Author Topic: Derelict Needs a Facelift  (Read 31392 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: Derelict Needs a Facelift
Please play the campaign and post here any bugs/oddities you can find. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Derelict? understood, I'll go through it:)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Thanks in advance!
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Derelict? understood, I'll go through it:)

I'll go through it as well.  I'll post if I find anything broken.

EDIT: Missions 1-6 check out.

There is one directive missing in mission 7.  Command directs you to obtain a scan of one of the Loki fighters (Hook Wing).  The directive does not appear on your list. 

Other than that I haven't found anything.

EDIT 2: I'm going to start testing from beginning.  This will allow me to verify some of the issues ktistai228 encountered and keep a better log.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 10:21:29 pm by Aurora Paradox »

Okay, here is a list of what was reported thus far in this thread:
1)Ugly backgrounds/planets
2)In swimming with the sharks, the Shivan corvette does not die if not sufficiently pounded
3)The Sai and the Lonewolf have sex
4)Reported misses by the Narylathotep(damn I suck at names) in the mission with angry civies
5)Reported misses by the Narylathotep in the mission where it undocks the Arcadia and supposedly kills the Sobek.

I will go through them as I get to those respective missions.
But first, addressing 1). I've modified the mod.ini to run with 3.6.12, and I must say the backgrounds and planets look lovely. So really, I don't see a problem there.
Now for the missions, I've only been through the first. I'm a lot slower, but more meticulous. Here is what I found:
-The loading bar is very very fugly, it actually looks horrible. wouldn't mind doing something about the background image when loading.
-CB ani's would be really really nice
-At one point in the briefing, ore carriers are mentioned, and a wing of freighters is shown on the tactical display. However, when you click on it, you are shown a TC-TRI. I think you should see a Triton.
-Let the cargo container that's supposed to be stolen by the Blackbeard loose a little life, it looks odd when it has 100% life and the freighter just blew up next to it.
-THIS MAY BE MEDIAVPS RELATED: When you look at Poseidon 7 from the upper-back side, the Poseidon is lighted by its own engines, however those engines do not light the container as well, which looks hella ugly. Pic included for demonstrative purposes.

Sorry for the red screen, couldn't get it otherwise
-THIS MAY ALSO BE MEDIAVPS RELATED: When I hit pause, or exit, in Retail or the old vp's, I usually got the Paused thingy, over the frozen screen from where I was at in the mission. However, nowadays, instead of that, I see the Paused thingy with either:
 a)a single colored background
 b)an image from earlier in the mission
 c)a heavily distorted version of my current image
-In my second playthrough, the Blackbeard got killed by those 3 Tritons, before I even got to 10000 m, which was... very weird.
That's all I could find for M1.
Oh, and for the May be MediaVP's related thingies, don't kill me if they really are related and I posted in the wrong thread. I DO NOT KNOW if they are related.

Continuing
M2:
-In stage 3 of the briefing you need beacons, not beacon. "and dropping the navigational beacons in their appropriate area
-it mentions my primaries will be limited. I do not see that in any way.
-Give the wingmen a guard Alpha 1 order. It's weird with them staying back and doing nothing, especially since "one of your wingmen to deploy the beacon"
M3:
-nothing except the wingmen complaint seen above
M4:
-wingmen, wingmen
-Nice, really nice. But you should try using something else, not the Volition Bravos. Try asking the guys from Free Skies for some ship models. It would be better than that.
M5:
-When talking about the HUD, I get Alpha 2's "HUD is configured" before Commands "Configure your HUD"
-Are those freighters weapons free? doesn't seem so

That's all for now:)

What follows is what I’ve found in the first four missions.  It is worth mentioning that ktistai228 has already pointed out some of these errors.

Pre Campaign Start:

There is no description of the campaign in the campaign room.  It just says Derelict Campaign.  Using the description in the mod.ini should do fine.

Mission 1: Welcome to the Boonies

-In the briefing, The Ore Carriers icon displays the wrong ship when clicked on.  It displays the TC-TRI.  It should be a GTFr Triton(spelling?).

