Author Topic: FS2 on a macbook pro ?  (Read 7881 times)

Offline WALLY

FS2 on a macbook pro ?
Hi All.
My windows computer died, and ive replaced it with a macbook pro, back in 20 15, then life got in the way, so I have not thought about  FS2 for years, then the other day I noticed something about  FS2 for Mac, so I contacted GOG with my original purchase order numbers , and they said :
 " They do not make a MAC version, so they could not help, Sorry "

I have tried some of the old links, from the web, about using  wine, yet following the instructions, I get halfway through installing, then , instead of lines of update running,   I get the message " Winetricks Commands Finished " and the only  box that works, is the one  that says  " Close "

Then half the instructions  seem to contradict themselves, because to get  whatever  installer  to work, you have to have   FS 2 downloaded allready.

Obviously that will not work, on a Mac, so, is there a more updated way, to get Fs 2, on this Macbook pro from mid 20 15 now  on  OS High Sierra ??

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Wally

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: FS2 on a macbook pro ?
You can either use the FSO Installer or Knossos to install FSO on macOS. Both of them can extract the retail files from setup_freespace2_2.0.0.8.exe so you won't need wine. If you don't have that file, you can download it through GOG's website after logging in.

Offline WALLY

Thanks.

I tried the link to the  FSO Installer, that you posted, and the next page says, you must allready have FS 2 installed ? Which I cannot, as  GOG do not  have a mac version.
 Or, does it mean  I have to download the windows version onto the mac, then  download  the FSO installer ?

Ive never tried that knossos, but  from what Ive read, it sounds a bit like wine, to get it to work, you have to download several other things too ?

Wally

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
You don't need to have FS2 installed for the FSO Installer. I'm not sure why the page says that but I've tried the installer and it allows you to select the installer file from GOG.

You don't have to download anything else to get Knossos to work, just download the Knossos.dmg file and extract it the same way you would with other DMGs. Knossos can download mods for you, install and launch them. It has nothing to do with wine.

Offline WALLY

Ok , thanks, im in the UK  and its gone midnight , so ill leave it for now, and  re try tomorrow,  and I will keep you  updated, thanks for your help.
Goodnight
Wally.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Wally, you can also hop on the HLP Discord server, as well as posting here.  Might get more immediate response (but be sure to update here with any solutions you implemented, in case others have the same issue).

Offline WALLY

Thanks.   Ok, due to other stuff, I had to go to my boat, and going through the old stuff,   Ive  found my original   " Freespace 2 "  CD   which I purchased years ago.
Ok the   MacBook Pro, does      not     have a CD drive.

I can buy an external  CD / DVD  locally for  about  $ 20 , with a plug in   USB.

So,  if I bought the external  CD / DVD   drive, obviously the mac will not recognise a  windows  CD, but,  once ive downloaded the   FSO programme, that  you posted the link to,  will the  original  CD  FS 2 , load ?   Or is that, outdated ?   

Yes there is a  Mac external  CD / DVD drive, at about  3 X the price, but presumably the Mac drive, will not recognise a windows  CD ?

Or, should I forget the original CD, and  just work on  your  download   instructions   ?

Thanks in advance

:confused:

Offline WALLY

Wally, you can also hop on the HLP Discord server, as well as posting here.  Might get more immediate response (but be sure to update here with any solutions you implemented, in case others have the same issue).

Thanks,  I am not very good at this computer stuff, so, for now, i ll stay here, with help from  ngld , rather  than receive a lot of different ways  to try, by well meaning  experts.
  I have noticed, over time, that a lot of  advice, given with the best of intentions,  end up , like the  old  Whale Soup recipie ..........
Whale Soup....
First,  Catch a  Whale....Then.....

In the old  days, just because you  had learned how to use a telephone, with the  A button, and the B button, nobody expected you to know , how to build a telephone  exchange .  :lol:

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
So, I ended up trying to install FSO on my new MAC using Goober's installer and the Gog version (not sure where my cd's are), and innoextract is failing to extract the package into the directory. Gog only provides an exe for FS2 as well, so it looks like it's really difficult to currently install FS2 on a MacBook.  (Barring possible problems with my specific setup)

I also can't figure out how to get Knossos to try to install FS2.  Is there a way to reset it to give me the start screen again?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Wally, ngld is on the HLP Discord server, as well as most of the other people that are regularly on here.

Also, please clarify: you do own FS2 Windows edition on GOG, right?  If so, you can still manually download the Windows FS2 GOG edtion to a Mac (just the file, I know it won't load ona Mac, but I'm getting there), and then the FSOpen Installer should be able to extract the needed files from that.

So basically, download the GOG edition FS2 installer file, and use FSOpen Installer.  FSOpen Installer will ask for FS2 Retail source, point it at that GOG file you downloaded (actually, if you own GOG FS2 and you're already logged in to your account on GOG's website, you can directly download it here.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
@WALLY: The FSO Installer can't use the FS2 CDs as far as I'm aware. If you don't already own FS2 on GOG, I'd recommend buying it rather than an external CD drive since it's cheaper than $20. Also, if you try to use the original CDs you probably will have to install the patches which will make this much more complicated than using the GOG installer.

