Author Topic: Mid Mission Saving  (Read 686 times)

Searched the forum for mention of saving games and found nothing. Simply put is there any feature like this currently or in future? Mid mission checkpoints at least?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Searched the forum for mention of saving games and found nothing. Simply put is there any feature like this currently or in future? Mid mission checkpoints at least?

Mid-mission checkpoints are possible, but at this time they need to be enabled by mission designers. It might be possible to create a more generalized save state system, but to the best of my knowledge noone is working on this feature at this time.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Mid-mission checkpoints are possible, but at this time they need to be enabled by mission designers. It might be possible to create a more generalized save state system, but to the best of my knowledge noone is working on this feature at this time.

I see, thanks for the answer. Here's hoping it happens in future, the one thing keeping me from playing space combat games is long or buggy missions with no save option which for some reason seems to be the norm.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
At least in the retail campaigns, most missions tend to be on the order of 10 minutes or less, though there are some fan-made campaigns that push well beyond that. Fortunately several of the prominent recent ones have implemented in-mission checkpoints in one way or another.

I remember one, think it was the first one. Where you have to somehow get into the hanger of a warping in capital ship.... it took so long for that part to actually happen and I kept dying so I never figured out how to actually do it.... I quit FreeSpace at that point.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That sounds like "Playing Judas" from FS1, though so long as you avoid the enemy fighters, you shouldn't have much of a risk of dying in that mission. At the end you're supposed to fail getting into the fighter bay and then run the hell away until you're able to warp out.

Seriously? hahahaha

I really hate surprise "supposed to fail" missions...

EDIT: Actually at the time I read somewhere that the trick to this mission is placing yourself in the right spot so that when the carrier jumps in you are in the spot the hanger is.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 08:15:21 am by rambo919 »