Author Topic: 3D printing cross-universe spaceships to the same scale  (Read 985 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
3D printing cross-universe spaceships to the same scale
I don't have a 3D printer (yet?), but I have a 3D printing dream: I want to print all the spaceships we all know and love, from various sci-fi universes (FS obv, but also Star Wars, Star Trek, Homeworld, BSG, Mass Effect, etc), all at the same scale, so you could compare their relative sizes.

I'm thinking that the best number would be a 1:10,000 scale, so a 717m GTCv Deimos would come out 7.17cm long, or a 1.6km Imperial Star Destroyer would be 16cm long. That scale covers most of the beloved capital ships, with the Normandy SR-2 being on the small end at 216m / 2.16cm, and the Homeworld Mothership being at the larger end of things, with a height of 2.138km / 21.38cm. Sadly, the Death Star remains well outside the realm of printability, with DS1's 120km diameter coming out to be 12m "printed" at scale. O.O

Anyway, I haven't begun the project in earnest, mainly because I don't have a 3D printer yet. I've done a bit of poking around to see if anyone's already done something like this, but I've come up empty. Is anyone around here more involved in the 3D printing scene, and has perhaps heard of a similar project?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Re: 3D printing cross-universe spaceships to the same scale
Fellow HLP member and human miracle Magnitospheria has quite a few insights into how to atleast 3d print Freespace models. It's not specific to your thing, but it could help you get started.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: 3D printing cross-universe spaceships to the same scale
I've not heard of a similar project, but I'd love to see you realise it.   My attempts are not happening due to RL work scheduling.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png