Author Topic: FotG + FPS  (Read 3349 times)

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
So...since the forums have been so quiet lately and I've got Star Wars games on the brain for some reason, it's time for another Buggula Crazy Idea(TM)!

Upon release, FotG is well on track to be THE definitive Star Wars Space Combat game for a whole generation.  But why stop there?  Why not make THE definitive Star Wars game?

Using existing APIs (or heck, build our own) we design an interface for FSO to talk to [insert favorite open-source or modable FPS game engine here].  This is all done server side, and only needs to include a small subset of data such as map (ship) name and number of combatants on each side.  Each ship in FSO (with the exception of one manned fighters) will need to have its interior mapped (to at least some degree.  I wouldn't expect the ENTIRE Star Destroyer interior modeled) and assigned a default number of combat troops.  Any time a starship docks with an enemy vessel or station, the FPS engine loads up the proper map and number of combatants on each side, and proceeds to use AI bots to play out the battle, with each kill counting down from the total reserve (think Battlefield games).  The encounter is resolved either by killing the entire enemy crew and taking over the ship (at which point the API informs FSO that the ship has been captures and changes sides) or by destroying specific objectives that can either disable or destroy the ship.

At any time a player can join an encounter in progress through the FPS client and assume the role of a combat soldier, choosing from a list of all available battles ongoing.  When an encounter is terminated, they'll have the option of choosing a new battle to participate, while all this is effecting the overall battle raging on in the FSO engine.

But why stop there?  Each side could also have a commander that has more of a RTS viewpoint and issues directions to both players and AI units, similar to Natural Selection.  For players these would be in the form of waypoints or targets.  They could issue commands to capital ships to attack or board other ships, as well as overall fleet tactics.  This way missions and orders don't have to be FRED'ed before hand, but can play out naturally and differently each time.  All that a map would need are starting ships (and their compliment of combat troops) and any other obstacles or installations.

So...this is pretty much just a pipe dream, but I think ultimately would be possible.  With a crap-ton of work.  But DAAAAAANG would it be a ton of fun to play!

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event

(...) crap-ton of work.

You are asking for a miracle here. Why not ask the guys to make a new engine capable of both space sims and FPS games while at it? :P

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I'd be easier to mod Star Citizen to do that when it comes out. It'll probably take less time too.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

it would be vastly more simple just to write an engine from scratch, or better still use an existing, modern general-purpose one, rather than trying to adapt a 15-year-old space sim engine to the purpose (which already has notoriously abysmal netcode, for starters)
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Haha, I'm not actually expecting anyone to make this, it was really just a thought exercise.  It all was mulling around in my head so I figured I'd write it out and share.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Derek Smart called; he wants his mash-up of genres back. :p

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

Why did you have to trigger my reoccurring nightmares? Nooooooooooooooo!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 11:44:57 pm by Hobbie »

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy

Huh.  I had never actually heard of those games.  Interesting.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Didn't First Strike (the battlefield mod) do this kind of thing? No RTS stuff, and I assume the space sim part was probably kinda rudimentary, but it's something.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Didn't First Strike (the battlefield mod) do this kind of thing? No RTS stuff, and I assume the space sim part was probably kinda rudimentary, but it's something.

Having played it recently, yeeeeeeeeah. Except for the exclusive space maps it leaves a lot to be desired. The hybrid ones are not particularly fun seeing as you need 64 or more players for them to be even a little populated.

That being said, Battle of Yavin is a lot of fun.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Yep.  It was a step in that direction but honestly I think in order for it to really work you need WAY more players, which is why I suggested that it would be populated mostly by bots/AI.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 A way to solve this would be to make the players have AI minions. something like, 2 bots per player. The player is squad leader. BAM! 12 players goes up to 12+24 AI minions following their orders. If there was ever a commander role, they'd command the players themselves.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
A way to solve this would be to make the players have AI minions. something like, 2 bots per player. The player is squad leader. BAM! 12 players goes up to 12+24 AI minions following their orders. If there was ever a commander role, they'd command the players themselves.

Ohh, that's a cool idea!  You could even run with that further and have different roles that you could chose (Team Fortress style).  So if you want to play a lone shark sniper or commando, you still can, but you can also choose to be a member of a squad you command.  Maybe even add an RPG element so as you gain experience you're able to command greater and greater numbers of minions.  Starts with 2, up to a total of 6.

I still think that ideally there would need to be AI units that operate on their own, simply for the reason that you don't want to board an enemy ship only to find it completely deserted and stroll through unchallenged to capture it.

Hehe.  This is a fun Crazy Idea(TM).  Keep running with it!

* Phantom Hoover mumbles something about game design and oversimulation
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Or just simply wait 2015 when DICE will release the new Star Wars Battlefront.