Archived Boards > Halo for FreeSpace

The Covenant Shield Problem

<< < (2/7) > >>

Devrous:

--- Quote ---Fighters can always fly under the capship shields to attack.
--- End quote ---

This is true. You could nuke em point blank but you'd, well, die  :D  The ships that you can actually do any real damage to without killing yourself have shields pretty close to the hull. However, those smaller vessels, such as dropships and scout ships, can be taken out by fighters even with shields up. Several wings can take a corvette but it would take either time or heavy armaments. Flying under the shields of the larger ships may prove fatal, as the larger ones have more powerful weapons with which to vaporize you. Realistically, though, you shouldn't be sending fighters against something that powerful.

The Longswords have ballistics (machine guns) that don't do enough damage to matter versus the larger ships, aside from subsystem targeting. Nukes would be the best bet, but due to the large blast radius and the fact that Covenant ships have point-defense lasers it isn't as easy.

I do have some strike missions that use nukes early in the campaign, but as the war raged on the UNSC started to run out of nukes quickly. I imagine they used nukes like they were candy in the beginning!

TL;DR: The over-arching theme in Human vs Covenant battles is a sad pattern of inspired victories on the human side, followed quickly by crushing defeat by massive retaliation. Unlike FreeSpace 2, where you at least felt like you were on even ground, conflict in the Halo Universe is very one-sided. Either they outpower you or they outnumber you.

The trick is to make the game fun despite all of this.

MatthTheGeek:
I don't think fighters can go through shields if they're up, in Halo canon. I remember pretty well a group of Spartans that had to wait for a covenant weapon to fire to go through the hole made to let it fire.

Pred the Penguin:
Well Spartans are pretty tiny compared to fighters. Maybe large objects can bully there way through, they'd still have to deal with any defense systems though.

starlord:
I'm in love with that corvette...

carbine7:

--- Quote from: Pred the Penguin on February 27, 2011, 09:06:12 pm ---Well Spartans are pretty tiny compared to fighters. Maybe large objects can bully there way through, they'd still have to deal with any defense systems though.

--- End quote ---
Does a MAC round qualify as large? :p
I've always envisioned Covenant shields as being impenetrable to anything from the outside except for terrible terrible damage (bad pun aside).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version