Author Topic: I want to upload the FS2 SCP to a torrent tracker. Help?  (Read 2379 times)

I want to upload the FS2 SCP to a torrent tracker. Help?
well... first of all, i assume that it is perfectly ok for me to re-distribute via torrent the things that i donwloaded with the .jar installer, but just in case... is it?

i've seen that the Installer created several files and folders trough my HD ( ~/Library for example ), so i don't know what to upload.

if i share the main folder (3.3gigs), and include the .jar installer, and a readme that tells the user to run the .jar before trying to run the game, would that work?
i mean, i think the installer checks for the files that ARE in my computer, and then downloads the ones that aren't there and the ones out of date... so by torrenting the biggest part of the FS2 SCP, we could make users to go easier on the bandwith of the servers that are hosting the project now...

well... if you come up with a better idea, please tell me, because since i cannot contribute with my own hands to this incredible project, i'm out to get some more public and attention... maybe that way more and more coders and designers would take interest in FS2 SCP.

thanks!!

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: I want to upload the FS2 SCP to a torrent tracker. Help?
well... first of all, i assume that it is perfectly ok for me to re-distribute via torrent the things that i donwloaded with the .jar installer, but just in case... is it?

That would be what we call illegal. Distributing the FS2 retail files is illegal. The people who host the retail files for the Installer know this, and continue to do so because it's the only way the community grows. So the question is, are you okay with committing an illegal act to further the community?

so by torrenting the biggest part of the FS2 SCP, we could make users to go easier on the bandwith of the servers that are hosting the project now...

Actually, we don't have any bandwidth problems right now. The retail files are mirrored on two servers, both of which have plenty of bandwidth, so if one goes down for a bit, the other can pick up the slack without any interruption of service. So the offer is appreciated, and you can go ahead and do it if you like, but there's no real need for it.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
When 3.6.10 comes out, I'm putting SCP up in a few places.... hip63's SCP DVD 2.0, + Shivan SpS 2.0, + perhaps a clean, fresh Turey's Install, minus the \temp directory and \Installer\ install_notes_*.txt, installer_error.log, & installer_status.log  If I up Turey's, I'll also include a MD5 file (see me sig under Troubleshooting with MD5 for how to do that).  Oh, and, although it's still not legal, FS1/2 is Abandonware... so I have little problems with it in my mind.  The folks who made it aren't getting paid no matter what, so it's not like I'm taking money away from the authors... the authors don't support the product anyways, they've left it in the dust (officially... unofficially, I think they've still helped us out a bit).

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah I already have the DVD ISO torrent, I don't think we need another one, but thanks.  You can get it and seed if you want to help :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays