SB Seraphim
1 (1.3%)
SB Nahema
1 (1.3%)
SB Taurvi
6 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Voting closed: March 13, 2002, 10:01:50 am

Author Topic: Most [Useless] Shivan Craft  (Read 8103 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Most [Useless] Shivan Craft
It was a PCX and 8 or so SJDs.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
but if you target a SJD Sathanas, it shows as a regular sathanas in the lower left corner of your hud, which was my point.  If there had actually been 87 sathanas in that mission, or even 10, the game would have lagged severely.

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Defintely the Basilisk....

Second of course would definitely be the Shiatan.  That thing is nothing more than an annoying target for me to blow to atoms.
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
I think we need to arm the minisath and make it a fighter... with one big BFRed between the points!

Shivan miniaturization!

Astaroth <<< it goes down with a Pair of Harpoons without problems... that = Fail
Part time IX'er

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by LtNarol
but if you target a SJD Sathanas, it shows as a regular sathanas in the lower left corner of your hud, which was my point.  If there had actually been 87 sathanas in that mission, or even 10, the game would have lagged severely.

It's an LOD trick...
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
Manticore... little ***** that just runs away.
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
All of the ship in the poll have at least one redeeming characteristic, except the Aeshma.

The Aeshma does not mount the heavy weaps of the Mara or have the Missle capacity of the Basilisk, and it does not even come close to having the manuverability of the Dragon.

What was Volition thinking.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Kazashi

I'd have to say that the Basilisk generally comes across as the most useless Shivan fighter. It ends up being no more than cannon fodder when it makes an appearance....

...ok, all Shivan fighters end up being cannon fodder, the Basilisk just falls the easiest. :)
Blatant advertising #1: Keep the Blood flowing!

Blatant advertising #2: Visit TheDDRZone now!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Originally posted by Kazashi
...ok, all Shivan fighters end up being cannon fodder

You're only saying that because there are only two Shivan fighters we can fly, and they kick @$$. The other fighters are controlled by the AI, which sucks, so of course the ships are cannon fodder.

AI Hercs die easy too, but they're not 'cannon fodder' because most of the time they have a human pilot behind them. I think I made this point before, but everybody ignored me. :(
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Kazashi

Originally posted by GalacticEmperor

You're only saying that because there are only two Shivan fighters we can fly, and they kick @$$. The other fighters are controlled by the AI, which sucks, so of course the ships are cannon fodder.

That much is true. It remains to be seen as to whether the Basilisk under human control would fall short of other human controlled Shivan fighters in the same way as with AI.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2002, 10:04:12 pm by 580 »
Blatant advertising #1: Keep the Blood flowing!

Blatant advertising #2: Visit TheDDRZone now!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The Nephilim and Seraphim are death machines as far as primary weapons go. The Nephilim has only one gun bank, but the bank has seven firing mounts. The Seraphim has three primary banks; a six-mount, a two-mount and a three-mount. Very impressive. Both bombers have two turrets and four secondary banks. The secondary banks on the Nephilim are really small and pitiful considering the size of the bomber, but the Seraphim's are about the same as the Ursa or Sekhmet.

The Dragon and Mara are probably the better Shivan fighters. (original Shivan versions) The Dragon has great primaries - a two-mount and a three-mount bank, powerful shields for its size and unmatched maneuverability. The Mara is simply good as an all-round ship, with very good speed/maneuverability, strong armor and shielding and big secondary banks.

One of the main problems with the Shivan ships is that all the Shivan primary weapons really suck and they use crappier versions of the same secondaries as the GTVA. The light laser fires fast compared to the other two but is still slower than the Subach and does little damage. The heavy laser does twice the damage but fires at less than half the speed, and overall performs about the same as the light. The mega laser does double that of the heavy (Kayser-type damage), but fires even slower, making it not much better. :p

Offline Slasher

Definitely the Aeshma.  Its rather large target cross-section is complemented nicely by its superbly sluggish manuverability and slower-than-molasses speed.  Has anyone else also noticed that the Shivans that pilot it tend to be rather dumb?  Maybe its for the mentally challenged Shivan's self esteem. :)

Offline Kitsune

It was a toss-up between the basilisk and the manticore.

They're both easy kills, singly or grouped.  

And nearly every fighter class that the shivans field has 100 hitpoints in armor.  Look in the tables.
It'll also show why dragons have such good manueverability.
They're one of the rare ships that can accelerate in a direction other than straight forwrard.
~Space Kitsuné
6-Tailed RPG Nut.

"Why the hell don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"
"But Sir, we have Tempests, Rockeyes, and unknown bombs."
"Like I said ensign, 'Why don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"

"I went to a fight last night and a hockey game broke out."  -Groucho Marx

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
There's no useless shivan crafts, there's helpless mission designers.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by venom2506

Quite right
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Ulundel

• Big press poppa
Whaaaaaat? Why's everybody stareing at me?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

And bad shivan AI, of course. :D I bet a human pilot in a Basilisk could smash up everything. ;)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
right :)
Let me say it that way: I flew most of the shivan fighters when i was working for HT... well, the shivans ships owns, the manticore rules :)
the pb is, the shivan weapons suck.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Originally posted by Slasher
Definitely the Aeshma.  Its rather large target cross-section is complemented nicely by its superbly sluggish manuverability and slower-than-molasses speed.  Has anyone else also noticed that the Shivans that pilot it tend to be rather dumb?  Maybe its for the mentally challenged Shivan's self esteem. :)

Agreed, Ashema's.  My little brother could take out a wing of them