Author Topic: PCS 2 Wishlist thread  (Read 26243 times)

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Which additional Collada formats do you want supported?

You're welcome to implement support for other formats. I'm not going to do it though.

The one generated by Blender 2.6 please, see attachment.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
i think they mean the COLLADA 1.5 format.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline rhettro

What FSF said. Thanks. :)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
What I would have liked to see is a more versatile means to add support for formats to PCS2.  A dynamic format library loading ability would be great, then people could add support for formats without modifying or having access to the core PCS2 code at all.  All that would be needed is to define a set of functions that PCS2 would use to read the model through the library, and perhaps a way of getting what file extensions the library supports so it could be added to the file open dialogs.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
The one generated by Blender 2.6 please, see attachment.
Nice; IDs but not names and polylist for triangles. You seem to be missing textures for everything apart from DAMAGE too. Try the attached build (which has since been updated to actually render untextured areas with VBOs enabled).

Can anyone spot today's lesson?

What I would have liked to see is a more versatile means to add support for formats to PCS2.  A dynamic format library loading ability would be great, then people could add support for formats without modifying or having access to the core PCS2 code at all.  All that would be needed is to define a set of functions that PCS2 would use to read the model through the library, and perhaps a way of getting what file extensions the library supports so it could be added to the file open dialogs.
It's a nice idea in theory, but would anyone actually write plugins?

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 05:47:20 am by Spicious »

Right, my findings. This build correctly imports DAEs exported by Blender 2.6, and at first sight there don't seem to be any issues with it. It also still opens the older DAE version. Good job, Spicious :):yes:

However, the Blender COLLADA exporter is still WIP (at least, I hope it is). Modifiers are completely ignored (as opposed to the 2.49b exporter, where you can choose to apply them), only objects in visible layers are exported (not so much an inconvenience, but something to keep in mind anyway) and textures now seem to be handled via materials instead of directly from the UV editor. From 5 minutes of messing around, it appears you need to have one material for each texture, and have UV coordinates selected for the material texture mapping.

If this is true (not quite certain yet) and will remain so, that would suck, since it significantly increases the workload of UV-unwrapping (you now need to assign not only a texture to each face, but also a material, and AFAIK that can't be done in any convenient way). For fully UVed models with just one texture this would be no big deal, but as soon as you want two textures on one object you'd have to assign materials face by face.

In conclusion, I recommend sticking to the 2.49b exporter for now, it's really much more convenient for POFfing purposes.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 04:38:51 am by FreeSpaceFreak »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I think it's more likely down the line that someone would write a plugin rather than sort through the entire PCS2 codebase to add support for a file type, but perhaps only marginally more likely.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Just an FYI, face by face is not necessary. You can just assign the image in the UV editor like normal, then in poly select mode press ****f G and click image, then assign the material.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Just an FYI, face by face is not necessary. You can just assign the image in the UV editor like normal, then in poly select mode press ****f G and click image, then assign the material.

Ah, I could have known there'd be a better way. Thanks :)

Offline rhettro

My model loaded from Blender 2.6 Collada output as well. Thank you Spicious!

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I'm sure this would be extremely low priority, and I have no idea how difficult it would be, but the lack of text DPI scaling compatibility is kind of annoying, since I either have to copy-paste things into notepad to read them or switch user accounts to one running at 96 DPI.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

Ever since the BSP version (in fact, any PCS2 build post Feb 19 2011) the Radius for stored glowpoints get's eaten (reset to zero) even after being altered and saved, they go back to zero and they don't display in-game.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Good catch.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Danke. Works perfectly.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

So is this a new-BSP build, an old-BSP build, or has new-BSP become the standard?

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
It's the standard now. Is it causing problems?

As an aside: any engine glows without normals would also have had their radii set to 0.

It's the standard now. Is it causing problems?

Not that I know of, just trying to keep track of the different versions :)

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Why is this new build of PCS2 saving as COB by default (when you don't give a file extension) when the newer builds can't even open COB? Shouldn't it be saving as POF or DAE instead?
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Oh, and one last thing...  Can we please have a move up/move down button so that we can exchange the weapon point positions in the weapon banks without having to do a lot of copydeleting?

Ex. Moving bank 1 down would make bank 2 become bank 1 and bank 1 would become bank 2 and so on...
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!