-The Blackbeard freighter is destroyed by the ore carriers.  In my opinion, this doesn’t make much sense.

Mission 2: Deep Patrol

-Your wingmen have zero orders at mission start.  I would recommend Guard Alpha 1 at the minimal.  Even if there are no hostiles in this mission.  Your wingmen should still have an order at mission start.

-No evidence of changes to primaries as mentioned in the briefing.

Mission 3: Marie Celeste

-Wingmen need orders.

Mission 4: Through the Looking Glass

-Wingmen need orders.

-There is a reference by Alpha 4 to EMP screwing up his sensors.  Yet you see no evidence of this.  No typical EMP behavior is shown.  An example would be, the HUD scrambling itself randomly and randomly switching targets.

Mission 5: Last Leg

-There is an incorrect word used in the briefing.  The third paragraph starts with the word we.  According to the voice acting, it should start with the word they. 

Current Message: “We have also picked up some transmissions from within the belt - it seems like you're flying into a pirate ambush.”

Corrected Message: “They have also picked up some transmissions from within the belt - it seems like you're flying into a pirate ambush.”

-Your wingmen need orders.

-Two lines of dialogue need to be switched.  Mackie confirms that his HUD is configured before Command gives the order.

-The Benzia references moving to its escape pods but no escape pods are seen.  The debriefing claims the crew made it to the escape pod and jumped to safety.  Adding in an escape pod that jumps out quick might be prudent.

NOTE: I have not encountered any of the possible Mediavps issues that ktistai228 has seen.  At least, not so far.

I will post information on the remaining missions as I reach them.

EDIT: I made some minor changes to my notes.  I've refined them so they match the style I used in my later postings.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 01:29:22 am by Aurora Paradox »

Three more missions have been tested.  Here are the results.

Mission 6: Bait and Switch

-Even after hostilities cease, the TRGC Sai still has orders to attack the GTC Lonewolf.  This is shown in the targeting data.

Mission 7: A Time for Penance

-There is one directive missing in mission 7.  Command directs you to obtain a scan of one of the Loki fighters (Hook Wing).  The directive does not appear on your list. 

Mission 8: Horror in the Deep

-There is no directive to destroy Long John Wing.

-A message from Alpha 2 has no voice acting.

The message is: “Where are they coming from? It's like they're appearing out of subspace itself!”

Additional Information: I loaded up FRED and it turns out this line of dialogue (Alpha2A) does reference an ogg audio file.  The only problem is that file doesn't exist.  I went through all the audio files for mission eight.  None of them match this line of dialogue.
There is also one other oddity with this line of dialogue.  It has a persona assigned to it.

-Even after the Meridian jumps and the game acknowledges you have completed the objective.  “Protect the Meridian” is still colored white.

-There is no directive to jump out at the end of the mission.

EDIT: Additional information has been added regarding the missing voice acting.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:37:29 pm by Aurora Paradox »

Well, my motivation for this dried out and I started just playing through it. First off you really need to have a skip dialogue thing. IT IS KILLING ME to go through 4-5 minutes of dialogue, fail the mission, and then have to do it again.
And there are a ton of more problems around, that I could see at a glance. This requires your attention again, literally!!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Do you mind mentioning when those boring dialogues occur? In which missions?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
It sounds like a few of these "issues' that are being reported come down more to personal preference than anything else.  Fixing typos and missing directives are great and all, but don't go all hog-wild.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
They're still things that should be changed, IMO.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Scratch three more missions off the list.  Here are the results:

Mission 9: Rites of Passage

-During the briefing the GVI Luxor displays the wrong model when clicked on.  It displays a Typhon class destroyer.  It should show a Typhon class destroyer in a docking ring.  I’m assuming that displaying both models together isn’t possible.  However, I thought I would report it just the same.

-Alpha wing has no orders at mission start.  In my opinion, they should automatically guard the GTM Alexis as soon as it finishes jumping in.

