Author Topic: German Linux-Guide  (Read 3048 times)

Offline chaotic

I wrote a German fs2 open guide:

http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Spiele/Freespace_2

Its an Ubuntu-wiki but there is nothing ubuntu-specific except for package names which may vary on non-debian-based  distros

I made it in 3 parts:

Installation -> Where to download and install or compile the game
Configuration -> How to configure the game and how to install and start mods
Total conversions -> beyond the red line, wing commander saga and babylon 5...to be continued  ;)

If you find anything wrong, please tell me!

Hi, i'm thankfull for the how to... but can i ask you a favor? can you tranlate it for english? :s
I'm having a hard time making the game work properlly  and i can't read german...

Thks :)
I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep. That's deep enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas? - Jean Kerr

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

No, because it's very uncomplete....

i dont know how to meke the fs2_open o use de mediavps and stuff :\
I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep. That's deep enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas? - Jean Kerr

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
AFAIK that is done in same as with Windows... Well with exception that i do not know if there is a Linux or crossplatform launcher. So you have to write the command line by yourself (basically launcher is just GUI for command line). To get mediavps enabled you need to place them into a directory under the main freespace directory and then use the 'mod' feature to access them.

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Fs2_open_on_Linux/Graphics_Settings
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Fs2_open_on_Linux/StartUp_Script
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

I'only posted on the forum because i had already look there, searched the forum and google... please dont take me so litely, i may be a noob at this game but still, i know that i have to RTFM and i did....

Thanks anyway

Offline chaotic

Quick and dirty:
1. Create a new folder for Fs2 (i. e. /usr/local/games/fs2_open)
2. Download Turey's Java-Installer here
3. Run it with
Code: [Select]
java -jar FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jarChoose the directory u created in 1.
4. Don't choose "Say yes to all"...next step:
5. If you only want Fs2 Open choose "Freespace 2 Retail Core", "3.6.8 Zeta MediaVPs With 710 Patches", ".OGG Cutscenes" and "3.6.8 Zeta Advanced MediaVPs With 710 Patches"
6. Grab the Loki Installer here
chmod +x fs2_open-3.6.9.run
./fs2_open-3.6.9.run
choose the directory u created in 1.

So you have the Game. Configuration:

1. Create the file ~.fs2_open/data/cmdline_fso.cfg with your editor. Here you can type in all options you always want play with, i. e.
-spec -glow -mipmap -missile_lighting -dualscanlines -targetinfo -rearm_timer -ballistic_gauge -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -env -alpha_env -img2dds
or (for high-end)
-spec -glow -env -mipmap -2d_poof -noscalevid -missile_lighting -cache_bitmaps -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -alpha_env  -spec_exp 16.7 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.9 -spec_tube 1.0 -ambient_factor 50 -ogl_spec 80 -fov 0.675 -ship_choice_3d -img2dds
2. for a higher resolution see http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Fs2_open_on_Linux/Graphics_Settings
3. thats it! start the game with
fs2_open -mod mediavps

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Quick and dirty:
1. Create a new folder for Fs2 (i. e. /usr/local/games/fs2_open)
2. Download Turey's Java-Installer here
3. Run it with
java -jar FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jarChoose the directory u created in 1.
4. Don't choose "Say yes to all"...next step:
5. If you only want Fs2 Open choose "Freespace 2 Retail Core", "3.6.8 Zeta MediaVPs With 710 Patches", ".OGG Cutscenes" and "3.6.8 Zeta Advanced MediaVPs With 710 Patches"

Installer includes the Linux binaries, no need for the loki installer.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.