Author Topic: cap ships shields problem  (Read 7832 times)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
cap ships shields problem
I've noticed that if you have cap ships shields (like in my pet project Wing Commander Saga), that there is a limit for shields hits and afterwards the game crashes. Is there any way to fix this?

Besides that, only the current latestrelease.exe works with with cap ships shields correctly. Older releases including fs_open3_5 show the shield animation not corect, as if the shield would have about 400 and not 4k polys. Fix, please.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Re: cap ships shields problem
Originally posted by Tolwyn
I've noticed that if you have cap ships shields (like in my pet project Wing Commander Saga), that there is a limit for shields hits and afterwards the game crashes. Is there any way to fix this?

Besides that, only the current latestrelease.exe works with with cap ships shields correctly. Older releases including fs_open3_5 show the shield animation not corect, as if the shield would have about 400 and not 4k polys. Fix, please.

I use FS2_Open and never have this bug with the FSPort's Lucifer shields, but I do get an odd over sized shield hit ani it looks funny but it's hard on the eyes.
The Ancients a old and proud reace, one that is not all alone, and I am not one of them, but I am Nouben.

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
Re: Re: cap ships shields problem
Originally posted by StarGunner

I use FS2_Open and never have this bug with the FSPort's Lucifer shields, but I do get an odd over sized shield hit ani it looks funny but it's hard on the eyes.

Thats because the shield is low-poly. If you had a shield with a higher poly count you would also see smaller shield hits.
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Jup the polycount for Capship shields has to be quite high...working with 4000polys for a shield is a good thing. Still have problems when you are using a ship shaped shield, but it looks quite cool.
The Vesuvius with its shield is realy an eyecandy when in heavy battle.

TSC Vesuvius from Wing Commander 4 for everyone who dosn't know what ship I am talking about.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
there is no cap for shield pollys
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga

it is not just that. fs_open seems to have problems with shield hit animation, except the latestrelease.exe, so you get an oversizedeffect and that even if the shield mesh has 4000 polys.

Still, I'm not sure what may cause the game crash. Any ideas?

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
may this cause the game crash?

Do you mean shield hits in total or shield hits at the same time? I'm not really a table guy, but I found that defining the ship as a bomber or other shielded ship type tended to help. I suppose the problem might be being caused by the shield power being too high or the like, other than that, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Well...making the Vesuvius a bomber will make the game crash.  That is certain.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
well, it doesn't crash direct... but if I have more than 4 ships in a battle the game will certanly crash... with 4 or less after a certan ammount of time

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
suggestions?

That might be the problem, I certainly found I had problems with very powerful shields  I find that capital ships have a hell of a lot of power to charge shields with anyway, so the best bet is to give them moderately weak shields, which can absorb, for example, the main impact of a heavy bomb or the like but need to recharge afterwards, but which tend to fail under combined fire, that way it gives the ship a weakness despite the shields.
Of course, this technique may not tie in with what you are trying to do

Flipside  .

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
for a ship the size of the lucifer you would need a shield mesh on the order of 40,000 pollies
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I disagree for a ship of the size of the Vesuvius a 4-5k mesh is sufficient...
and besides, I would like to know why the game crashes...

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
Originally posted by Tolwyn

and besides, I would like to know why the game crashes...

what would you expect from a ship called vesuvius?:lol:

btw you guys already know what i think about shields for capships, maybe something good will come from the decal code, let's see:)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
is it possible that the shield verticles limit is the reason for the game crash? I'm quite sure that my shields exceed this limit (1600)

-WC Saga's beta tester

I will not claim to have understood what has happened.

I only think that your best source of information on that subject is the TBP team. Why? Well, because if you come to think at the time they took incorporating all those ships on TBP, well they should know what works, and what doesn't. How to fix it then, should be easier. My gut feeling has to do with the amount of faces in the shield, AKA when they are lower, the game should be more stable, but then that is all I can think, right now.

I am watching this project and honing my skills to help as a Freder. Good luck with the ships.
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
It looks like that FS2 has a general problem with powerful shields. The easiest solution would be to have cap ships without shields making the game running more stable (shields render every bug testing useless) until TSP implements support ofr cap ships shields.

-WC Saga's beta tester

So, for vol. 1 just make the ships tough, without them needing shields. Besides, If I recall correctly there seems to be a problem concerning ships and shields and paths (for docking - undocking) meaning that you couldn't have all of them, unless you got really creative.

Another thing that sprang to mind. Use the new fred instructions so that when a ship is close to its mothership (the distance_from_subsystem sexp), a landing sequence (avi or something) is played. (different one for each ship)

With the SCP, we can make FS2 more WC than ORIGIN ever could!

I really hope that you elect to use the SCP version of FRED. (Ok, it has got teething problems but so much potential!)

Best of luck with the ships.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2003, 06:49:35 pm by 970 »
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries

I do. Whenever a mission with a shielded Lucy loads, an illegal operation occurs in DDHELP.EXE and I have to reboot my computer before running FS2 again. Grrrr, I'll never get past Playing Judas at this rate. It was irritating enough when it didn't crash your computer while the mission was loading.:hopping:
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Anaz

hmm...is there some kind of shieldhit buffer? From my experiences with things like this in other games (the out of sfx_t error in sven coop for half life...the game crashes when there are more than 512 different sounds in the sound buffer) it seems like there might be something like this, and it normally doesn't happen on fighters/bombers because there isn't as many things impacting the shield at once, but a cap ship has a good deal more things hitting it, so this might overwrite something, thus causing an access violation...just my 2c
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
The same problem happened when I used the Unholy Alliance mod by Kazzan, after so many hits the game would crash..

Found a cure, that worked for me, but I had to remove these entries from the hud table (IconAeolus.ani, IconMentu.ani and IconSobek.ani) after that it quit crashing..

(edit) Hope this helps track the bug.:)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2003, 12:53:39 am by 695 »
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought