Author Topic: Starborn FAQ  (Read 86031 times)

Offline Geezer

• Methuselah
The Starborn FAQ page is up.

If you've got questions or comments, this is the place  :cool:
If a man walks in the desert and speaks where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
that's some cool philosophical Scifi **** there man.:yes: :yes:
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Stunaep

Oh, I have the following question.

Why didn't the starborn stop the collapsing of the Gamma Draconis - Capella jump node. They did want it to remain open, didn't trhey
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The shivans have other ways into GTVA space and the Starborn were too surprised by the shivans blowing up Capella to do anything much about the GD-Capella node
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Geezer

• Methuselah
All true :)

There's also this:

The collapse of a jumpnode is a minor inconvenience to the Starborn.  It merely means that a Starborn has to use a little more energy to get to (or from) subspace.  Any jumpnode was originally just a weak spot in the energy ‘wall’ between subspace and normal space.  It became what we recognize as a jumpnode by the Starborn using it as the easiest path in their travels.  The Starborn will simply find another nearby weak spot and start to use it.  After thousands of passages, the new spot may show up on the Shivan Groupmind’s sensors as a jumpnode.  After hundreds of thousands of passages, GTVA sensors will also register it.

As far as the Starborn ‘preventing’ anything, keep in mind that the Starborn have very little physical presence in the universe.  They are best thought of as energy beings.  While their ability to manipulate energy is vast, their ability to manipulate solid matter is almost non-existent.  The best they’ve been able to do with solid matter is to shift a few molecules at a time.  (The molecules they shift are usually in the genes of the races that they’re changing for the Great Game.)  The only way they could prevent something physical from happening is through the use of their ‘game pieces’ – those individual members of Coldlife races that can hear Starborn thoughts and act on their suggestions.
If a man walks in the desert and speaks where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Originally posted by Stunaep
that's some cool philosophical Scifi **** there man.:yes: :yes:

This is going to be a sweet mod :nod:
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Stunaep

Originally posted by Knight Templar

This is going to be a sweet mod :nod:

And it's 40% done (according to their progress meter). YES!

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
It's very impressive... It's one of those few mods for any game that i've seen in which the story grabs the attention of the player and explains everything clearly... Sounding awesome...
Oh, where does the Knossos come in? Do the starborn mind?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2003, 09:25:11 am by 103 »
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
The knossos would "spread the bush" so to speak from what they say, at least that's how I take it.

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Geezer

• Methuselah
KT's got it right.  Remember that the jumpnodes are no more than a convenience to the Starborn.  It probably wouldn't matter one way or another to them if they encountered an artificial one.

To pound the 'Walking in the Woods' metaphor to death, the traveler wouldn't care very much if he noticed that the neighborhood dogs had made their own small hole in the bushes.  Of course, that opinion would change if he kept stepping in piles of yesterday's dog food.  But that's what the Shivan Dog Extermination Team is for...:wink:

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
woa.. it's all falling into place and making sense.. :D

*Is really gonna like MOD*

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Anymore updates guys?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 09:44:23 pm by 368 »

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Originally posted by Unknown Target
Anymore updates guys?

Not really big ones. We have almost all cutscenes finished (7-8 mins), the weapons are pretty much done (they are really cool :nod:  ) and all we are now lacking is missions and a few models. 6 or 7 missions are in beta-stage.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
So there may be a release 1 soon if progress continues as is?
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
We are planning a demo release first which will set the scene for the main MG campaign.

The demo will be followed by the main campaign release. At the moment we have no plans for MG release 2 although in the style of FS1 & FS2 we'll be leaving plenty of room for a possible follow on.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
I look forward to it.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Can the Starborn sire/create new races or evolve them to a higher level?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
If they took long enough about it they probably could. I doubt they'd bother though unless they thought they could do it without making them a threat and only if the new race would make the great game more interesting.

Offline Geezer

• Methuselah
I would think that the SB have many projects going on at the same time - in various degrees of completion.  When (and if) the SB figure out that the Shivan Groupmind is intentionally trying to kill them, things would definitely change.  I'd expect that the SB would destroy any Groupmind ship that they come across,  while at the same time putting a moratorium on any other race's development.  Once the Groupmind was gone, the SB would have to figure out what to do about replacing it.  Once the replacement was ready, the SB would again return to the development of other races.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Are the Starborn the only "hot" race, and if so why?

...and also I'd like to register my objection to the use of a horrible plot device. I want enemies I can at least fight. Not necessarily win, but at least fight. (Like say, the Shivans.)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story