Author Topic: B-Wing question  (Read 10899 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well I don't know enough about the freespace engine, I just guessed that if it were broken down into submodels you could tell certain submodels to move around another one, similar to how turrets have to be submodeled.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

well if turrets do then craft probably do as well, its just simple shape animations, i dont know much about FS2 either but i could tell you how to make a full chracter rig with controllers and make a walk animation with it.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Since the FS2 engine deals mostly with rigid objects, morphing or stretching or whatever weren't really concerns of theirs when they built the engines.  The only things ever really designed to be animated on a model are turrets, and maybe some random stuff like radar dishes.  Those are all built as submodels of the whole model.  I believe that's the only way to specify for one part of a model to move in relation to another part in the FS2 engine.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Rotation itself is not a problem per ce I believe. Faustus, Shivan CommNode and B5 model all use that with great success.

It's even possible to make the rotation move back and forth with something I don't even want to think about; this was used in Axem's JAD2 Disco Inferno mission.

The problem is to make the rotation dynamic so that it would be player-controllable.

The problem is actually that the hardpoints and viewpoints in POF models can't really be changed dynamically as far as I understand anything about them. You would actually need to make the entire hull of the B-Wing the rotating subobject circulating the cockpit block in order to make the view roll when the ship stays still, or to make the ship roll and view roll stay still... And I VERY much doubt that the various glowpoints, weapon hardpoints, secondary missile launcher points and stuff would keep up with it.

X-Wing's case is easier because the only moving things are primary firing points and canonically you can't fire them with S-foils closed, so in fact they are only needed in one position. But with B-Wing you would need constant altering of firing points OR apply a dynamic roll to both cockpit AND viewpoint somehow, and I don't think it's even possible.

Go with static model as far as B-Wing's cockpit system is considered. It's safe and good solution tested by LucasArts. If you think what it would add to gameplay, you'll find that it would make controlling the ship more difficult as the view wouldn't be able to directly tell you where the rest of the ship is. And rolling the ship would feel like nothing happened - except if you put center of gravity into the engine block, then the view would slowly swivel around the CoG doing full circles. Not much else would happen.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
One thing I believe I read was that for turrets, the firepoints can be inferred based on the glowpoint locations set in the model.  If the game could be modified to allow that to work with gun points and missile points as well, then maybe they would follow the model since that's what they're glued to.  That would probably require a bit of source code modification, but I could see it benefitting many mods, and I don't see it necessarily breaking stock fs2 compatability.  If I'm completely wrong about the turrets then ok, but I think it could still be done for the gunpoints.

In the original X-Wing game, the B-Wing had a laser cannon on each wing, one ion cannon on the lower foil, and two ion cannons and a laser on the cockpit. The torpedo launchers were right next to each other, probably right above the engine dealy. I can't explain that diagram either, the one with a proton torpedo launcher on the lower foil.

What is the engine dealy anyways? Probably atmospheric in function, or possibly an ion/hydrogen collector to power the engine, shield generator, etc.

I don't know anything about animation, I just wanted to remind people that a B-Wing can't fire anything with s foils closed either. If it was possible to set points for lasers and such to be fired from relative to the point of view but independent of the model, it might simplify things.

I was thinking you could set the center of gravity on the cockpit so the ship rotated around it.  IDK if this would work or not, but it's an idea.  Good luck guys.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
One other thing - While the Faustus's central rotating panel rotates at 360 degrees, the B-wing's S-foils must rotate at only 90 degrees. Also, FS radar dishes rotate around all the time, while S-foils must reverse direction. Has anyone considered this?

At any rate, I wouldn't like to sound minimalistic in terms of our models, but I don't think it would be worth the hassle. Suppose that we can make the X-wing's S-foils work as they are supposed to, but putting five times as much effort into one single fighter for the sake of some eye-candy, I think it's pointless. I played a lot of XWA when I was younger, and I never used the S-foil lever. I only saw my wings closing when I was about to enter hyperspace, and that's all. Perhaps if we added some extra speed to the player's craft with closed S-foils, it would make our efforts more worthwile, and I think it would make more sense.

My point is that even if we could get a working S-foil for the B-wing, with the craft's body rotating around the cockpit - we would still have to care about its effects on game mechanisms. More precisely, extra speed and inability to fire. And I'm not sure that would be all. Modelwise, we would also have to make subsystems rotate where they are supposed to be.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Topgun

In vacuum, nothing goes through the intakes so the only way they could be used for cooling in space is to be radiators, since obviously they do not spew coolant forwards. Hopefully. They are also way too small to be radiators of any significant power. So that leads me to think that they are in fact only used in atmosphere. It's possible that in atmospheric flight, craft such as X-Wing and B-Wing are able to use air as primary propellant, ie. using their engines as some sort of ramjets that take in air, superheat it and blast it out of their end.