@Cyborg17: You can delete the ~/.knossos directory to reset Knossos to it's initial state. If you just want to install the retail files, you can also go to the settings screen (click on the cog in the upper right corner) and click the blue "Install Retail" button.
Knossos also uses innoextract so if it fails, I'd appreciate it if you could send me any error messages you encounter.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
If you just want to install the retail files, you can also go to the settings screen (click on the cog in the upper right corner) and click the blue "Install Retail" button.
Knossos also uses innoextract so if it fails, I'd appreciate it if you could send me any error messages you encounter.
So...  I don't see the blue install retail button in the settings screen...

Offline WALLY

Hi Again.
Some work got in the way, however, I read all  your replies, thanks !

Ok so far Im back into my old GOG account, and I downloaded the GOG galaxy . However, when I click on FS2  in my library,  the page opens, 
but... The   " Download " box, is greyed out, and not working. I have tried everything, in my limited knowledge of these things and I cannot find an alternative route to use, to  download FS 2.

What next ?  Thanks in advance.
Oh  HECK ? Dunno what I did ??    but now ,  Setup_freespace2_ 2.0.0.8.exe  is downloading !!!  Got about 32 mins to wait ! before I can check if its  opening & working ::  :confused:  here´s hoping !

OK, Ive got the exe file, in the downloads box, but,  on double clicking the download,  it comes up with  " Safari Cannot Open The File "

What Now   :confused:  OK  I also downloaded that  " FreeSpaceOpeninstaller.jar "  but im not getting them to work together.

I can see I purchased  FS2  Nov 09 2011, but, with all the  new stuff, do I have to buy  the  game , again ?
Wally
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 01:01:01 pm by WALLY »

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
First of all, sorry for the late reply.

To start the FSO Installer you need to have Java installed. I'm not quite sure how that works on macOS, sorry... =/
Once you start the installer, it will then ask you about the retail files. You'll have three options and the first one should be for the GOG installer. Select that option and point it to the setup_freespace2_2.0.0.8.exe file.

@Cyborg17: Knossos probably thinks you already have the retail files and you'll have to delete the FS2 folder from the data directory you selected on your first run. After that, restart Knossos and the button should show up. There's also a bug in Knossos 0.7.1 which causes mod installation to fail that was recently discovered. It'll be resolved by 0.7.4 which should be released today if all goes well.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
How to install Java on Mac OS X High Sierra:  http://osxdaily.com/2017/06/29/how-install-java-macos-high-sierra/

Then you can open the FreeSpace Open Installer, which will ask for the GOG FS2 setup file at some point.

Offline WALLY

Hi Again.
The saga continues..

So far, I have verified that my Java is up to date.

I have downloaded  the  FreeSpaceOpeninstaller.Jar v 2.3.0.   also,  Setup_freespace2_2.0.0.8.exe .

Also the Galaxy client_1.2.3 1.8 pkg.

Then I got prompted to download "  openAl "  but, once i found the page, there are 2  different  downloads,  1 says OpenAl  1.1 windows   and the other says   OpenAl 1.1core SDK.
I downloaded both, and I tried to open them, and a box comes up saying  the file cannot be opened.

I can see, that I have all the files, and on using the jar launcher, it goes through all the lines and green balls, then says :

"  Installation Complete, All mods installed succesfully "

Then  I just had to click on " Finish "

However, there is no Icon  or way to start the game. 

A friend, found the  freespace folder, somewhere on the hard drive , as it was not showing in the usual   Finder or Launchpad  . So I moved the folder to  the  Applications page, and  clicking on it, opens it up and shows all the files .

Do I need to click on one of the files in the freespace folder , to start it, or am I missing something else ?

There seem to be several files ending in   exe, but having  got so far, I do not want to mess it all up, by randomly clicking on files I know  nothing about. 

Thanks
Wally

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Can you post a screenshot of your folder? If you don't have wxLauncher in there, you'll probably have to download it from here.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Wally, OpenAL should be pre-installed on your Mac already, so you don't have to worry about that.  As ngld said, you'll need wxLauncher, so either find that and drag it to Applications, or download it from the link above.

Offline WALLY

I have the wxlauncher ,  in the freespace 2 folderbut clicking on it  does nothing, anyway  some screen shots  .

https://i.imgur.com/MxZbGNS.png[/img]/url]

[url]/url]

[url

[url[/url]

https://i.imgur.com/dewSLYa.png[/img]/url]

[url]/url]

[url

[url]/url]

[url]/url]

[url]/url]

Hope this helps ???
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 03:04:19 pm by WALLY »

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Please move the fs2_open_... applications back into your FS2 folder (where the root_fs2.vp file is). Then you need to select that folder as "Game root folder" in wxLauncher. The FS2 Open executable field should now allow you to select the 3.8.0 version. Once that works, go to the Mods tab and enable the MediaVPs mod. You should now be able to click on "Play" (in the lower right corner).