Author Topic: HTL Ursa  (Read 32409 times)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Yeah, whatever it's called this week.  The one that contains the defaults for things like the thrusterglows.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
EDIT: Ah, the power of scaling. I've got it, welded up without much trouble. Anything in particular that needs special attention?

Just a cocpit of some sort... I struggled with that. Zods are tough.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Excellent job on the Ursa.
        I do not know if this has been pointed out, but switching between OpenGL mode and D3D changes the texture of the Ursa. While in OpenGL mode, the texture is low resolution and I believe is the same texture that can be found in the media vps that was described earlier in this thread. D3D mode has the better looking texture. Is there a reason why the modes switch out the textures? Could it be because the files have not been placed within the 3.6.8 vps yet? Thanks.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Well, if it's using the defualt texture in openGL the UV mapping should be totaly incorrect because i remapped it to one big texture.

I havent seen this happening though.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Are you referring to the low res texture to be the default texture? Would you like me to provide pictures of the different textured Ursas that I am getting, because everything looks fine to me, other than one texture is clearer and more detailed than the other.

OpenGL

D3D

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
They are both definitley using the texture i supplied in those shots, though it does look worse in OGL

Do you have mip-mapping on?
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

At the time I took both screenshots, yes. I tried to enable and disable that to see if I would get better results with the OpenGL Ursa, but it didn't solve the problem. Do you know what could be the cause of these variations?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 09:57:47 pm by m2258734a »

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
No idea, no idea at all.
actualy, mabye not.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
check the individual mipmap and texture quality settings for OGL and D3D in your graphics card control panel, perhaps somewhere theyre set differently
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline SnakeEyes

• Lost generation
I have had problems with model textures looking worse on OGL or D3D before, due to the custom settings I provided to the card outside FSO.
I feel like an exile......

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Part of the problem with those screenshots is the lighting difference.  That's not the only difference of course, they can just do things differently period.  And the OGL code doesn't do all of the same things that the D3D code does (most that's a good thing).  I would like to figure out why in the hell that AA doesn't work properly though since that's been bothering me for some time.  Currently just pushing the anisotropic filter up for OGL can improve quality a bit, as can using trilinear filtering.  I'm not really sure what D3D uses as a default anistropic filter setting but OGL has it off by default.

Also, OGL doesn't change the lod bias for mipmaps like D3D does so in the same view of the same ship you could be looking at a different mipmap level.  Playing with the lod bias can be sorta neat with certain effects, but D3D appears to use it more to artificially improve texture detail.  It's not really providing more detail to the map but just allows it to use a higher res map than it really needs to.  It looks good, but can hurt rendering speed a bit.  That's why I haven't put the same thing in the OGL code.  Also realize that the "3D Hardware Textures" detail slider in the game affects OGL differently than D3D at the moment.  In OGL it changes what the max mipmap level that can be used is (if an image has mipmaps), or if there are no mipmap levels it can resize the image to be a little smaller.  In D3D I'm not even sure if it does anything, and if it does it's not as complete as what the OGL code does so you may get lower detail textures in OGL because the detail slider actually works there.

Offline bfobar

I can make my Ursa look either grainy like your first (OGL) pic or smooth like your second (D3D) pic by only using openGL and fiddling with my driver-level settings to globally force or deny Anti aliasing and antistropic filtering. My best guess is that somewhere you have a setting, maybe in your display adapter setup,forcing either Direct3D to always use high quality rendering, or a setting OpenGL to never use it.

I've never noticed a problem with AA other than that my graphics card can't produce an acceptable FS framerate while doing it, but I expect that with my hardware.

When I first posted on this thread, I was confused to why the Ursa was one of the few ships that tend to look fuzzy in OGL mode. The new Lucifer, as well as the Triton's cargo container had similar texture issues. After reading everyone's replies, I checked to make sure if I had any custom settings for OGL and D3D mode, but they were both at their default settings. 3D Hardware textures was also set at its maximum. So I experimented with the settings, and I discovered that increasing the quality settings of D3D enhances the quality in OGL mode. So everything looks fine now in OGL. But I wonder why only the Ursa, the Lucifer, and the TC-Tri were affected in the first place and not any other ship (wondering about the whole "D3D enhancing OGL", too, though there must be a good reason). Anyways, thanks for the help.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Large maps.  The ships you are describing all have maps with at least one side 2048 pixels long, and downscaling them may be causing odd behavior.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline bfobar

I could tell that the Ursa had a big cockpit area, but did the HTL version really need a vasudan soup kitchen? I think it's slave labor and a GTVA conspiracy.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Okay, now I NEED to update the model!
actualy, mabye not.

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
Okay, now I NEED to update the model!

hi,
?! why, thats funny.
i think its a good easteregg.
a long patrol, they need a loot of coffee *g* and anybody who tell a story to sleep well :D.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Seeing that I realize the Ursa could be a lot like the B-2, it could have a toilet behind the 2 seater cockpit... but don't add that in!