Author Topic: BTL Y-Wing (Model Complete, again)  (Read 26941 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: BTL Y-Wing (Model Complete, 09/26/07)
Okay, here we go, first wip of highpoly Y-Wing:

:jaw:  :eek2:

Offline Tempest

• The Star Wars Conversion
    • The Fate of the Galaxy - SWC
A couple thousand pollies will make virtually no performance difference if you're using the same size texture. It will also be hard to even see that detail in the first place, so...
"... and the klingons also were the soviet's space program. i mean can you really believe that a bunch of communist farmers can make rockets like that?"
-Axem

My photobucket: with all my shiny new stuff on it! http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/Tempest_77/

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
new progress shot

« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 12:46:06 am by brandx0 »
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
It's all good and nice, but not all of us have high-end computers to handle a squadron of such fighters on-screen, not to mention that there might be other craft displayed at the same time.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
It's all good and nice, but not all of us have high-end computers to handle a squadron of such fighters on-screen, not to mention that there might be other craft displayed at the same time.

All of the detail on the engine pods is very fine, on the model it would be raised probably no more than a few centimeters each, and could probably best be done with texturing.  On the frame itself, I tried to put the most major details in, about the only thing missing is a few of the tubes, which I could add in, but would shoot the polycount way up.  On further inspection I think I might add them in and try to keep the polycount under 6k, but this thing's a monster on polies (rounded shapes plus greebles = ouch)
needs more pipes on the main body
I'm going to be doing a higher poly version of this model, after doing some research on the way FS handles polies and the like.  Probably going to add an addition 1 to 2 thousand more tris to it.

Hush you!!  ;)  Listen, you have to have a cutoff point... either you can always be catering to those still running a 500MHz PIII with 192 MB RAM and (stupidly) Windows XP, or, you realize that they can turn their detail settings down:p

Offline Shade

Yep, all they have to do is drop the model detail slider and *poof*, a bunch of the polygons are gone. Why do people so often seem to forget that this game has detail settings? Effectively, anyone with an HTL capable card should be able to run this game at some detail setting even when using very high poly models. The real problems actually come with overly-large textures (or a huge number of not-quite-so-overly-large ones), since cards from the early HTL era are severely memory impaired.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline nobbit

This looks absolutley awesome and it`s the best ingame Ywing i have ever seen!!! :yes:
If only i could model in the same way :( - so many ideas and so much to lern....

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah, and his hope is that with enough detail on the model, he can drop the texture size, making it actually faster overall.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
This looks absolutley awesome and it`s the best ingame Ywing i have ever seen!!! :yes:
If only i could model in the same way :( - so many ideas and so much to lern....

Well just keep on playing around, and move off of sketchbook, it doesn't handle models the way that most real modeling programs do.  I don't have any suggestions for free ones, unfortunately.  Just keep working, do a lot of tutorials on geometry and the like and you'll get better.

Oh, and stay in school and don't do drugs.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline nobbit

... for the ferrys i  use sketchup no longer. It`s made with blender... Think that was my mistake (from sketchbook... again) Oh and i`m a bit to old for school :D... Maybe next time... as teacher!!! But for learning Blender you are sooo right... i will learn and don't do drugs :D :D :D

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
you can always acquire an infinite-day trial of max 8, then i can help out a bit

and alcohol and pot don't count as drugs right?  :nervous:
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Depends on whether you're Canadian or not =)

Re: BTL Y-Wing (WIP again)
PURTY PICTURES...........................  ;)
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
For the n-th time:
a) No, a couple of thousand!! more polygons won't make a difference for engine, as it was said for a million times, it's the size and number of textures that's the real killer. (Actually raw geomertry rendering is expected to be even faster in the new versions of the engine, since according to taylor with the end of D3D support he can finally optimize the code).
b) Yes, it's actually visible, unlike retail FS, or some other old spaceshooters (or even new ones) out there, the lighting in FS_SCP really brings out the details. All those ridges, bumbs and general greebles come to life when the shadows/lights of dynamic lighting start their magic.
c) No, the modelers don't have to start makeing low poly models - actually they alredy DO. That's what LODs are there for. If your puter can't handle it, you can use the darn settings.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Snaga

:hopping: tons of patience......that's what we must achieve right? :D

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
So here's how its looking with some lighting, just to confirm that lighting will definitely make it show

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Double post for content update.

Ortho Render for scaling confirmation (In other words, no, the head isn't the wrong shape)

Offline maje

ooooh.  That Y-wing looks really good, especially the exposed details on the fuselage.  Out of curiosity, is there an "armored" version of the Y-wing to be planned at a later date? *Can be seen as an illustration in the Star Wars Incredible Cross-Sections book.
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Yes, I will eventually be doing an armoured version, however I think I'm fed up with this model for now, and I'm all ready to call it done and done.
Here we go, Final Model of our new Highpoly Y-Wing!

« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 11:40:58 pm by brandx0 »

Re: BTL Y-Wing (Model Complete, again)
Aw................. i've always liked the armored version WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better. plz make it.

P.S. will another please help?
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!