like 8 different ships!  :)
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
The answer to this question should match the narrative style of the rest of writing.

E.g. If you are aiming for realism, the name and its asociated history and tradition can pass to a new ship as it happens in real militaries - names are powerful symbols, both outward and inward, and are used as such.

But if you are plan to go down a more fancyful direction, a ship's name can be unique to promote a unique identity in the story.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 06:09:27 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
My thought is: who really cares, it's just a name that is shared by an older ship.
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
If retiring the name works for the context one person's campaign, then go ahead and do it, but don't expect it to be binding for anyone else's.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Writers perogative.

We had enterprise first, your first was one ours BTW ;)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png