Author Topic: FRED is awesome!  (Read 14260 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
:v: didn't go out of business at all. Interplay stopped them making anywhere near the kind of money they deserved from Freespace but I believe they broke even on FS2 and when :v: sold themselves to THQ they made quite a bit of money on the deal. They're still around now in fact, they made the Saints Row series.

Forgive the necropost (I was led to it through Gen Battuta's signature), but I think that having a killer campaign also requires excellent writing. Having a bunch of events and stuff in a campaign is cool, but it's meaningless in the end without a sensible plot and dialogue (*cough* Freespace 3: The Search for Bosh which I totally know was a parody *cough*)

We were talking about technical skills. Obviously you need to have a good story and you also need to have a good idea what makes a mission fun. But in terms of technical skills you can literally click on the editor for the first time and within a few hours be working on your own missions. I don't know of any other editor which has that kind of simplicity but also has the sheer power FRED does. Usually it's a trade off.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 11:49:57 pm by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]