Author Topic: Quick gameplay suggestion/question: making torpedoes dumbfire?  (Read 7789 times)

Offline Aesaar

Re: Quick gameplay suggestion/question: making torpedoes dumbfire?
But further, the shape of the torpedoes themselves--unless made larger for no practical reason whatsoever--are either flat (Cyclops) or dully round (Helios). Armor penetrators don't tend to work well when featuring a wide, dull, round head to punch through armor. Shaped charges (from the ones I've seen/my limited understanding of the principles) are either conical/pointy for the armor penetration aspect, or their intended use is for precise demolitions on unarmored (or lightly armored) targets. Further, when you shoot down a bomb well before it hits its target, it explodes exactly the same way--and with the same force--as it does when it hits its target dead-on. In fact, it's rather telling that these bombs hit their targets perfectly, yet the explosion is still fully spherical and evenly distributed. That's the opposite of a shaped charge or armor penetrating weapon.

This is a bit of a sidenote, but shaped charges don't need to be super pointy.  They're made so for the same reason planes are: aerodynamics.  Look at the Panzerfaust, which was reasonably effective (for its size/weight), but very short range.  Obviously, since we're in space, aerodynamics don't matter.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 08:36:57 pm by Aesaar »

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaped_charge#Munroe_effect

bit of light reading that gets the basics across
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Ack! This is my bread and butter, must...not...get...involved.....
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Ack! This is my bread and butter, must...not...get...involved.....

Explode out brains with your professional training ;)
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

But further, the shape of the torpedoes themselves--unless made larger for no practical reason whatsoever--are either flat (Cyclops) or dully round (Helios). Armor penetrators don't tend to work well when featuring a wide, dull, round head to punch through armor. Shaped charges (from the ones I've seen/my limited understanding of the principles) are either conical/pointy for the armor penetration aspect, or their intended use is for precise demolitions on unarmored (or lightly armored) targets. Further, when you shoot down a bomb well before it hits its target, it explodes exactly the same way--and with the same force--as it does when it hits its target dead-on. In fact, it's rather telling that these bombs hit their targets perfectly, yet the explosion is still fully spherical and evenly distributed. That's the opposite of a shaped charge or armor penetrating weapon.

This is a bit of a sidenote, but shaped charges don't need to be super pointy.  They're made so for the same reason planes are: aerodynamics.  Look at the Panzerfaust, which was reasonably effective (for its size/weight), but very short range.  Obviously, since we're in space, aerodynamics don't matter.

Okay--thank you for the clarification and correction. Though there is one thing I'm still confused about: aren't certain kinds of anti-armor warheads designed around the concept of a jet of molten metal being shot through a "funnel" out the front? Without that kind of funnel design, how would you shape the blast into a concentrated jet (instead of just a general shaped blast)?

Also, question: given the lack of aerodynamics in space, would it still matter (for a shaped blast, or molten "jet" of metal) if the Cyclops' ends are practically flat?
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Given the warheads are nuclear/antimatter, the physical shape itself likely doesn't matter.  For a Helios, all you have to do is release the containment on the front end, or create a magnetic bottle to the target, much like plasma weapons do in lore.  For Cyclopes, the shaped nature of the detonation likely comes from the structure of the nuclear material inside. 

Offline Aesaar

SaltyWaffles: That is a shaped charge, but it doesn't need a funnel to concentrate the jet.  That jet is formed by the way the copper cone react to the pressure of an explosion.  I think the Wikipedia article can explain it better than I can.

Or maybe Dekker would be so kind as to do it. :)