Author Topic: bobbtmann's Version, still in existence.  (Read 22424 times)

bobbtmann's Version, still in existence.
UV mapping is done, thank goodness, so I started texturing today. I'm thinking of reducing the number of lit port portions, and instead have it spilling light over the rest of the hull. Sort of like the lit portions are inside, showing through chinks in the armour.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Corrected topic spelling
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 09:45:40 pm by Zacam »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: bobbtmann's Version, still in existance.
This is seriouslah awesome.

The more the merrier. :nervous:

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I like the shape of this much more, including the nose. The beam arms and engine section could use some extra work, but I'm very much going to look forward to the end results.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I do have to say I'm loving this version a lot, it's a little more sinester than Rga's one (both are great btw).

Keep going please, I would really like to see this one finished as well :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I really like it! Only thing that really bugs me would have to be how the arms (especially the forward spike parts) still look a bit too low-poly and retail-like. Other than that, nice job.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Kolgena

Man, it's not fair. Eventually I'll probably have to decide which one I like more and which one I'll keep.

(Or we could make them like Dark Templars in SCII, where both models are used for Sathani. Does clash quite a bit with FS lore though :P)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Ooh, cool, I was just going to ask if anyone had shots of this version, since the attachments in the old thread went poof.  I really like your take on things too, especially the front of the main body. :)

Offline Nighteyes

I wounder how will it look in a smaller size, like a baby sathanas destroyer-cruiser :P

*just me trying to think of ways to have both awesome models in the same mod

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
There was some discussion about possibly finding a way to incorporate both designs somehow.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I wounder how will it look in a smaller size, like a baby sathanas destroyer-cruiser :P

*just me trying to think of ways to have both awesome models in the same mod

Different ships of the same size with different roles, alternative realities/timelines, different shivan factions are a few others
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Fed different energy when they hatched. . .

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
I really prefer this version. The other Sathanas, while more majestic, kind of did lose its, well, scaryness.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
How many textures?
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
There was some discussion about possibly finding a way to incorporate both designs somehow.
Cutscene cameos! :D

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Here's what I said on IRC, I thought it fair you hear it as well.. since comparing is inevitable at this point.

I like your overall design. It's definitely a little more abstract. But the problem I see is that it is really lacking in fine detail. Rga's Sath is bound to feel bigger when you get it in-game and fly up next to it because there are so many parts. His is definitely a large ship. Yours seems pretty smooth throughout.

This observation comes from testing the Colossus. The retail colossus had all its detail in its texture and, sadly, it never looked like the big destroyer it's supposed to be. The new HTL Colossus, however, feels HUGE. Absolutely massive. Rga's preview video he posted shows the same thing. When he is flying along side the Sath.. oh man.. it's overwhelming compared to the retail because of all the fine detail. VA's new Hades does the same thing. These juggernauts need all the small detail to feel much, MUCH larger.

So.. take that for whatever you wish and keep up the good work.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I still like RGA's better, sorry. this feels too scaly, it's a spacebug, not a machine of terror.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
To be honest, I think the rear fuselage doesn't look very much like the original Sathanas - or, well, how should I put this? It does look "like" it but it doesn't have quite the same feel or impression to it. Especially when looking at the side profile, this model feels somewhat more "slim" than the original model.

It might be my memory tricking me, but that's the impression I get from this model.

However, it is an awesome model in its own right, and with some changes to the layout of the beam arms could result in a very useable original design, such as improved Shivan corvette - the Moloch is just not very capable compared to Terran and Vasudan corvettes.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!

Original sath is definitely bulkier at the back, yeah. Plus the downward slope of the tail on bobbtman's affects the way it looks as well.

That sad, I don't dislike it as a model... but I guess the duplication of effort bothers me. But hey, at the end of it, we'll get a mediaVP Sath or two, and I'm certain that creative campaign designers will come up with ways to use both models.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Well to be air, RgaNoris had kept his Sathanas under wraps so no one not in the FSU knew about it, which is why Bob started on it in the first place.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Rga_Noris: There will be four textures when this thing is finished. I had to tone it down a bit, originally I was going to have more.

It's true that in order to establish a sense of scale, a high level of detail may be necessary. This being a shivan ship, the cues that would be available in a terran ship (ie windows) are not there. I'll see what I can do to.

The backend of the ship is what I imagine Volition would have done if they had spend more time on the model. Not being best buds with the designers at Volition, I had to guess at the ship's intentions. For the most part, the Sathanas is a boring ship. It's very static and looks like a block of wood that someone started carving but never finished. There's a suggestion of legs, but no legs. There's a suggestion of layers, but no layers. So I worked with that, trying to bring life to an otherwise very inanimate ship. I'm actually quite pleased with the results.

On a more important note, where were you guys when I was posting WIP's? Don't tell me some overarching formal problem with the ship after I'm done UV mapping, cause I'm probably not going to touch it. There's a time for that type of criticism, and that was in December. So for future reference, when someone posts an early WIP, don't talk about there not being enough detail. Talk about the the shape as a whole, because that's the best time to do it.

This last bit applies to every WIP on this forum. There are too many instances where modelers post early WIPs, and the only criticism they get is that there isn't enough detail. This makes them more likely to wait until later to show people their work, and by then it's too late to change anything without a serious hassle.