-There is an error in one line of dialogue and the voice acting corresponds to it.
The message is: “Command, this doesn't sound right. We weren't supposed to have any Terran fighters in the area beyond Alpha leader and myself.”

Explanation: The error is that you’re not flying Terran fighters in this mission.  You’re flying Vasudan fighters.  Changing the word fighters to pilots should do fine.  The problem with changing this is that the voice actor would have to re-record the line.  I believe the voice actor for Mackie is still around.  I’m not 100% sure though.

-You might want to move Kappa wing farther out when they jump in.  If you let the dialogue sequence play out and then investigate them.  They will already be very close.  I was not able to destroy them before they hit the Alexis with Tornados.  The ship will survive but it will take heavy damage.  If you investigate Kappa as soon as they arrive this will not be a problem.

-The debrief requires some minor changes to match the voice acting.

Change 1: Flip the word doing and so around.

Current Message: “Additionally, the docking bays of the GVI Luxor were sabotaged by a substantial explosion. In so doing, the Governor's Shuttle was stranded outside the station during the firefight, leaving it vulnerable to a kidnap attempt.”

Corrected Message: “Additionally, the docking bays of the GVI Luxor were sabotaged by a substantial explosion. In doing so, the Governor's Shuttle was stranded outside the station during the firefight, leaving it vulnerable to a kidnap attempt.”

Change 2: Add the letter A to a section of the debriefing

Current Message: “The Ithaca Deimos-class corvette represents a substantial security threat in the area.”

Corrected Message: “The Ithaca, a Deimos-class corvette represents a substantial security threat in the area.”

-You are awarded the Medal of Valor, yet there is no mention of this in the debrief.

Mission 10: The Third Man

-Epsilon wing is present for part of this mission but is not mentioned in the briefing.

-Neither Alpha nor Epsilon wing has orders at mission start.  They should both have orders to defend your fighter.  The logic being that you are the only fighter who can tag the Ithaca.

-Alpha wing should automatically be ordered to defend the GVT Isiroth as soon as it arrives.

Mission 11: Learning by Osmosis

-Alpha has no orders at mission start.  As per the briefing orders they should be ordered to protect GTCv Escher.

-Once the Escher’s engines are disabled by the energy draining mines they begin to continually explode.  It looks like the engine subsystems is being destroyed over and over again.

-Providing an easier way to target the energy draining mines would make the mission easier.  Currently you can only select them by cycling through all targets.

-Alpha and Delta wings do not automatically depart once the mission is complete.

EDIT: I've made some minor changes to my notes.  Mostly adding in the bolding and a little spacing.  I've also reworded one of the notes on mission 11.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 01:33:14 am by Aurora Paradox »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
They're still things that should be changed, IMO.
No, what I meant was that doing things like editing for grammar mistakes and ship classes in briefings, as well as fixing any identifiable bugs that have popped up, is the part that definitely should be fixed.  Beyond that, though, making changes like moving wings around or tweaking ship orders all over the place kind of leads into dangerous territory.  I mean, this is Derelict, one of the all-time classic FS2 campaigns.  I just don't want to see anyone go all George Lucas on it. :p

-There is an error in one line of dialogue and the voice acting corresponds to it.
The message is: “Command, this doesn't sound right. We weren't supposed to have any Terran fighters in the area beyond Alpha leader and myself.”

Explanation: The error is that you’re not flying Terran fighters in this mission.  You’re flying Vasudan fighters.  Changing the word fighters to pilots should do fine.  The problem with changing this is that the voice actor would have to re-record the line.  I believe the voice actor for Mackie is still around.  I’m not 100% sure though.
I think the implication is that there shouldn't be any Terran fighters in the system, period.  The player and Mackie presumably have their own fighters on the station, since they're not using them at the moment, but those should be the only Terran fightercraft in the area.  Regardless, I don't think redoing voice lines is all that necessary, since it'd be a huge hassle for very little payoff.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Giving some fighters initial orders so they don't just drift there until you give them orders seems not very likely to break anything, seeing as you could issue that very order the second the mission starts!

