Author Topic: Silent Threat: Reborn DEAD  (Read 14604 times)

Silent Threat: Reborn DEAD
ok, I thought this was supposed to be released by christmas LAST YEAR. Well I've had enough. Whether YOU guys think it's dead or not, it is. I'm tired of hearing "It'll be done soon" "we're working on it, be patient" "we're too busy"  And also seeing very few screenshots and videos, that only supports my claim as it is dead.

If a project host would like to respond, you must make it very clear that is project will be released soon, or, as my claim says, never.

FS2FREAK88
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 05:03:35 pm by 968 »

Offline Nuclear1

Chill. Seriously. Do you honestly think that Goober would release a video clip of a mission when he has no intention of ever releasing ST:R?

Goober, Galemp, and the FSPort team know what they're doing. Whether you like it or not, these men have a quality standard that they strive to live up to, that of the original Freespace. They also have the painstaking effort to upgrade Silent Threat from its original, horrible state to an enjoyable campaign on par with the original Freespace.

Bear in mind, sir, that they have also had to avoid using SCP assistance so that they can release ST:R as they promised when it was begun: in retail FS2, so that us poor saps who can't handle FSO can enjoy it.

Your post was inflammatory, uncalled for, and just reeking with ignorance, insult, and disrespect. If I had my way, I would see to it that you never posted such a thing again in any forum. Such comments insult the staff behind this project and only detriment their progress.

Want to be helpful? Give some encouragement to keep going, or ask (VERY) occassionally (and politely, for God's sake) for a progress check.

Don't want to be helpful? Then please do refrain from posting such unnecessary comments and flames. Take some advice from the gentleman who posted in another recent thread, asking politely why he still noticed some major bugs. He got a polite answer.

You are not polite. Therefore, I will not be.

EDIT: In addition, DK brings up a very good point. Check the number of avatars GE has alone. Add this to Goober's work on Fortunes of War, the duties of an HLP Admin, the Source Code, and then add Real Life to the equation as well.

These guys are making amazing progress for having such a workload. Realize that next time you post.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 06:02:41 pm by 673 »
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Re: Silent Threat: Reborn DEAD
Originally posted by fs2freak88
... also seeing very few screenshots and videos, that only supports my claim as it is dead.
FS2FREAK88

Yet seeing any screenshots and videos at all tells you it's alive. What about the Mystery Video a few month's back? You can say that that’s old but it’s newer than Christmas, and when your dealing with an FS project the end of July counts as VERY recent, especially when you consider the amount of other work these good people are doing both RL, for other projects and the FS community as a whole. You gonna tell me BWO is dead too ‘cos we’re a good few years past the release date stated on their trailer? I only hope this is some kind of misguided joke.

I mean really, and I don't say this harshly. What's your problem? It's not like you've paid for it? An intended release date isn't a written in blood contract or anything is it? It'll be done when it's done, I have faith in these guys, like I do in anyone else, and if they can't finish it? So what? Again it's not like you've paid for it? And it's not like someone else wont offer to pick it up and finish it if they can’t? They're not just going to let something they've invested so very many man hours in just die for no good reason now are they? It's a labor of love for the intended enjoyment of many not just you.

It's not often that I post anywhere on these forums but what you said struck me as overly harsh and inflammatory and demanded a response. Damn right uncalled for really why not asks politely and be a little encouraging with it.

Tell you what, try making something yourself of the same quality as these guys, juggling it with perhaps a dozen or more other online commitments and then factor in the real world on top of things, then see if you can stick to a probably tentatively intended release date.

Thank you.

Edit: Hmm, got there first... well at least we're united in our response.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 06:01:58 pm by 22 »
The needs of my belly, outwiegh the needs of the few.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
BTW:
Just as the Port, will ST:Reborn have an SCP versions for us spoilt children who CAN run it?
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Oh? It's dead? Oh well. Guess you won't ever get to play it then. Too bad.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

You guys still haven't provided recent screen shots or videos within the last 60 days. Wow. Weak. Really Weak.

Keep up the "hard" work!
FS2FREAK88

Originally posted by Flaser
BTW:
Just as the Port, will ST:Reborn have an SCP versions for us spoilt children who CAN run it?

Won't have any, it's dead, read your own post. :lol: I take it you'll play nicely now so I can go back to my hole for another few months or so.

Edit: Obviously not. Guys, don't give him nothing. Spoilt brats should've been spanked more often when young.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 06:09:27 pm by 22 »

Offline Nuclear1

Originally posted by Dark Knight

Won't have any, it's dead, read your own post. :lol: I take it you'll play nicely now so I can go back to my hole for another few months or so.

Um, that wasn't a fs2prick post, DK. :nervous: Flaser's innocent, last I checked. ;)

You guys still haven't provided recent screen shots or videos within the last 60 days. Wow. Weak. Really Weak.

Keep up the "hard" work!
FS2FREAK88

I really hope someone bans you. Seriously. You're acting like a pure-de-dur prick. Do you know what happens to pricks?

Enjoy your permanent vacation. :doubt:
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.

Soz, theres a reason I don't post often. :sigh: I'm going to blame it on being 12 past midnight I feel.

I could easily do the same bashing with inferno. Why don't I? They have to mod ALL new ships, AND do missions. You guys only gotta do the missions, since all the FS1 models were ported over long ago. Go back to my last post for further evidence why it is.

Please tell me if there's been anything new in the last month (screen shots and videos)!!!! (besides Goob's)

Offline Nuclear1

Can you not read?

GE has TVWP, SA, SW Conversion, and probably more not hosted on HLP in addition to ST:R. Goober has the Source Code to keep him busy, in addition to TVWP, and probably even more.

With nearly six projects under my belt, I know exactly what it's like to be stretched like that. You apparently do not. It's pricks and flamebaiters like you that do nothing but demand of the community, but give nothing in return.

I could easily do the same bashing with inferno.

Do it. I dare you. In fact, why don't you do the same with BWO? Jump on the ol' bandwagon and attack the major campaigns? Or Scroll?

Cut the crap, and don't come back until you have.

DONT TALK BACK TO ME NUCLEAR!!

I loved the FSPort, I really did. I still play it, in fact.

I could care less about BWO, so no need to bash them. Let them do their work. They will please a lot of people, I'm not interested.

Don't busy yourselves with 6 projects!! Don't you guys have lives to live? Eat, do homework, go to work, etc?

Allow me to try to explain.

Have you ever made missions? I have, I made a very old, very bad campaign a long time ago and it took ages, I don't recomend it.

I've also been working for a year on a still unnanounced campaign becuase I want to make sure it can be done right before I release anything so I don't have to put up with people like you pestering me for it to be done.

Sure, a working mission can be fredded in about a day, but it takes a minimum of at least half a week to do it properly, and since you have to fit the rest of your life into that week, the affore mentioned living and eating that three or four days tends to spread a very, very long way.

Add to that the need for beta testing, breaks, technical problems... lets face it takes a long time to make a really good mission so someone like you wont come along afterwords and complain about becuase it fell apart when you blew up cruiserY against orders before DestroyerX appeared making the mission freeze up and crash out.

Why get involved in X number of projects? Becuase they're good at what they do, and they're intrested in a lot of things, they don't HAVE to do any of this. It's a hobby not a job, this is for fun, their fun, and they can do whatever they like.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 06:33:06 pm by 22 »

I create missions, just for me to play, they work fine. I wish I knew more about FRED and how powerful it really can be, working SEXPS right. If I were to release one of my missions, I'd get slammed left and right. Do I care? OF COURSE NOT! So why u all slamming me? All's I'm doing is constructive criticism.

Thats the point, there was nothing constructive about what you said. It wasn't even criticism. it was more an insult really.

If you'd framed your first post as a request for an update, maybe asked for a pic or two and told them how much you enjoyed the origenal things'd be fine, what you actualy did was to effectively call them liars and demanded a quick release presented in the frame of a rather circular and small minded arguement.

