Archived Boards > Halo for FreeSpace

To-Do: FSO Upgrade

<< < (4/4)

Herra Tohtori:

--- Quote from: Devrous on February 21, 2011, 10:11:20 am ---Excellent summary. I have no problem dealing with tons of files - the naming convention alone takes care of things. I guess my misconception was that file size = faster load, as I was ignorant to the translation process for PCX. Thanks again; I feel smarter than I was 5 minutes ago  :yes:

Any way to batch convert the DDS files? My fingers may fall off if I try to resave every one of my DDS files one by one!

--- End quote ---

Load time matters for interface files - there the smaller filesize will result in better performance (smaller loading time), which is why PNG support was introduced - that allows lossless compression, which means smaller interface file size with no quality loss, which means 24/32-bit interface with comparative or only slightly higher load time performance to PCX, whereas with TGA's (even RLE TGA's) or uncompressed DDS files the loading times would be significantly higher.

In-game graphics, however, put a much bigger stress on the GPU and there the graphics memory load is the biggest worry, hence the extensive use of compressed DDS files, even though they take more space on the hard drive than other file types (PCX, PNG, TGA in some cases).

I suppose you can use irfanview to convert your DDS files to TGA/PNG and re-save those as DDS using nvDXT. If you have the original source files, though, it'd be better option to convert them directly to DDS, as consequtive DXT compressions will degrade quality cumulatively.

nvDXT, being a cmdline utility, has batch conversion in-built, but I have not had good luck trying to get it convert DDS to DDS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version