I thought b-wings could not fly in atmosphere? I mean does it look like it can?

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
One other thing - While the Faustus's central rotating panel rotates at 360 degrees, the B-wing's S-foils must rotate at only 90 degrees. Also, FS radar dishes rotate around all the time, while S-foils must reverse direction. Has anyone considered this?

At any rate, I wouldn't like to sound minimalistic in terms of our models, but I don't think it would be worth the hassle. Suppose that we can make the X-wing's S-foils work as they are supposed to, but putting five times as much effort into one single fighter for the sake of some eye-candy, I think it's pointless. I played a lot of XWA when I was younger, and I never used the S-foil lever. I only saw my wings closing when I was about to enter hyperspace, and that's all. Perhaps if we added some extra speed to the player's craft with closed S-foils, it would make our efforts more worthwile, and I think it would make more sense.

My point is that even if we could get a working S-foil for the B-wing, with the craft's body rotating around the cockpit - we would still have to care about its effects on game mechanisms. More precisely, extra speed and inability to fire. And I'm not sure that would be all. Modelwise, we would also have to make subsystems rotate where they are supposed to be.

Imperial Alliance has working s-foils that move when a certain key is pressed.  Unfortunatley we don't.
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I'm not sure, but Darkhill was supposed to be working with someone to get their code changes brought back into the SCP code base.  I don't know the status of this though.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Imperial Alliance has working s-foils that move when a certain key is pressed.  Unfortunatley we don't.

We don't.... yet

We don't have any models with S-Foils yet either.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
So it's in a more advanced stage than I thought. Sounds good, but we should be careful with making such a change. Have you considered what I had said about moving subsystems and game mechanism changes?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I thought b-wings could not fly in atmosphere? I mean does it look like it can?

It's a flying wing, why wouldn't it be able to fly in atmosphere?

Aside from being aerodynamically fairly viable as an airplane, there's the fact that pretty much all Star Wars vessels smaller than Star Destroyers can pretty much confortably do touchdown. Repulsorlifters FTW.

It would probably be able to fly both with the S-foils as lift surfaces, or by using them as vertical stabilizers and possibly to generate some torque to negate some aerodynamic inbalance caused by asymmetric wing (center of lift being in the different location as the center of gravity).
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
TopAce, I have given it some thought.  It's nothing I've been too worried about implementing yet, but if the support is ever added for something like that to work easily, it would make the mod more complete.

B-Wings, AFAIK, also have an interesting eject mechanism, if I remember correctly.  Doesn't the whole cockpit pod (the thing the wings rotate around) just seperate as an "ejection" device?
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline Cyker

Ahh, the B-Wing! My favourite ship from the X-Wing games :)

Just some quick randomness:

There are many schools of thought on the S-Foils:

In the FILMS, they just fly vertically ( | ), and the wings just open out when it's in attack mode so that it's a sort of cross-shape.

In the GAMES, the S-Foils in the game had the ship flat ( --- ), and when you opened them, the whole ship would rotate 90degrees with the wings opening, so it would end up in the same vertical cross shape as in the FILM.
The pilot PoV in the games varied - The S-Foil opening in the older DOS games rotated the ship around the engine block and opened the wings. Later games rotated it around the cockpit. This is because in earlier games, the turning axis all went through the engine block (More 'realistic' movement, slightly weird to control), whereas in later games they went through the cockpit (Less 'realistic' but easier to control).
The cockpit position was fixed in all the games so that whole rotating-cockpit thing only did anything during S-Foil transition :)

In ALL the games (IIRC!), the missiles fired from the central pod from the side inlets (Not the 8 'vents', although I'm not 100% clear as it was pretty damned hard to tell TBH ;)

Also IIRC, the B-Wing uses 4 fusion engines, similar to an X-Wing but better, to power itself according to the in-game tech documents. It has a repulsorlift, which I assume would do most of the work keeping one aloft inside a gravity well.
Like all unmodified Starwars fighters (Aside from the ridiculously over-powered Missile Boat), the B-Wing can only hold one type of projectile ordinance, and can only fire a maximum of two at once. It can hold 16 standard Proton Torpedos in total, 8 on each side bank.
It has 3 lasers and 3 ion cannons, but there's a lot of confusion as to where they go (It varies in all the games too!). It's supposed to be highly configurable anyway (Those Verpine and their Modular parts!) so just throw in 6 gun slots or something ;)

Offline aRaven

it was portrayed so in Rebel Assault 2

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
X-Wing's case is easier because the only moving things are primary firing points and canonically you can't fire them with S-foils closed, so in fact they are only needed in one position.

X-Wing book 5, Wraith Squadron. Kell Tainer nails a TIE in a sim with the s-foils closed.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
and then runt gets credit for all his kills
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D