Archived Boards > Halo for FreeSpace

FS2H: Engage

(1/8) > >>

Causality:
"For Halo fans of the past, present, and future. For everyone that ever yearned in their hearts to fly through the cosmos. This is for you..."

Welcome, one and all, to the now revived Freespace 2: Halo thread here at HLP!

For anyone not familiar with the story of this mod, here's the quick and dirty:

Devrous, as a college student, had a lot of free time on his hands. He loved video games as most young people do, and found a strong affinity for Descent, Freespace 1 & 2, Counter-Strike, and Halo. He had spent a little time playing around with simple changes to Freespace 2 before getting addicted to the world-wide fanaticism of Halo. After reading the novels and logging more playtime than credit hours, he started wondering what the space battles would be like between Human and Covenant forces. From there, he came up with the idea of making a game to tell the story of Humanity's struggle from the perspective of it's space navy. For over four years he taught himself everything he could about modding Freespace 2, and delved deeply into the Halo Story. Eventually he felt confident enough to start promoting it on the web. After a long period of hype he was nearly finished with the mod and was ready to release the first stage. Then, tragedy struck.

His last remaining grandparent, an uncle and a cousin, all passed away within a few months. A faulty hard drive and the Vendo virus nearly ruined his computer. Data recovery efforts were only partially successful, yet he still pressed on, determined to finish it. But life continued to hammer at him, bringing more hardship. At some point, he made the decision to cut most everything so he could take care of his family. Sadly, computers was one of those things, and with it fell FS2H. Unable to recover enough data from his now second failed hard drive, he put it aside and swore he'd come back to it someday.

A year later, I ran into him. I had known him pretty well during my first years of college, and I had always wanted to play the mod he was working on. After he told me his story, I felt what I imagine most everyone on the forums felt; sad and disappointed. Before he left, he gave me a phone number of one of his friends that was staying near where I lived. Shortly thereafter, as I was visiting his friend, I saw a clear CD case on his CD rack. I asked if I could look through his games, and one of them was marked "FS2H Backup - Devrous, June 2007."

Long story short, I "borrowed" the disc, learned what I could from it, tinkered with it, and eventually called him to ask about some texturing problems. He informed me that he had gone to several websites promoting the mod, and that there still may be some people interested. Before I could get around to looking, I checked Devrous' old backup email account he had let me look through for Freespace stuff. There were several messages from someone named "Starlord." And the rest is history...

Now that you're up to speed, here's what I intend. With the help of modders here at HLP, we're going to finish this mod so that everyone can enjoy it. Instead of going it alone and risking data loss, incompleteness, and a long release date, I'll be asking for people to join our team. With any luck, we should have this thing up and running in no time.

Devrous' HLP Wiki: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/FS2H#Plot

Feel free to ask any and all questions. I'll do my best to answer, and as soon as possible I'll get the game information packed and sent off to the team members as they get added as such. So far:

Current FS2H Team (June 7, 2009)
FREDer: Wistler
Voice Acting: Spartan-367
Misc/Fanboy: Starlord

At the moment, we are in biggest need of someone who's good with texture mapping and/or painting models either in TrueSpace or something similar. I'd hate for these ships to look hokey because I'm a total n00b at texturing and I can only paint so many faces with the same look  :nervous:

At any rate, thanks to the Admins for generously (re)hosting FS2H, and special thanks to Starlord for 'keeping the faith.' I'll do my best to get more info out ASAP, but if you troll through the exisiting threads you'll find A LOT of information on what Devrous had planned. Tons of info, pictures, and a few movies. Check it out!

Felix 039:
Do you need someone to do some storyline for the campaigns? I am very familiar with Halo 1-3, Halo Novels.

Storyline: Mission Logic, Campaign Story... bla bla bla... Sum up: Story? I can do it.
Voice Acting: I could do that too.

karajorma:
My advice would be not to get too hung up on the way things look. The most important thing is to get the ships you have working in-game so that you can start mission design work. That way you can have all of your team working at the same time rather than leaving the FREDders sitting on their hands waiting for models. You've got a pretty ambitious campaign planned so getting a start on it now rather than once all the models are done would be a huge bonus.

If you look at FS Upgrade as an example you can see that even if you have ugly models now you can easily upgrade them to high poly beauties as the campaign takes shape.

Felix 039:
Aye, but judging from the stuff Iv seen from Dev, they can start putting models in-game and make sure that they work as well as the story meant for it to be.

A Destroyer doing some evasive manuvering like the Keyes loop executed by Commander Keyes (later Captain Keyes) did would look very ugly if the model cannot do what it should be like.

starlord:
One of the biggest reasons we are sad and disappointed would be regarding devrous' misfortune family wise. :sigh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version