It's been a few months since our last official forum update, so all of us at Fate of the Galaxy want to share what we have been working on this past winter (new ships, viable multiplayer, ship headlights, fixes/optimizations, and more).Progress Highlights
- Updated FotG to finally work in multiplayer! Working multiplayer has been a long-standing goal for us in FotG, and thanks to taylor and Cyborg’s amazing work updating PXO and netcode, we have finally established standalone servers for multiplayer testing and playing with FotG. Early testing shows that gameplay works well even for medium range pings (100ish). We will continue to test and tweak this gameplay mode to ensure a fun and fair experience for all.
- Added Zeta-class Heavy Cargo Shuttle (model and texture by DarkVisor). This ship allows for much more variation in transport roles for the Imperials (and attacking their convoys).
- Added Gozanti-class Cruiser (model and texture by Dark Visor). This fills an important role in the Imperial roster for mission designers.
- Added ship headlights to all player ships. These can be toggled via the control 'Toggle Floodlights'.
- Added substantial updates and bugfixes to Project Alderaan.
- Added AI support for the TIE Bomber to use the Homing Beacon. This support follows the same method used to get the AI to use the vertical-launch Proton Bombs.
- Updated TIE gauges a bit, with more Imperial-looking radar and center reticle gauge along with improved cockpit HUD glow map.
- Updated Target Gauge shader to look more holographic as seen in OT movies.
- Updated scripts and custom gauges with multiple optimizations to further improve script related performance and QoL.
- Updated planet textures with BC7 to minimize image gradient artificing.
- Fixed many, many minor bugs, which would be far too long to list here.
We also would like to highlight all the fantastic work continually being done with the FSO engine and SCP folks. For example, taylor and Cyborg have made FSO multiplayer a viable and fun experience, and EatThePath has added first-person glow banks (see ship floodlights, thanks to the BtA team for requesting it), and z64555 has implemented multi-input support. There’s of course many other devs adding great fixes, features, and other enhancements.
Also, a big thank you to several members of the XWVM team for helping identify issues with and improve cockpit and engine glow effects.Moving Forward
For folks who want to see a bit more frequent FotG updates, feel free to join our Discord channel where we tend to post most of our informal updates: https://discord.gg/k7ZMdmt
As always, thank you all for your support and enthusiasm! Ultimately, we are coming very close to meeting our final milestones for a public release. Once those goals are met and polished, we will be extremely excited to share the game with everyone. In the meantime, here are some shots of new craft and toggleable ship headlights. May the Force be with you!