Author Topic: GTCv Deimos  (Read 87519 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Updated. As you can see on the right side, placement for the multiparts from the Volition renders has been added for the variant.pof version of it (with some detailing around them, too!) and you can see how it looks without the turrets, ala vanilla MediaVP version (like armor plates)

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:09:09 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Looks sick. I'm curious what this little thing on the back is though? It looks almost as if it's floating just up and to the right of the back of the model.

[edit] better screenshot:

I am a revolutionary.

Offline Hades

That's a quick design I made for the missile launcher, which I still need to finish up.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
It looks so much better with those side multiparts.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I concur, maybe they'd look better a little smaller?
el hombre vicio...

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Can you work the rear now?

:P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
I concur, the back is woefully under detailed now. :P

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
After staring at it for a bit, I think the area outlined in red would be well-served by borrowing its greebling style from the area outlined in blue. Lots of horizontal lines following the curves would add detail without breaking up the smoothness too much.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline cahdoge

• Is a lubricated bug a butterfly?
 :yes: VERRY NICE model
It's a nice idea to take the name as relief
 but may I name the ship other than Lysander?
Understanding do you me?

Offline mralexs

• I'm White and Nerdy
You can name it whatever you want in FRED

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I think he's referring to the modelled nameplate :)

I thought there was a comment in the thread about being able to change that, but I can't find it  :(

edit: typo
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:36:57 pm by niffiwan »
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I think he's referring to the modelled nameplate :)

I'm thought there was a comment in the thread about being able to change that, but I can't find it  :(

Elusive comment is elusive.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
IIRC Hades modeled the nameplate on the Orion too before he eventually removed it. It's just for show.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline cahdoge

• Is a lubricated bug a butterfly?
I mean may i change the name standing on the model anyhow without modeling experience?
Understanding do you me?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I mean may i change the name standing on the model anyhow without modeling experience?
Yes the texture replacement feature in FRED that allows you to change the nameplate of a ship. There are a ton of FREDing resources available, and the wiki will show you many of them.

If you meant on the model in general? Once its released, no, you would need a little bit of modding knowledge to change the nameplate in anything other than Freespace and FRED, and I believe it would require explicit permission from Hades and anyone else who built this model.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Well, that would be a problem if true. FSU assets should be under the free-to-use-and-finish licensing guidelines that Kara and BlackWolf mentioned before for other assets. While other assets not part of FSU aren't mandated (but encouraged to nonetheless), FSU should be an exception out of principle.

Of course, if it is not required of Hades yet, we can't force him to take that position. But if FSU did adopt that position, it should be upheld for all future works and anyone providing assets for FSU should be expected to be in such an agreement.

Offline Hades

You guys are talking about a lot of silly **** considering the modeled nameplate is only there for show. :P
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:25:22 am by Hades »
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Man, though, just imagine if we could have procedurally-generated modeled nameplates...

Offline Hades

Update on the window stuff on the side. Not completely finished meshwise, and I still need to add a bit more to the neck bit as well.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 08:45:59 am by Hades »
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
The neck looks great, I love the way it flows into the engine block there. It kind of almost looks Vasudany which I guess would make sense lore-wise.