Author Topic: Campaigns whose restoration has started [updated 30/03/13]  (Read 6188 times)

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
Campaigns whose restoration has started [updated 30/03/13]
If you plan to help the FSCRP-team with upgrading a campaign, want to start your own upgrade project for a campaign, or are interested which upgrading projects are in the pipe  :pimp: this is the right thread.

Campaigns whose restoration has been started, but nobody is working on at this point:   

Black Horizon 1 and 2
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=76535.0

Ryleh Campaign
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=83485.0

AHTW Demo

Campaigns actively being worked on:

Planned revisions for the future:

none as of now
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 12:49:43 pm by fightermedic »
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
Re: Campaigns whose restoration has started
this list is up to date now, if anybody starts working on or finishes something, please update it if you can
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline wistler

Re: Campaigns whose restoration has started [updated 30/03/13]
I'm curious, is there a strict rule that separates improving from changing?
I can imagine its a slippery slope once you start playing around with the missions. How do you gauge if your no longer restoring campaigns?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The last couple campaigns to get 'restored' were basically ported over to Diaspora gameplay mechanics, so I'm guessing there's a fair bit of room for change.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The last couple campaigns to get 'restored' were basically ported over to Diaspora gameplay mechanics, so I'm guessing there's a fair bit of room for change.

Yeah... Not exactly a big fan of that. I know if someone 7 years from now took BtA and changed the flight mechanics under the name of 'restoration', I wouldn't be to happy about it.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah, I would not want that done to any of my campaigns, nor would I be particularly interested in playing a Derelict or Transcend or whatever that had been remixed like that. I'm happy to see it done as a side project, but I don't want it to be a core component of restoring these campaigns. I often prefer the faster-paced FreeSpace combat to the slower-paced Diaspora style.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

Does this mean with fast ships and glide and all that stuff, or something else? Was tempted to get some of the most recent highlighted restorations but I'm not so sure about bothering if this is the case. IMO restoration should be all about validating compatibility with the most recent FSO versions and upping production values with things like voice acting, more modern graphical resources, and bug fixes. Changing the gameplay mechanics is more like modding a mod, not restoring one.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Does this mean with fast ships and glide and all that stuff, or something else? Was tempted to get some of the most recent highlighted restorations but I'm not so sure about bothering if this is the case. IMO restoration should be all about validating compatibility with the most recent FSO versions and upping production values with things like voice acting, more modern graphical resources, and bug fixes. Changing the gameplay mechanics is more like modding a mod, not restoring one.

Fast ships, improved firerates, altered AI I think. That's what I saw. I was a bit surprised myself.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
As far as I know only the most recent release by fightermedic has changed gameplay mechanics.

To quote fightermedic in the Lightning Marshall release:
"The upgrade of Lightning Marshall (and because it's fitting so well thematically, I have also reworked and included Operation: Savior once more) is finally finished. While working on the campaigns I got carried away a bit, and more or less started over (blame Diaspora!), so this revamp turned out to be not a "normal" campaign upgrade, but rather something you might want to think of as a reboot."
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 05:50:02 pm by Macfie »
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, I don't mind people having fun with the core gameplay mechanics of older stuff, but I think we'd probably be better off reserving the term "restoration" for ensuring compatibility and adding graphical/audio improvements, without changing core gameplay.