Author Topic: New User Friendliness  (Read 29118 times)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
New User Friendliness
This site is not newb-friendly. There is nothing on the front page, and you have to snake through the maze of forums to find FSO downloads. We need more user-friendliness. Possibly a "GET FSO!!!!1!1!" link on the front page, a "Downloads" page with MVPs, .EXEs, and some recent builds, etc. in a non-confusing manner. (and actually explained)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 02:00:07 pm by colecampbell666 »
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Re: New User Friendliness
I agree... :)
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
The log-in section is also pretty small. I don't really notice it and usually hammer "Forums" and get redirected to the log-in page. And the Forums button is pretty small and unnoticable... the whole top tab, actually.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Suggestions, FAQs, things about HLP and FS3 related discussions...

:yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
And warnings about mentioning FS3.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Not really, no one cares anymore.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
.... True.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
FS3 related discussions...

:yes:

:no:

It would just turn into a major flame war, which would repeat itself in various formats over and over every few months, the mods have better things to do than stop arguments over whether the plot-line would go one way or another, or which campaign is most 'like how you imagined Freespace 3'. It isn't important and it really isn't relevant unless an actual Freespace 3 looks like a real possibility.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I'm sure most if not all admins agree. As a matter of fact, they have been working on something since October that should remedy these complaints.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Pretty much all this site actually does, is be a big forum. If a newb can't find a register button or whatever it is, then he probably shouldn't be here. On top of that, there are two entire boards devoted FSU and FSO. Then there are the myriad stickied "wth do i do" threads in the numerous boards. The only thing that I could possibly see being even remotely necessary is an HLP FAQ or something.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
http://tremulous.net <=- they has a big forum, too - tremulous.net/forums .  However, their main page has... ah, download links, etc, etc.  But the admins are working on it?  Well, patience, then, I guess.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Well, patience, then, I guess.
Yup.

Pretty much all this site actually does, is be a big forum. If a newb can't find a register button or whatever it is, then he probably shouldn't be here. On top of that, there are two entire boards devoted FSU and FSO. Then there are the myriad stickied "wth do i do" threads in the numerous boards. The only thing that I could possibly see being even remotely necessary is an HLP FAQ or something.
So that's all HLP really is in the end? Just a big forum for people to scream at each other with?

Kinda defeats the purpose of helping with the SCP then, IMO.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Fenrir

• ?
I'm sure most if not all admins agree. As a matter of fact, they have been working on something since October that should remedy these complaints.

That`s good. I mean I understand what the topic creator was talking about. Recently I came here again for the first time in a few years and it took me some time to find the boards. @_@

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Lets just be patient. I'm sure the mods have already realised how noob-unfriendly the site is. They're probably working on a solution.

For now we can just list what we don't like about the current site, and the mods can use it as a checklist of sorts
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 09:28:18 pm by Stormkeeper »

So that's all HLP really is in the end? Just a big forum for people to scream at each other with?

Kinda defeats the purpose of helping with the SCP then, IMO.

To quote Flipside(?):
FS2 and the SCP first, yelling and throwing bananas at each other second.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
It would just turn into a major flame war, which would repeat itself in various formats over and over every few months, the mods have better things to do than stop arguments over whether the plot-line would go one way or another, or which campaign is most 'like how you imagined Freespace 3'. It isn't important and it really isn't relevant unless an actual Freespace 3 looks like a real possibility.

:doubt:

I was meaning things about Karajorma's FAQ section about FS3 that explains better than anything else how the community reacts to certain threads.

I'd like to see an introduction to HLP, a guide explaining how the boards are sort and what they're here for, the answer to many questions like "Who is Derek Smart?" and "What's the SCP?", how to install FSO and use mods, something about FRED and custom campaigns, total conversion and MOD teams...

Basically things you learn by staying here.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga

Yes, we are fabulous.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

I'd like to see an introduction to HLP, a guide explaining how the boards are sort and what they're here for, the answer to many questions like "Who is Derek Smart?" and "What's the SCP?", how to install FSO and use mods, something about FRED and custom campaigns, total conversion and MOD teams...

I've said it before and I'll say it again: FSO has two boards devoted to it. The SCP and FSU. The most  you need is a thread saying what it is in each board, maybe with a few links to other threads containing useful information. Then I suppose you could make an HLP FAQ to answer misc community questions such as "wtf r a anon accident?" and whatnot.

Personally, all I think we really need is a bigger link to Kara's Freespace FAQ. I might even go as far to ask Kara if he could to integrate the FAQ into HLP (well maybe not totally, but perhaps go further into detail about each community). Not too much sense in having all of this redundant information floating around.

I remember I learned all about FS from Kara's FS FAQ, or at least when I remembered how to spell "karajorma". Kara's FAQ is an excellent site for newbies to FS, there's no sense in making another HLP-specific one. That's the main reason why I think we should either ask Kara to further connect his FAQ to us, or to make another huge link to his FAQ here and make an HLP history page.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Sorry, thesizzler, but I've helped more than a dozen newbs get FSOpen from this site.

Many of them were experienced gamers and expert computer users. Not one managed to find Turey's Installer or Kara's FAQ on his/her own before expressing at least some degree of frustration. All of them needed directions from me. The layout here is, as they've said: 'disorienting', 'awful', 'totally disorganized.' It 'fails every test of user-friendliness I can imagine.' One girl asked 'Are they trying to screen me out of their userbase?'

There really needs to be a large link to Turey's Installer right at the top of the front page. No menus, no list of options, just one reliable source.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 01:03:20 am by General Battuta »