Author Topic: Baru Cormorant Infiltration Station  (Read 39660 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Baru Cormorant Infiltration Station
When Baru describes the ykari as gods and Unuxekome corrects her, what's her actual referent for the concept of 'gods'? Which cultures in the Baruniverse have conventionally religious beliefs?

Taranoke does have caldera gods, who are sort of sleeping water-fire animist figures who once were active in the world but have delegated moral responsibility to people.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I honestly can't remember if it was mentioned in the Taranoke chapters, though.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I don't think so. Comes up later, iirc.

BARU KREW if you have finished the book and want to dig into its mysteries I am running a very in-depth author's commentary. I worry it'll be too definitive, and kill discussion, but **** it. Check it out!

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
... so from a link via a link at a link from that link to your website, I see you're going to be at my favorite bookstore here in VT on the 17 18th. So, uh, I'll try to make it to that.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 04:23:09 pm by LordMelvin »
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
So last week was my Octobercation and I took the opportunity to dive into this work.

Spoiler:
I found it a very enjoyable read, Batt's has crafted an interesting world and characters that I hope are relished with future attention.

His use of language is superlative, smooth and delicious like the Kingkiller Chronicles, and one of the few literary works in recent memory that managed to utilize words not in my vocabulary.  On a side note, as a student of the sword proper terminology for the guards always deserves kudos.  I do wonder how punchy the ending would have been if I hadn't read the original short story and got to approach it cold.  Given my foreknowledge of the ending I was half expecting experience similar to Joe Abercrombie's work, however, while the story was indeed tragic, Baru's character remained fundamentally sympathetic and the narrative did not reach the utter grimness of The First Law Trilogy.  By the end of novel I could still root for the protagonist and was invested in what would occur in the future.  I personally preferred it this way since by the time I wrapped up Last Argument of Kings the series was deftly crafted misery. 

The Empire of Masks was in and of itself a very interesting concept.  In a world of roughly Renaissance Era technology, a society leveraging an advanced understanding of economics, psychology, conditioning, and eugenics as it primary weapon set was terrible to behold.  It's almost like someone went back in time and handed Habsburg Spain the keys to sociopath Ubuntu.  Given how many literary empires rely on their grim implacable legions, the Masquerade's doctrine is very innovative and frightening.  Seriously how scary and **** awesome were the brief forays into the Cold Cellar?  I very much would like to learn more about Falcrest and its interactions with the Necessary King and the murky darkness across the ocean.  This is a unique setting and some serious fodder for future tales.

If there was one thing I might have preferred was a little more of Tain Hu and her relationship with Baru.  Granted the proscriptions on tribadism may have factored in their interactions but Baru's camaraderie with Murie Lo in some ways felt more fleshed out than with Tain Hu.  I don't know, perhaps my knowledge of the outcome unintentionally colored my reading but I really wanted to be more invested in their relationship as I approached its inevitable conclusion so that the knife twisted that much harder.   

Still that's a minor personal quibble in an otherwise fantastic first outing.  I've enjoyed all Batt's short story works so far and Traitor Baru definitely proves in my mind he can make splendid use of the additional breadth of a full length novel.  I sincerely hope it gets the recognition it deserves and Batt's the go ahead for future novel projects.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Really glad you liked it! And thank you again and again to the multiple cool HLP people who turned out at various stops on my bookstore. It was awesome to meet you.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
:bump:

A book club I'm in has selected The Traitor Baru Cormorant as its book to read in January 2017. :)

The book club at Strut, a health/wellness resource center for gay/bi/trans men in the Castro, focuses on books with LGBT themes.

(A little late I admit, but I joined the club only a few months ago and they just voted on the next five books to read.)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
My Kindle tried to sell me a copy of Battutanovel.

I think it is safe to say it has arrived.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Could not possibly find it anywhere here around Arg, bought it yesterday from the internessss.
Anticipating a good read and that nostalgic feeling that I got from reading other good books in the past :D

Now just waiting to see it in the hands of the mailman.
el hombre vicio...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hmm, somehow I missed this. Purchased complete.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Purchased, also convinced a gal on my floor in barracks to get around it as well. Well done on infiltrating the Australian Army!

Offline Luis Dias

Traditionally being late to the party, I finally bought it and am finally reading it! Still at page ~80.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The Huffington Post is hype. Are you hype?

I recall the last time I was hype. It was terrible.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

SEQUEL WHEN?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
October 30th, 2018

If you want to do Battuta a solid (and you should), preorder that book. Preorders are massively important in the book world.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
****, I still have not read the original.  Alright, as soon as I finish Persepolis Rising, I'm putting it next on the list.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
****, I still have not read the original.  Alright, as soon as I finish Persepolis Rising, I'm putting it next on the list.

To the Cold Cellar with you!
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Luis Dias

Nearing the end.

October 30th, 2018

If you want to do Battuta a solid (and you should), preorder that book. Preorders are massively important in the book world.

Not yet available for pre order in the Netherlands but I'll keep an eye out :)

Offline Mikes

October 30th, 2018

Preordered.  :)