Author Topic: Debian Etch error using Radeon 9800 Pro  (Read 6107 times)

Debian Etch error using Radeon 9800 Pro
So after being busy with school for ages I tried FSSCP out under Windows a few weeks ago, getting a blistering 3 seconds per frame. My windows setup is horribly messed up, so after I got Debian working tonight (some X issues), I tried installing FS2. I got the binaries in ~/freespace, and copied all the data from my windows drive over to that dir. (Could've done a symlink, but the data is on an NTFS partition and I didn't want to bother with all the permission stuff.)

However, running ./fs2_open gives me

Code: [Select]
kasperl@KasperDesktop:~/freespace$ ./fs2_open
X Error of failed request:  GLXUnsupportedPrivateRequest
  Major opcode of failed request:  142 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  16 (X_GLXVendorPrivate)
  Serial number of failed request:  29
  Current serial number in output stream:  30

I'm running Debian Etch, a fresh install. However, to get the install running, a more Linux-knowledgeable friend of mine had to play around with the X config files, and had to touch some 3D related stuff to get X to boot. I'm not sure what he had to change, but glx is supposed to still work. Any ideas how to fix this?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: Debian Etch error using Radeon 9800 Pro
Post your hardware specs, and the output from glxinfo.

Specs is the output from lshw, in case you need detailed specs.

Glxinfo only outputs ' command not found'  and aptitude can't find it either.

Specs summary:
AMD64 3000+ (but 32 bit Debian)
1 GB RAM
Radeon 9800 Pro

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 03:54:30 pm by kasperl »
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Have you got Mesa and all of that stuff installed (for actually using OpenGL)?

Are you using the default video drivers or the proprietary ones from AMD?

AFAIK I'm using default stuff, and I've got libgll-mesa-dri, libgll-mesa-glx and libglul-mesa installed. I've just installed mesa-utils, and attached is the glxinfo output.

EDIT: Oh, and just before giving the above output on the commandline, running fs2_open gives a black full screen.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Grab the proprietary drivers from AMD and install those.  That's not technically required if you have everything setup right, but it will help you avoid other steps that you would have to go through when trying to use the open drivers with FSO.  After you've got the new drivers installed, and have rebooted (just to be sure), then glxinfo should report that you are using direct rendering (hardware) rather than indirect rendering (software).

I installed the proprietary drivers, rebooted, and glxinfo still says Direct Rendering: No.

And I found the section in xorg.conf that was changed:

Section "Module"
        Load    "i2c"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "ddc"
        #Load   "dri"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "vbe"
EndSection

I'll try re-enabling dri soon, but this was changed to allow me to boot into X,

EDIT: re-enabling dri gives me a black full screen when it gets to booting X. It locks up everything, including the numlock key (the light won't turn on or off). However, SSH and Apache and all still seem to work.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 01:21:47 am by kasperl »

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
remove all the previous drivers installed, remove any "Restricted Driver Managers" or the like also.

It might work. When i was using ubuntu(gutsy,7.10), i had hell with getting anything directly rendered (compizfusion, you shall be missed :( ) until i removed the os's default drivers and that bloody driver manager
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Do you have a package name for that? I can't find anything related to the graphics drivers in Aptitude..

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
I think debian doesn't come with the "restricted manager".
Btw. did you regenerate the xorg.conf after installing the proprioetary driver (by running aticonfig --initial)?

Right, running that allows me to boot to X with dri on, but still neither FSO nor glxinfo can seem to find anything HT&L like.

Offline castor

Checked /var/log/Xorg.0.log for error messages?

Quote from: /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) fglrx(0): driver needs X.org 7.1.x.y with x.y >= 0.0
(II) fglrx(0): detected X.org 7.1.1.0
(EE) fglrx(0): atiddxDriScreenInit failed, GPS not been initialized.
(WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************
(WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed!                  *
(WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
(WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO)             *
(WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available                *
(WW) fglrx(0): ********************************************* *
Dunno what's causing this, the only GPS stuff I can find in Aptitude has to do with global positioning, and not 3D drivers. Any ideas?
Attached is the whole log file, btw.

Offline castor

Hard to tell, could have something to do with the AGP interface..
Does it make any difference if you load the agpgart module before starting X (modprobe agpgart)?

How do I change the startup order? Boot into single-user mode, enter the recovery console, run modprobe agpgart, and then run X?

Offline castor

I guess that might work.
But maybe the easiest way would be to add agpgart into /etc/modules, then reboot.

I added agpgart in /etc/modules, and nothing changed after rebooting.

Offline castor

Damn.. did it succeed in loading the module too (lsmod)? I actually installed the same driver version you vere using, to verify that it works - and it did!
Btw, did you install it straight from the installer or did you let it make the .deb package first? The latter never worked for me.

I just ran the script from the ATI site. I'll try lsmod once I'm booted back into Debian.

Lsmod:

Module                  Size  Used by
ppdev                   8708  0
lp                     10948  0
button                  6800  0
ac                      5252  0
battery                 9732  0
ipv6                  213984  21
ntfs                  184084  1
nls_iso8859_1           4352  4
nls_cp437               6016  3
vfat                   11648  3
fat                    45980  1 vfat
dm_snapshot            15644  0
dm_mirror              18000  0
dm_mod                 48952  2 dm_snapshot,dm_mirror
cpufreq_ondemand        6000  0
powernow_k8            10124  0
freq_table              4484  1 powernow_k8
sbp2                   20488  0
loop                   14216  0
joydev                  9152  0
tsdev                   7616  0
snd_via82xx            25368  2
gameport               13832  1 snd_via82xx
snd_mpu401_uart         7552  1 snd_via82xx
ivtv                  153360  0
snd_seq_dummy           3972  0
snd_seq_oss            27648  0
firmware_class          9472  1 ivtv
snd_via82xx_modem      13832  0
snd_ac97_codec         82848  2 snd_via82xx,snd_via82xx_modem
snd_ac97_bus            2432  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_seq_midi            8352  0
snd_seq_midi_event      6784  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                42192  6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
usblp                  12672  0
i2c_algo_bit            8584  1 ivtv
usbhid                 35808  0
snd_pcm_oss            38048  0
snd_mixer_oss          15232  2 snd_pcm_oss
floppy                 52004  0
serio_raw               6532  0
parport_pc             31524  1
parport                32200  3 ppdev,lp,parport_pc
cx2341x                10372  1 ivtv
tveeprom               13968  1 ivtv
snd_rawmidi            22048  2 snd_mpu401_uart,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_device          7820  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
snd_pcm                65928  4 snd_via82xx,snd_via82xx_modem,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              19972  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc         10248  3 snd_via82xx,snd_via82xx_modem,snd_pcm
psmouse                34568  0
pcspkr                  2816  0
rtc                    11572  0
videodev               21120  1 ivtv
snd                    45412  14 snd_via82xx,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_seq_oss,snd_via82xx_modem,snd_ac97_codec,snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               8928  2 snd
i2c_viapro              8340  0
v4l1_compat            12164  2 ivtv,videodev
i2c_core               19472  4 ivtv,i2c_algo_bit,tveeprom,i2c_viapro
v4l2_common            20480  3 ivtv,cx2341x,videodev
shpchp                 32796  0
pci_hotplug            28088  1 shpchp
amd64_agp              12036  1
agpgart                29360  1 amd64_agp
eth1394                17540  0
evdev                   9088  1
ext3                  116488  2
jbd                    47272  1 ext3
ide_cd                 35616  0
cdrom                  32416  1 ide_cd
ide_disk               14848  10
via82cxxx               8452  0 [permanent]
ehci_hcd               27144  0
uhci_hcd               20236  0
usbcore               109444  5 usblp,usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
generic                 4996  0 [permanent]
ide_core              107760  4 ide_cd,ide_disk,via82cxxx,generic
sata_via               10116  0
ohci1394               30000  0
libata                 87700  1 sata_via
scsi_mod              121992  2 sbp2,libata
skge                   33936  0
ieee1394               85048  3 sbp2,eth1394,ohci1394
thermal                13576  0
processor              23724  2 powernow_k8,thermal
fan                     4868  0
agpgart seems to be running.