Listen, all I'm doing is fanning the flames really and catching innocents in the cross fire (really sorry about that by the way) so i'm going to bed, my suggesting, and this is honestly friendly advise, is for you to go away for a little while and think about your phrasing, a little politeness goes a long way.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 06:44:04 pm by 22 »

Offline Fenrir

• ?
I create missions, just for me to play, they work fine. I wish I knew more about FRED and how powerful it really can be, working SEXPS right. If I were to release one of my missions, I'd get slammed left and right. Do I care? OF COURSE NOT! So why u all slamming me? All's I'm doing is constructive criticism.

The thing is, you're slamming the ST:R team left and right for not releasing missions soon enough. Would you prefer they release crappy missions so you can slap 'em left and right for those instead?

Offline Nuclear1

DONT TALK BACK TO ME NUCLEAR!!

I loved the FSPort, I really did. I still play it, in fact.

I could care less about BWO, so no need to bash them. Let them do their work. They will please a lot of people, I'm not interested.

Don't busy yourselves with 6 projects!! Don't you guys have lives to live? Eat, do homework, go to work, etc?

Don't get pricked with me. I have enough time to work six projects well enough. I FRED for four of them, but only write storylines/background info for the other two.

It's called creativity. I've got a lot of it, and these projects help me to express it. On that note, let the FSPort team have their own creativity.

I don't even feel like dignifying any of the rest of that with a response. If you feel like bashing the FSPort team, at least have some of your own work to use as leverage or backup for your cause. Actually, don't bash the FSPort team at all.

You've been warned. When an admin's boot comes flying up your... you'll know you've gone too far. :doubt:

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
FS2Freak88: Tell ya what. Go ahead and play the Original Silent Threat. There's your campaign--all finished. OK? Good. Hope you like it. I know we did.

For the rest of you: Thanks for your support. :) Goober and I appreciate your patience, and the defense you've given our project. Our number one goal in this endeavor is not to disappoint. Trust me, this campaign has two of the top ten greatest missions I've ever played for either FS1 or FS2. We're going very deep into the FS history books, including classic campaigns like The Aeos Affair and Awakenings, and rewriting quite a bit of it. Hopefully this campaign will be remembered as the definitive post-Great War campaign.

The delays we're experiencing have been mainly points of contention between me and Goober about plot elements and mission structures, where neither of us really wants to compromise nor piss each other off. I have eighteen missions on my computer that I could write a campaign file for RIGHT NOW but I'm not, because we have lots of debating still to do. We want this campaign to be finished to the satisfaction of both of us, and for the community.

Goober's just finished his thesis and has just moved into a new home. He's a major contributor to the Source Code Project, and administrating the boards is a full-time job in itself. He FREDs when he can, and the results are usually outstanding. I've seen him do things with SEXPs that would twist your brainstem into knots.

I myself am a full-time college student with a love life, and I've been gradually shifting into modeling and animation and away from FREDding. I've been doing mod work for the Scroll of Atankharzim to keep things moving while Sesquipedalian is doing his final thesis. I've also been quickly modeling a few things that happen to pop into my head because I don't want to lose the ideas. Currently ST:R is very high on my list of priorities mainly because I want to be finished with it and just move on; I won't let that affect the quality of the work, however.

Goober doesn't want to release without full voice acting. We're still debating this but when it's done, it will be done. Thanks for sticking with us on this. And in the immortal words of God's Last Message to His Creation:

We apologize for the inconvenience.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

You guys are total WIMPS. You have STILL yet to give me any evidence you've posted SOMETHING within the last 15-30 days. You guys are weak. Telling me to play Silent Threat? Wow....You guys are totally defenseless. Learn to answer questions, not dodging them! It will benefit us all. :)

Offline Fenrir

• ?
I like how you've completely missed the point. And how you think screenshots, videos, and the like, (or the lack thereof) have any correlation whatsoever with progress.