Author Topic: Deferred Lighting and soft shadows  (Read 69320 times)

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Re: Deferred Lighting and soft shadows
Does it at least look okay when shadows are disabled? No problems with the deferred lighting?

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It does seem to be much improved.  I didn't see any artifacting on the hulls with shadows disabled.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Echelon9

Hello Swifty,
Sending you a code review comment, about stray variable clip_plane_equation added as part of the deferred lighting and soft shadows feature. See GitHub Issue#233.

Hello everyone, I may be wrong, but this beauty is not included in 3.7.3 Nightlies yet? Latest shadow build is based on 3.7.1 in this thread, does someone has more recent one?
I'm asking just for gaming purpose, just finished (again) FSPort + ST:R + Frespace Blue + BP:AoA, now continuing on BP:WiH

Or I just dumb and there's an option to enable shadows in Nightly build?

Appreciate your answers, thank you in advance.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Shadows are present in current nightlies, but have to be enabled manually. There should be an option to do so in the Launcher's graphics flags section.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Shadows are present in current nightlies, but have to be enabled manually. There should be an option to do so in the Launcher's graphics flags section.

OMG I must be blind -enable_shadows flags, and it is in wx launcher options.
I tried only -shadow_quality 2, which had no warning of unrecognizable flag, but no shadows.

Thank you kind sir for the hint.

BTW, what is the value range of "-shadow_quality" parameter? I couldn't find any information in the "command-line reference" wiki page.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
And what of the cockpit POFs? Will it be affected by deferred lighting and shadowing? I think not.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

-shadow_quality should be changed to implicitly include -enable_shadows when given a nonzero argument, though
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

And what of the cockpit POFs? Will it be affected by deferred lighting and shadowing? I think not.

I just tested and sadly, cockpits aren't affected by this.  Shades only, no self-shadows.  The question is whether this was an oversight or deliberate due to technical constraints?

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft

I just tested and sadly, cockpits aren't affected by this.  Shades only, no self-shadows.  The question is whether this was an oversight or deliberate due to technical constraints?
Technical constraints. iirc, something to do with rendering order or something like that.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Technical constraints. iirc, something to do with rendering order or something like that.

Sadness.  Besides the obvious appeal of just seeing shadows from other items in the cockpit, showing your cockpit go dark when you passed under a massive Star Destroyer would be amazing.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
BTW, what is the value range of "-shadow_quality" parameter? I couldn't find any information in the "command-line reference" wiki page.

Added

-shadow_quality should be changed to implicitly include -enable_shadows when given a nonzero argument, though

Good point, it'd be trivial to make this change & a good simple task for anyone wanting to code for FSO. You could even remove -enable_shadows entirely & let -shadow_quality control if shadows are enabled.

Anyway, if anyone is interested all the code for this is in code/cmdline/cmdline.cpp; around line 1742.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Excuse me, where can I get these built-in shader code for all of this?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Excuse me, where can I get these built-in shader code for all of this?

Have a look in code/globalincs/def_files.cpp.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Good point, it'd be trivial to make this change & a good simple task for anyone wanting to code for FSO. You could even remove -enable_shadows entirely & let -shadow_quality control if shadows are enabled.

I don't think this is a good plan. Right now, non-boolean flags are not very well supported by the Launcher, moving a relatively important flag like this one outside of the main graphics features list will render it basically undiscoverable. I agree that letting shadow_quality act as another way to switch on shadows is a good idea, that should definitely be done, but let's keep enable_shadows around a while longer.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Added

Thanks!  :yes:

Would it be possible to offer an additional value of "3" corresponding 2048x2048 shadow maps?

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Would it be possible to offer an additional value of "3" corresponding 2048x2048 shadow maps?
I don't think this is a good idea.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 10:38:57 am by DahBlount »
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I don't think this is a good idea.
Why not? If people have pc's that can handle it then why not let them have it?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter