Author Topic: 20050722 build  (Read 18144 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
FS2 Only? So....?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
FRED BUGS HATH NO PLACE HERE!!!
-C

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by TopAce
FS2 Only? So....?
Meaning there aren't any changes in FRED from the last build, so there's no need to upload a fresh copy.

Offline Rott3

Nice, stable build. Also the game seems to load much faster.
Bet ya can't stick it

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Originally posted by Goober5000
Should have all the nonstandard res stuff fixed.

Damn great!!! :yes:

I'll test it asap.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Exelent :yes:

It halved my loading times (though i haven't played with it yet) :nervous:
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

I still have the splash mis-sizing problem: I'm in regular old DX8 1024x768, and the 'original' loading screen works fine (with the GTVA symbol and the loading bar), but the SCP and TBP splashes are 'too big' for the screen, and the TBP load screens have the same issue.

cmdline : fs2_open_G-20050719.exe -spec -glow -jpgtga -nomotiondebris -2d_poof -rlm -nobeampierce -dualscanlines -ship_choice_3d -targetinfo -orbradar -3dwarp -tbpwarpeffects -snd_preload -env -alpha_env  -ambient_factor 60 -allslev

I'm not sure if anything useful would show up on a debug spew, but I can post one if anyone needs it.  Apparently it's a known issue but I couldn't find the thread for it.

Offline Jokke_r

hmm i don't get an error anymore during load of OGL mode but most of the time the game crashes upon loading of missions (well i only tried it in TBP), in the techroom in TBP the models show with speculars working on my r9800Pro but selecting various models ( i don't know if it is completely random) the game freezes completely (background music continues playing but sometimes after waiting awhile i get a bsod and only way out is to force boot.

I'm hoping for a working OGL mode since apparently you guys haven't gotten speculars working on ATi cards in D3D :( which would also be a nice alternative :)

Offline Fenrir

• ?
Seems good. It just keeps screwing up the textures and crashing for me, but that's what I get for running the game with a below standards card. >_>

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Could we pretty please have a new build compiled which has the changes WMC made to $Hull Repair Rate and $Subsystem Repair Rate? Ta. :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Taylor has a few fixes of his own going in.  As soon as that's all done this thread will be updated.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Good, stable build (although I've seen faster builds). Here are some bugs I found while playing TBP 3.2

- In the ship/weapons selection screen, ships/weapons that shouldn't be available are there with 999 pieces each.

- When I die, the camera is inside my ship, instead of outside looking at my ship.

- A lot of in-mission voice messages are omitted.

- What happened to the default turret positions (dorsal turrets forward/ventral turrets backward) ?

As for the non-standard-res stuff, a lot has been fixed :yes:
All the following points refer to running the game in 1280x1024.

- In briefings, ship icons get displayed correctly, but the text labels and lines are still misplaced. Example

- Something that's present for a while in the newer builds. While the interface get's nicely scaled and bilinear filtered in resolutions higher than 1024x768, the filter only get's active after some browsing through the menu.
So, on start-up the menu looks pixelated like this:

Then I go in the techroom and back out, to encounter the menu like this:

I know this is a very minor bug, I thought I'd point it out anyway, because it might be something very easy in the code to fix.

- Some text has "underscores" under the characters.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 05:46:59 am by 1445 »
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by Col. Fishguts
- When I die, the camera is inside my ship, instead of outside looking at my ship.

It's been that way for a long while I think.  I took a quick look at it not too long ago but didn't see any obvious reason why it's doing that.

- A lot of in-mission voice messages are omitted.

Don't show up in the HUD or the mission log?  If you are talking about text anyway.  If you aren't do you mean that the entire message, voice, talking head and all don't show?

- In briefings, ship icons get displayed correctly, but the text labels and lines are still misplaced.

Works fine for me.  Are you using D3D or OGL mode?  It could be that I missed fixing it properly in D3D.

- Something that's present for a while in the newer builds. While the interface get's nicely scaled and bilinear filtered in resolutions higher than 1024x768, the filter only get's active after some browsing through the menu.

The D3D/OGL question again?  I haven't seen this under OGL, it sets to the proper filter on init anyway.  If it is OGL then I'm not quite sure what the problem is.

