Author Topic: Couple of mini-requests :-  (Read 3735 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Couple of mini-requests :-
1) Would it be possible to include rotating sub-objects for skyboxes, or maybe some kind of ability to scroll the UV cordinates similar to some animations in Unreal etc?

2) Any news on enabling animated glowpoints yet?

Flipside

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
bump-mapping too

I've been taking a break playing farcry and doom 3 on my new rig, and i think bumpmapping or normal mapping would help Freespace alot
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

More mini-requests, for FSNetD:
-Add "cancel" button to all those "logging" "validating" "searching  for server list" etc. screens. When I'm losing contact wth any server it takes veeery long to login again...
-Remove that dark red colour in multiplayer chatter before mission start, and replace it by some lighter one. Current dark red is ugly & too dark. It's difficult to see on dark monitors, like mine.
Expect the best. Be prepared for the worst.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
You can't cancel validation afaik I'm afraid, it's there to make sure everything is working, what's the poiint of getting onto a server faster if the connection is fubar or someones left some altered tables in place by accident?

I don't use MPlayer, but the second one sounds reasonable :)

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
making a skybox model spin shouldn't be too big of a hassle (famous last words again)
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Hmmmm.... actually, on this note, would it be hard to add an 'ignore Wing' alongside the 'ignore Ship' in the Orders menu?

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
what about animated glow points?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Glow points that fade in and out, rather than on-off.  It's been argued they look more realistic.  I'm neither here nor there on the matter, but the artsy folks insist that it looks like crap unless it gets improved.  I'm personally of the opinion that it's being used as an excuse not to actually use them, but I know someone will come along and argue with me before too long :)
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
LOL Well, mebbe just a little, but there was talk about making it possible to use ANI's as glowpoint textures, it was thought the easiest way of making them change colour or  fade more slowly etc ;)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by StratComm
Glow points that fade in and out, rather than on-off.  It's been argued they look more realistic.  I'm neither here nor there on the matter, but the artsy folks insist that it looks like crap unless it gets improved.  I'm personally of the opinion that it's being used as an excuse not to actually use them, but I know someone will come along and argue with me before too long :)

IMO, glowpoints were made somewhat redundant by the introduction of glowmaps, which're more versatile and easier to use anyway.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 05:11:46 am by 302 »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Well, they were introduced at roughly the same time.  Glowpoints can show more activity than an animated texture (since their on-off patterns are independent of one another, rather than being part of the same looping animation), and make good highlights in places that an animated texture wouldn't do justice (the end of sensor booms, etc) but on a fighter they are redundant.  The other advantage is that they are not accompained by the memory usage of an animated texture.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Both have their uses, though blooming may blur the line between the two a little more ;)

I've just remembered another one, I'm probably making my way fast onto the SCP hit list here, but what the hell ;)

There are sexp's to set individual obhects to face at other objects and there are sexp's to place an object in a set location. Any chance of a sexp that will set your ship on a set rotation, e.g.

ShipRoty=0 would set only the ships y-axis rotation to 0?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Flipside
I've just remembered another one, I'm probably making my way fast onto the SCP hit list here, but what the hell ;)

I'm sure once they see what (I think) most of this is for they'll call off the bounty hunters. ;)

Stratcomm: Between you and a discussion with a few others, I've been converted. I like glowpoints now :)
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
hmmm, i think a spinning skybox model would be really disorienting...
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Only the sub-model would be spinning, so you could use the fact that an additive texture is used to create rotating 'clouds' within the main static skybox :)

Originally posted by Flipside
Both have their uses, though blooming may blur the line between the two a little more ;)

There are sexp's to set individual obhects to face at other objects and there are sexp's to place an object in a set location. Any chance of a sexp that will set your ship on a set rotation, e.g.

ShipRoty=0 would set only the ships y-axis rotation to 0?

Why would you need that, particularly? The existing sexp allows you to face waypoints, which you could place in the right position. If you wanted to make a ship face a certain direction regardless of its position, you could go into the position editor and alter a waypoint so it's 20 million kilometers away, which would more or less do what you want.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Because if the object is travelling along a waypath etc, it doesn't work properly, you'd have to continuously order the ship to face the next waypoint, and if the ship has moved slightly above or below that waypoint, it will bank slightly. Theres some very precise manouvering going on in what I am planning, and the ship can't afford to deviate even 1' from the horizontal.

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
Originally posted by Turambar
bump-mapping too

that's not exactly a mini-request.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Lynx

I think if we really want to invent another texture feature, it should be detail maps.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.