Community Projects > The FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project

BETA RELEASE: Wing Commander Saga for FSO

<< < (19/21) > >>

Admiral Nelson:
I have pushed a small patch to Knossos to fix the Alcor 2 issue mentioned here.

FekLeyrTarg:
I hope you don't mind me necro-ing this thread for a question.

Have any important Saga-exclusive features been ported over to "mainstream" FSO in the past few years so that WCS-Knossos can use them?

Admiral Nelson:
TBH most of those Saga features could be replaced with standard FSO functionality - after all the Saga fork was something like 10 years ago.  For example, one feature Saga added was around allowing custom deceleration values for ships emerging from subspace.  I could replicate that feature by using a LUA script.  One of the few features that does not yet have a solution is the ability to turn off and on battle music in FRED.  This was used in Saga to play battle music when stealth ships were about, whereas in standard FSO there needs to be a visible enemy to get it to play.  That is certainly a nice to have, but not the most urgent feature.  There thus really just isn't much in the way of Saga exclusive features to port.

FekLeyrTarg:
That great to hear. :)

What about the maximum number of missile banks?
IIRC, Saga allowed for 6 banks because of the Longbow and FSO only 4.
Has that ever been changed?

Admiral Nelson:
That particular feature broke multiplayer.  As a consequence it was not implemented in "normal" FSO.  The thing is, though, when I looked thru all the missions in WCS there were no cases in which the extra banks were actually used.  In theory one could mix and match missiles more flexibly using these extra banks, but in practice a symmetrical loadout was always chosen.  Therefore the benefit of these extra banks was only theoretical anyway. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version