- Some text has "underscores" under the characters.

Should be better if you are using OGL mode, I didn't commit that until after this build.  Not sure what the state of D3D is in this area.  I did copy the UV adjustment code for OGL from the D3D code though.  Are you doing the "Fix GeForce fonts" thing in the Launcher?  If so it would possibly mess up the UV offsets in D3D (OGL doesn't have that same problem).

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
D3D has been doing the underscore thing for a looong time.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Originally posted by taylor

Don't show up in the HUD or the mission log?  If you are talking about text anyway.  If you aren't do you mean that the entire message, voice, talking head and all don't show?

The text get's diplayed, no talking head and no sound is played. Sometimes it happens with all messages, sometimes it seems random. That's pretty weird actually...

Works fine for me.  Are you using D3D or OGL mode?  It could be that I missed fixing it properly in D3D.

I'm using D3D

Should be better if you are using OGL mode, I didn't commit that until after this build.  Not sure what the state of D3D is in this area.  I did copy the UV adjustment code for OGL from the D3D code though.  Are you doing the "Fix GeForce fonts" thing in the Launcher?  If so it would possibly mess up the UV offsets in D3D (OGL doesn't have that same problem).

It happens in both cases ("Fix GeForce fonts" on or off)

I know some of these bugs are old(ish), but I thought I'd list everything up I could find. ;)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 05:04:26 pm by 1445 »
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
The text get's diplayed, no talking head and no sound is played. Sometimes it happens with all messages, sometimts it seem random. That's pretty weird actually...

Yep, that is weird.  I haven't noticed that before but I'll take a look if I have time this weekend (probably not).

I'm using D3D

Try in OGL and see if it still does it.  I either forgot something for D3D or completely missed committing some code.  OGL is much better supported than D3D at this point so it's probably just something that got missed in the D3D stuff.

It happens in both cases ("Fix GeForce fonts" on or off)

I know some of these bugs are old(ish), but I thought I'd list everything up I could find. ;)

Ok.  There will be changes later this year for some of this stuff when various font code changes get made so hopefully it will get worked out then.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Try in OGL and see if it still does it.  I either forgot something for D3D or completely missed committing some code.  OGL is much better supported than D3D at this point so it's probably just something that got missed in the D3D stuff.

Just tested in OGL, and I can say that the filter problem doesn't exist there. But sadly it freezes on mission loading, after "-..-", so I can't say anything about the ingame behavior.

What about the turret default positions ? Is Bobbaus "initial position" code still in there ?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Just tested in OGL, and I can say that the filter problem doesn't exist there. But sadly it freezes on mission loading, after "-..-", so I can't say anything about the ingame behavior.

I'll see if I can find what filter setting that D3D needs and make sure it gets called during init too.  The "-..-" should put it early in the model loading stage.  Does it crash or just freeze?  If it just freezes, will it start moving again within 5 minutes?  Try with -novbo and see if it still happens.

EDIT: Oh and it might take a while to let it load, but this build does have the -noibx option to disable use of IBX files.  If it is some strange IBX problem causing this then try that and see if it still freezes.  Note that it will freeze as it generates the index buffer data but just let it do it's thing and it should keep going in a few minutes (complex models could take 3-4 minutes to generate data for).

What about the turret default positions ? Is Bobbaus "initial position" code still in there ?

I don't think anything has changed here.  Bobboau might be a better person to ask though.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 05:58:58 pm by 1252 »

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
The "-..-" should put it early in the model loading stage.  Does it crash or just freeze?  If it just freezes, will it start moving again within 5 minutes?  Try with -novbo and see if it still happens.

Normally it just freezes. With -novbo it CTD's, the same thing happens with -noibx. Both spew the following error log:

Code: [Select]
FS2_OPEN_G-20050719 caused an Integer Divide by Zero in module FS2_OPEN_G-20050719.EXE at 016f:005aeafe.
Exception handler called in Freespace 2 Main Thread.
Error occurred at 7/23/2005 01:25:06.
E:\THE BABYLON PROJECT\FS2_OPEN_G-20050719.EXE, run by max.
1 processor(s), type 586.
512 MBytes physical memory.