I don't get how taking a c-3-8 off the "do at the start of the mission" list will affect balancing at all.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Well no, you're right, and that's not really the level of tweaking I'm talking about.  But things like this...

-There is a reference by Alpha 4 to EMP screwing up his sensors.  Yet you see no evidence of this.  No typical EMP behavior is shown.  An example would be, the HUD scrambling itself randomly and randomly switching targets.

...make me a bit uncomfortable.  When you get to those levels of change, you're sort of disrupting how the original mission played.

And yeah, I know I probably sound a bit overprotective.  It's just that this campaign was made by two community legends, and then originally brought up to SCP compliance by another.  I probably count it as my sentimental favorite campaign of all, in no small part because I'm proud of the job we all did on the voicework when Blaise was upgrading things.  I just don't want to see any unnecessary tweaks to it.

Well no, you're right, and that's not really the level of tweaking I'm talking about.  But things like this...

...make me a bit uncomfortable.  When you get to those levels of change, you're sort of disrupting how the original mission played.

And yeah, I know I probably sound a bit overprotective.  It's just that this campaign was made by two community legends, and then originally brought up to SCP compliance by another.  I probably count it as my sentimental favorite campaign of all, in no small part because I'm proud of the job we all did on the voicework when Blaise was upgrading things.  I just don't want to see any unnecessary tweaks to it.

I understand where your coming from on this Mongoose.  In my eyes Derelict is also one of the classic fan made campaigns.  I'm not looking to drastically alter the campaign.  As I go through the campaign I'm simply writing down any grammar/spelling errors, mission breaking events, general mission oddities, text not corresponding to voice acting, etc.  Having no evidence of EMP during the mission was just something I found odd.  I'm just doing my best to be thorough.

EDIT: Rewrote the second to last sentence of my reply.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 03:43:07 pm by Aurora Paradox »

Okay, off the top of my head. The mission with the protesters and the Nyarlahotep (damn, really can't spell these names), you really need a skip dialogue feature, it was killing me.
The Shivan knossos looks damn weird with the 3.6.12 media vps, it looks as if the shivan and the ancient textures got mixed up.
There are several more issues, but I just went through all the missions without noting anything, so I'm a bit in the dark.

An additional four missions have cleared testing.

Mission 12: Code of Honour

-Nothing odd or broken found.

Mission 13: Bond of Trust

-The text of the briefing screen 1 of 5 needs to be modified to ensure it matches the voice acting.

Current Text: “With a little intelligence supplied by myself, the mercenaries have pinpointed a GTVA convoy passing though Altair on its way to Luxor Station. This convoy is carrying valuable cargo, which the mercenaries wish to 'procure'. As I supplied the intelligence, Shadow wing is going to be leading the strike.”

Corrected Text:
“With a little intelligence supplied by myself, the mercenaries have pinpointed a GTVA convoy passing though Altair on its way to Luxor Station. This convoy is carrying valuable cargo, which the mercenaries wish to 'procure'. Since I supplied the intelligence, Shadow wing gets the honour of leading the strike.”

-The text of the briefing screen 2 of 5 requires a minor change.  This change will ensure it matches the voice acting.

Current Text: “The convoy consists of three Triton class freighters – the Beck, the Finlay and the Torres, and their respective cargoes.  The convoy is guarded by a wing of Lokis, designated Omega.”

Corrected Text:
“The convoy consists of three Triton class freighters – the Beck, the Finlay and the Torres, with their respective cargoes.  The convoy is guarded by a wing of Lokis, designated Omega.”

-The text of the briefing screen 4  of 5 requires three small changes.  These changes will ensure it matches the voice acting.

Current Text:
"Once the fighters and freighters are eliminated, the mercenary freighters Synergy and Equinox will be signalled and arrive to collect the cargo.  They will be escorted by Hook wing. Assist them in covering the freighters while they collect the cargo and depart. The cargo raiders in the area, although a small force, have an uncanny ability to hunt out convoys under attack, or so I'm told."

