Author Topic: Space Marine  (Read 24167 times)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Don't forget the Tau.  Tau would awesome to fight as IG/Astartes because it's basically everything the IG does, but instead of tanks they have walking tanks, and everything else is better.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
They need to get Dan Abnett to write for them, because then maybe we could have an awesome tactical Imperial Guard FPS in the vein of Republic Commando

Unless he writes out a rehash of Brothers of the Snake, his fetish for scene changes is going to prevent this.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
He wrote the Ultramarines movei..and it sucked.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
rememeber the wooden bridge thing?

god i cringed -.-
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
The trouble is that there's no way to really progress a story with a single antagonist.

If you only use the orks, yay greenskins all the way thru.  Same for dem chaos boyz and dem Eldar.  It's boring. 

The problem is that no one other than the IG works on the scale that the Astartes do. 

The Eldar like to sneak around and manipulate, that's they're schick in a story more.  They're devious and manipulative, more out of arrogance than any actual malice.  Also, while they probably could make mince meat out of the Space Marines if enraged to the point of direct war, they haven't marched on a planet with conquest in mind for thousands of years.

The Orks are large, and do things BIG, but you don't fly around to a half dozen different worlds during a campaign and fight a green tide that all pay homage to the same Warboss.  The Orks don't work that way, and because of it, they're not a "large" threat.  Certainly not capable of being the big bad for a whole campaign.

Chaos does thing big, but like the Eldar they like to skulk and corrupt before revealing themselves.  And when they do reveal, they have a tendency to do themselves in with infighting and backstabbing.  Again, not a good basis for a singular campaign villain.

To tell an engaging if not actually interesting tale in a campaign, it takes more than just one of the enemy races.  Because none of them are a whole villain.

That's not my point, this is my point:

That's not what he's saying, he's saying he's sick of that recycled plot that Relic has used for most of their Warhammer games ever.

Orks and Chaos are not the only antagonists in the 40k universe. Every description of the Imperium says "beset from all sides by a myriad of foes", you have Chaos, Nids, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Orks, Tau, Necron (that's 7 different factions) PLUS traitors, heretics, mutants and etc within the Imperium and the own forces of the Imperium which are at each other's throats and you're telling me that again they have to rehash the old invasion of Orks>(insert manipulative Eldar here if you want a twist)>greater threat of Chaos?

Now, I'm not saying this will be a bad game, even if its the same old plot if done in a interesting way it'll be good which I'm hoping it will be.

we could have an awesome tactical Imperial Guard FPS in the vein of Republic Commando

This. :yes:

You could easily have a Karskin/Storm trooper squad in such a game or maybe Inquisitorial Storm troopers, it would be cool a tactical game while you fight to protect your squad or yourself from heretical taints.

Damn shame Republic Commando was so short, awesome game.

god i cringed -.-

Thankfully a few scenes after that real marines of the Imperial Fists showed up and movie got better, well, at least until they died...

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

god i cringed -.-

Thankfully a few scenes after that real marines of the Imperial Fists showed up and movie got better, well, at least until they died...
I found the whole deal very painful to watch, to be honest... -.-

There's a WH40K mod for Operation Flashpoint. It's somewhat clunky and the engine is showing it's age though. It mostly uses models from DoW. You can use melee weapons, but in practice they are really hard to use or don't seem to work at all.

I haven't tried it, but the Titan mod sounds like it would be cool. I hope they don't swivel on the spot when turning like the soldier models do. :wtf:

(From an engineering standpoint, would a machine as big as a Warlord or even a Warhound even be capable of walking?)

There's a Fallout 3 40k mod in the works too, I think.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
(From an engineering standpoint, would a machine as big as a Warlord or even a Warhound even be capable of walking?)

Absolutely.

It's just the sort of surfaces it could walk on make up a very very limited percentage of the surface of any particular planet.

A Feddie Story

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

Absolutely.

It's just the sort of surfaces it could walk on make up a very very limited percentage of the surface of any particular planet.
well, these are 40k titans. they might as well flatten up stuff they are trying to cross if it doesnt like the way it tilts :p

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Soft ground, they sink in, they stumble...at best.

A Feddie Story

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
I've never understood Titans particularly, any gun big enough to require one for deployment would probably be just as useful from orbit or from a sky fortress of some kind.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

The Imperium of Man lacks the ability to accurately target things from orbit, relying instead on massed firepower to obliterate everything in an area.  And they can't do sky fortresses, as those things fly and the Imperium can't figure out how to make anything besides the Land Speeder fly.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
So they'll build a 200 story mech because they can't comprehend how to either build a bigger hover drive or simply strap 5000 of them to the bottom of a heavily fortified platform?  Hell, excepting the titans themselves, I suspect that the modern military would give them a run for they're money...
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline mxlm

Really? That's where you want to apply logic to the Warhammerverse?
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
The Imperium of Man lacks the ability to accurately target things from orbit, relying instead on massed firepower to obliterate everything in an area.

Considering the ranges involved, I'd say that their ability to call in a lance strike is actually pretty accurate. (Though the power level has varied wildly from the days of the original Daemonhunters 'dex.)

A Feddie Story

So they'll build a 200 story mech because they can't comprehend how to either build a bigger hover drive or simply strap 5000 of them to the bottom of a heavily fortified platform?  Hell, excepting the titans themselves, I suspect that the modern military would give them a run for they're money...
I shall Wiki this for great justice!
From smallest to largest:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Warhound_Scout_Titan
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Reaver_Battle_Titan
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Warlord_Battle_Titan
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Emperor_Titan
The Emperor is only 55m tall in scale diagrams, so I'm going to say that the ridiculous sizes in artwork is artistic license.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Emperors have been said to be larger. The Adeptus Titanicus rules and some stuff in Epic had them as nearly a kilometer and able to carry an aircraft carrier on their back, and Warlords have been placed at 55 by the same stuff.

A Feddie Story

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Big fan of the artillery-oriented Warmonger, myself.

There are certainly some strategic advantages to being able to move your artillery firebases around. Granted, air-strikes would be worrisome, but that's what void shields are for. Plus, some of the larger arm-mounted cannons can engage targets in low orbit, so even space-based assets aren't safe.

Right, so there's been multiplayer news, and multiplayer looks awesome.
Multiplayer Preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALMlPkddxnE&feature=player_embedded
Marine Customizer is confirmed and awesome: http://www.spacemarine.com/gb/blog-post/warhammer-40000-space-marine-multiplayer-customizer

EDIT: A developer talks about multi, and has gameplay sequences: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2sCb8gia1o
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:32:49 pm by SpardaSon21 »

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I'm kinda partial to these sizes:

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2010/110/7/b/Warlord_Titan_by_GolgothisTitanicus.jpg

B.t.w - that small gameplay part showed a titan Volcano cannon. It is utterly HUMONGOUS. Looks like they went with the artistic portraly of titans. YAY!!!!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!