Author Topic: FRED with Wine 0.9.47  (Read 1880 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
FRED with Wine 0.9.47
I know that the various FRED issues in Wine have been brought up several times in the past, but I just wanted to make sure that everyone knew that the new version of Wine (0.9.47) fixes most/all of the display issues.  They finally got the OpenGL-window problem worked out, so that the menu now shows up as expected.  Also fixed is a bug that screwed up redraw (which had plagued me for a while).

I guess now the only problem to fix is to make it so that a `winepath -w` call isn't required to get it to run properly.  And since that's something that's on me to fix, I suppose that I'll finally be forced to put in the required time to upgrade the code. ;)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: FRED with Wine 0.9.47
great news! So finally I might be able to use Linux to build new missions :)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
...Why can't FRED be made to run natively on Linux?  (speaking like an idiot here, I'm sure).. But still, I mean, fs_open does it... is there a huge section of interface coding that's windows-only?  Well, if wine works, great... :nod:

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
FRED is a horrible, horrible beast, and it's very Windows specific.  It could be ported with winelib, but that would be a considerable amount of work.

That's why we started wxFRED, which would be cross-platform from the get go, but so far very little work has been done on it.  As I'm not a mission designer, and am constantly busy with other things, I have neither the time nor desire to really work on it.  The same goes for most of the other devs (not having time, desire, or both).  wxFRED is the only way that we'll get a native version of FRED though.  For now, running it via Wine is the only real option.