Corrected Text: “Once the fighters and freighters are eliminated, the mercenary freighters Synergy and Equinox will be signaled and arrive to collect the cargo.  They will be escorted by Hook wing. So assist them in covering the freighters while they collect the cargo and then depart.  The cargo raiders in the area, although a small force, seem to have the uncanny ability to hunt out convoys under attack, or so I'm told.

-There is a spelling error in a line of dialogue from Shadow 2.

Current Message: “All three freighters have been destroyed. I'm signalling the Synergy and Equinox now.”

Corrected Message: “All three freighters have been destroyed. I'm signaling the Synergy and Equinox now.”

-Shadow wing does not automatically depart at the end of the mission.

-A section of the debrief needs to be slightly modified to match the voice acting.

Current Message: “Good work, Shadow, we got the cargo that we needed from the convoy. Those TC-TR1 units contained munitions and Hercules Mark II fighters. They'll give the mercs quite a punch in battle. Thankfully no GTVA personnel lost their lives on the vessels and the mercenaries did not catch onto our ruse.”

Corrected Message
: “Good work, Shadow, we got the cargo that we needed from the convoy. Those TC-TR1 units contained munitions and Hercules Mark II fighters.  That’ll give the mercs quite a punch in battle. Thankfully no GTVA personnel lost their lives on the vessels and the mercenaries did not catch onto our ruse.”

Mission 14: A Whispered Prayer

-The red quad arrow animation (I don’t know it’s actual name) does not circle around the  unknown pirates icon during the briefing.  You hear the corresponding sound.  You just don’t see the four arrows.  It’s on Stage 3 of 5 for the briefing.

-Shadow and Tachyon wing do not automatically engage jump drives at the end of the mission.

-One minor change is need to the debrief so that it matches the voice acting.

Current Message:
“Good work pilots. We got the goods we needed from the Whisperer aboard the Zenith safely and managed to get the Zenith out, despite heavy pirate presence. That cash will pay your fees, so give yourselves a big pat on the back.”

Corrected Message:
“Good work pilots. We got the goods we needed from the Whisperer aboard the Zenith safely and managed to get the Zenith out, despite heavy pirate presence. That cash will pay your fees, but give yourselves a big pat on the back.”

Mission 15: Return to the Hulk

-You start out to close to the rest of your wing.  You will get slightly brushed by one of them and lose 1% of your hull integrity.  Hitting your afterburners at the start of the mission will prevent this.  Changing the mission so you don’t start completely stopped might fix the problem.

-A line from Alpha 2 does not match the voice acting.

Current Message:
“Shadow, engage Lambda wing until the Escher arrives. You have limited authority to protect yourself.”

Corrected Message:
“Shadow, engage Lambda wing until the Escher arrives. You will have limited authority to protect yourself.”

-The GVCv Qualmotep begins to jump out before the Escher orders it to it.

-The last line of the GVCv Qualmotep is still being spoken as the ship jumps out.

-The only line of dialogue for GTSC Hawkins does not use voice acting.

Additional Information: I checked FRED and this line of dialogue does have an ogg file associated with it.  However, the audio file in question doesn’t exist in the vp.

Solution: The ogg audio file for this line of dialogue does actually exist.  However, the file name listed in FRED is not the correct one.  The correct filename is: dl15_hwk1.ogg

-The Escher has already jumped out when its last line of dialogue is shown.  I would estimate about 1-1.5 seconds has passed.  Keep in mind that is just an estimate though.  The line of dialogue is also shown as having originated from Command.

-Shadow wing does not automatically jump out at the end of the mission.

EDIT: I have refined these notes to match the style I used in later missions.  I also corrected several errors.  The most critical being that I left out the corrected version of a debrief.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 05:56:04 pm by Aurora Paradox »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Aurora, your work is an example for us all. :yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon