Author Topic: Telgorn Delta Class DX-9 Stomtrooper Transport  (Read 22188 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Telgorn Delta Class DX-9 Stomtrooper Transport
I think that the texture could use some markings outlining the hatches, cockpit, intakes and weapons.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I think that the texture could use some markings outlining the hatches, cockpit, intakes and weapons.

I agree. This is what I was talking about...
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline newman

The reason they're not there is because I can't think of a single imperial ship, or even land unit, that has such markings. Seems like an imp thing to me. Since it has the at-at in space looks, I also wanted it to look in line with that - basically an armored hunk of metal in space. Making it all happy colors would, imo, detract from that.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
We can do reskins later if they're needed.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline newman

We can do reskins later if they're needed.

Can't say when but those are planned. This one is *just* your run-of-the-mill basic imp version.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Looks like the ship set is approaching numbers that would let us be able to make a clone of X-Wing...

;7
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Which we are definitely not doing.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I get where some people are coming from with markings, but perhaps it's better to explain why they think there should be.  The feeling I think comes from that right now, it almost feels as if the ship is not an actual ship, but something carved out of a block of granite (very nicely carved of course).  It just feels lifeless compared to some of the other Imperial models like the older ISD Brand had made.  Maybe it's just things like the exhausts and turret tips, or something else, I don't know but I think that's why everyone feels like it needs a little something to really come alive.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
It does feel a bit lifeless, but I agree that painted markings would be out of character for the Empire. I think it'll come alive much more once it has a few glowpoints, glowing engines, and maybe a baked-in spotlight or two. And much as it can get old seeing the same obvious mark on every ship of a class, a good scar would really add some character.

Also, one thing you do see in both the star destroyers and the walkers are areas that aren't flat slabs of armor. It makes sense to minimize this even more than normally in a stormtrooper transport, but some kind of greebly area would break things up nicely.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 01:09:24 am by Alan Bolte »
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
would black/dark grey serial numbers be too out of character so they are there but not attention grabbing
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline -Norbert-

What about an Imperial Emblem?

Offline newman

I hate to repeat myself, but the basic imperial version is going to have the simple imperial gray theme. However, do keep in mind that what you see here are renders. Depending on the lighting, some of the weathering and color can look a bit "bleached out", even if it brings out other detail. In the game, one has the option to actually bring out the color of the weathering, since the final look is accomplished by a blend of diffuse, specular, glow and normal maps. So, I wish this wouldn't degrade into a "add your pattern" brainstorming session. Once the final game maps are done it'll look good in-game. And again, there will be other variants.

Offline Gank

dont really like it, its far too big, the ship is supposed to be only 20m long. the shape is cack, looks more like that godawful dropship from force commander. maybe spend a bit more time doing something more interesting with the feet (always thought of them as clamps, theres a door at the bottom). Make a nice new class of ship, maybe a dropship or something but bit too far removed from the original trn for my liking

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Wow.  At least you made it clear in the first sentence you don't know what you're talking about so I could take everything else you said with a grain of salt.  It is 20m long (not 20ft, not 20 yards, 20m).  It was scaled so that a ~2m stormtrooper could barely make it into the hatch on the side, which was on one of the original 'TRN' models you talk about, and still have to duck.  20m is a little less than 2 X-wings long, and that's about what I figured it should be.  As far as its resemblance to the original TRN, do you even know what one looks like?  This is one of the most faithful reproductions of a TG model we've done.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
bit too far removed from the original trn for my liking

ok yes there is additional levels of detail, the triangular protrusions from the missile rack and different pain scheme there isnt a huge difference between the two and are quite clearly the same class
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Gank

eh? i said 20m, what are you talking about? i know its badly scaled, most tg ships are, take that stormtrooper as 2m tall though and its a pretty big ship. shapewise its the same but the overall look differs greatly. the textures on tg's model differ wildly from the look of the new one. personally i'd have gone with their look as they were the ones to invent it if you like. my remarks are meant as constructive btw, sorry if theyre badly worded

btw keep it civil, theres no need for comments like i dont know what im talking about, i used to be a team member on here back when karma was running the show and made one of these for homeworld, here and xwa upgrade. not as good a model as this but i do have some modding experience.

Offline newman

Seems that even putting a stormtrooper next to it to show off scale isn't enough for some people.. The model is 20m long. The hatch on the side of the head is just enough for a regular stormtrooper in armor to get through. Though that hatch is meant for the flight crew. The top and bottom docking collars and the aft hatch are quite enough for several stormtroopers to use at once (aft hatch two at once, the docking collar actually uses an elevator system that should support 4 at a time).
As for the "lifelessness", well, there may be some merit to that but do remember that this texture isn't final and I will be putting in some more detail and fixing up weathering where appropriate. Lastly, anyone who still doesn't like it, tough, my heart bleeds for you. As far as I'm concerned, go play the original X-Wing and enjoy that version better, for all I care, because the good folks at FotG seemed happy to accept this version (again, not final yet). Never was a big fan of whining..
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 09:12:47 am by newman »

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Newman's version gives a more Imperial and Star Warsy impression to me.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
 :wtf:

Pearls before swine.  Its a wonder they still show any progress shots the amount of stubborn second guessing and whining that occurs on this board.  Seriously there's supposed to be an inverse relationship between quality product and the amount of *****ing.  Yet despite  FotG consistently attaining a level of quality thats damn near the best on HLP, its always met with its to long/wide/short/tall/not colorful enough. 

I'd challenge you people to find one movie canon piece of Imperial hardware thats covered with labels before you continue this whining campaign. 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I can't see a whining campaign here.