Archived Boards > MindGames

Some Info on the Starborn

(1/4) > >>

Geezer:
The Magnificient Subspace Metaphor:

Imagine a stand of old-growth forest. Under the trees, very little light reaches the ground, so there is almost no underbrush. At the edges of the forest, where sunlight does reach the ground, there is a heavy growth of bushes and shrubs that acts as a barrier to the woods. If a traveler wanted to cross the forest, he’d first have to force his way through these bushes, so he’d search for a nearby thin spot. Once through the bushes it would be a fairly easy walk through the trees. At the far side of the forest, he’d again look for a thin spot in the bushes and force his way out. If he kept using the same route, the bushes would eventually stop re-growing, leaving a permanent hole in the barrier. There would also be a noticeable path in the forest.

The Starborn are the travelers. The forest is subspace and the holes in the bushes are the jumpnodes. While the Starborn can push into subspace whenever and wherever they want to, it does take a certain amount of energy, so they tend to use the existing jumpnodes – which also helps to keep the jumpnode open. For a jumpnode to become “permanent” might take regular travelling over thousands of years – not a lot of time to the Starborn. If the Starborn stop using the jumpnode, eventually it will disappear.

Knight Templar:
Very Nice.

This campaign has a very unique and fresh story. I like it. Sol + Starborn + Influences = Awesome. You present it in a way that makes for good reading too.  :D

Have any plans for a Demo before full release? (Yeah it's early.. sue me)

karajorma:
Nice work Geezer. I`d read the original version but this one is better :)

Geezer:

--- Quote ---Originally posted by Knight Templar
Very Nice.

This campaign has a very unique and fresh story. I like it. Sol + Starborn + Influences = Awesome. You present it in a way that makes for good reading too.  :D

Have any plans for a Demo before full release? (Yeah it's early.. sue me)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the kind words.  To answer your question: We have talked about a demo and it's a real possibility.  Stay tuned :D

Hudzy:
Great ideas there. :D A fresh approach to explaining some of the background behind the nodes. :yes:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version