Archived Boards > Homeworld: Blue Planet

RELEASE - HWBP Classic Demo

<< < (3/15) > >>

Mikes:
Someone write GoG that they are still missing an essential game in their catalogue! :)

Aesaar:
This is goddamn brilliant.  You are awesome.

--- Quote ---Beam damage might not be entirely faithful to BP stats yet because the FSO engine and HW2 engine both treat beam damage in their own, weird and entirely different ways.
--- End quote ---
IIRC, HW2 Ion beam damage value is the damage done over a single shot, spread out over the duration in seconds.  HW2 only starts counting recharge rate after the shot is done, so wouldn't beam damage be the same if you plugged in the damage per pulse and beam lifetimes (available on the wiki) in the appropriate fields?

I still have no idea how FS2 calculates beam damage, but HW2 was fairly intuitive (though the numbers in the weapon file were not labelled).

You probably thought about this, I'm just interested in why it doesn't work.

Droid803:

--- Quote from: Aesaar on May 26, 2012, 06:10:57 pm ---I still have no idea how FS2 calculates beam damage...

--- End quote ---

FS2 beam damage per pulse (DPP) is approx Damage x Lifetime x [Beam Damage Rate Constant] (BDRC).
Where BDRC is approximately 5.5 for 1x time compression, and varies with time compression, maxing at somewhere around 8x IIRC, then dropping in efficiency when compared to 1x afterwards.
Kind of stupid, because time compression can actually break battles where beams are involved as going to high time compression makes it so that beams barely do any damage per pulse whereas everything else scales properly.

pecenipicek:

--- Quote from: Aesaar on May 26, 2012, 06:10:57 pm ---This is goddamn brilliant.  You are awesome.

--- Quote ---Beam damage might not be entirely faithful to BP stats yet because the FSO engine and HW2 engine both treat beam damage in their own, weird and entirely different ways.
--- End quote ---
IIRC, HW2 Ion beam damage value is the damage done over a single shot, spread out over the duration in seconds.  HW2 only starts counting recharge rate after the shot is done, so wouldn't beam damage be the same if you plugged in the damage per pulse and beam lifetimes (available on the wiki) in the appropriate fields?

I still have no idea how FS2 calculates beam damage, but HW2 was fairly intuitive (though the numbers in the weapon file were not labelled).

You probably thought about this, I'm just interested in why it doesn't work.

--- End quote ---
slasher beams arent exactly doable in HW2, hence the beam damage iffyness and the fact that the deimos was a whole lot more deadly than it was supposed to be for a long time during development.

Aesaar:
Right.  Forgot about slashers.  Hmm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version