Author Topic: Coruscant revisited  (Read 5150 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I heard from someone that Coruscant was first introduced to the public via Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy.

Now, I know Coruscant was mentioned in the TIE Fighter game, but that was ~1994. The question is if Coruscant was mentioned in the X-Wing game, and if so, when did X-Wing come out? The Zahn book was June '91 - was that before X-Wing?

Basically what I'm getting at is trying to confirm or disperse the rumor that Coruscant in an original Zahn invention. If true, it shows that Zahn's books, at least, can be considered canon, as far as I'm concerned.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/coruscant/bts.html

So Yes and No - It depends greatly on your Point of View :D
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

The name Coruscant was coined by Zahn, but the galatic capital covered in buildings was Lucas'. At one point Vader was supposed to visit the Emperor on Coruscant in ROTJ, but that was dropped early in preproduction.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Yes Coruscant was in X - Wing.

X Wing historical mission 3 IIRC, the infamous Coruscant minefield mission. Bleh.

And Zahn is too widely accepted (Cloning, Coruscant, Victory Stars, Ysalamiri) to not be canon as even Lucas directly accepts his work.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
not sure he was the first to imagine a city-world, but probably you have to thank asimov too for coruscant, that is very very close to trantor

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Knight Templar
Yes Coruscant was in X - Wing.

X Wing historical mission 3 IIRC, the infamous Coruscant minefield mission. Bleh.

And Zahn is too widely accepted (Cloning, Coruscant, Victory Stars, Ysalamiri) to not be canon as even Lucas directly accepts his work.

Ok, so in that case, did X-Wing come out before 1991?

Even if it didn't, I'd say that pretty much everything Zahn has introduced can be considered "unofficial canon", for lack of a better term. Basically, inclusion of things Zahn introduced should not cause trouble with any but the most ardent Star Wars fanatics.

Go Shieldships! Go Mole Miners! Go GadgetCopter- ooops. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
91'?? Hell no :)

I was an addict when it came out. (literally, almost everyday after school I would have my mom drive me to my cousins house and I would completely ignore him, but play X-Wing all day :D )

anyways, story short - It was out in .. *checks box*

*notes he couldn't possibly have the box anymore although he rebought it from a fleamarket 2 years ago*

best guess using the fact that XWA came out in 96.. 92'?

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
Sweet. Made in 1992. Copywrited in 1993.

Patent number 5,315,057. :D

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Drat. After Zahn's book. Oh well, I still say that in a twisted sort of way, Zahn's concepts are more 'official' then Ep. I & II at least. :p ;)

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing

I'll believe THAT when I see a Victory-Class Star Destroyer causing trouble in Ep III........:sigh:

Won't happen of course......:(
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
What makes you think we won't see them? Even in the CCG by Decipher.. the lore of Gen. Dadonna said he was a captain of a Vic.. if they are goiiing to make cameo's (to be cool) or anything.. they'll need Vics. They are too accepted to not be put in.

Lucas would be a fool (one of his worse mistakes) if he kept it out.

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
Agreed.

As far as I'm concerned, if the Victory class Star Destroyer hadn't been designed and built, there wouldn't even have been an Empire in the first place!

The ImpStar was only created AFTER Palpatine was in total control.:nod:
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
Lucas already made a big mistake by turning Ep I and Ep II into a set of jokes with that stupid alien with that long tongue, wouldnt be suprised if he left vics out.

Well, he tried to make up for EP I by having Jar-Jar singlehandedly create the Empire by giving Palpatine total control of the Senate.  Of course it didn't make up for the disaster that was Ep. I, but I thought it was a nice touch of poetic justice.

Go VSDs!

Originally posted by Shiva Archon
by having Jar-Jar singlehandedly create the Empire by giving Palpatine total control of the Senate.

hey! someone had to do that... Palpatine was a politician (and a pretty damn good one...), so he would never have done that directly...
----------------------------------------------
GTD Swiss Pride - Orion Class
Swiss 1st Fleet, Sector 32 - Ore Belt - Sol
----------------------------------------------
"I'm an engineer!"

Eve: Since Beta Phase 2
Civilizazion Fan: Seems like forever...
SimCity Fan: SC 2000 is still the best
TT Fan: Since 1995
Switzerland: Since 1291

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Killfrenzy

I'll believe THAT when I see a Victory-Class Star Destroyer causing trouble in Ep III........:sigh:

Won't happen of course......:(

The Starwars.com site says there are Victory Star Destroyers (see entry for Acclamator transports). There will probably be at least a prototype in Episode III.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
The official position is that ANY novel other than the novelizations of the movies is part of the EU. If something from the novels gets put into a movie, such as Coruscant (Only the name is Zahn's, and it is Zahn's) or the YT-2400 (from Shadows of the Empire) then that becomes canon, but the work it is derived from is still Expanded Universe. Likewise, if an item from an Infinities work is incorperated in the Expanded Universe, then the item itself is EU, but the original work is still Infinities.
At this time, the canon consists first and foremost of the movies. After that, the novelisations and Radio Dramas are canon, but if they are contradicted by the movies, the movies take precendence. Etcetera on down. The Incredible Cross Sections books may be lowest-level canon, as they are derived directly from the movies and comments have been made to that effect. But the EU is a perfectly valid source for information, at least moreso than fanfiction, so I don't see why you bring it up.

If anyone disputes this, I can go get my quotes list.

Oh, and the Star Wars.com site has no official standing as a resource that I am aware of.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
i don't care how relevant it is, I vote we ban woolie the next time he bumps a 6 month old topic. :doubt:

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Anaz

i don't care how relevant it is, I vote we ban woolie the next time he bumps a 6 month old topic. :doubt:

agreed....it's getting really annoying
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Generally, it is frowned upon, yes. But generally, it is bumpped by the likes of "Cool render!" or the ironic "Will you guys stop bickering already! Grow up, get a life!" remark. ;)

But in this case, I don't mind that much.