Author Topic: Subtle significance in Ken, misc thoughts[spoilers!]  (Read 8320 times)

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Re: Subtle significance in Ken, misc thoughts[spoilers!]
And make a vid plz. Stupid first flash always makes me **** my pants, wtf did you use for that?

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
It plays at high speed behind the six seconds or so of blackout at the beginning. Just add a fade-in and remove the time compression.

There already seems to be a fade-in SEXP. I'm not familiar with cutscene SEXPs, so what will happen if I just cut out the time compression?

Offline An4ximandros

Wait, is the cutscene (;7) the ROFLstomp of the GTVA defending Earth before getting nuked to hell by double beam Jugg claws? Or is it something else?

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
I think it's something else, something we don't see, still trying to figure out how to see it  :banghead:
Stuff

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Don't bash your brains out, it's the events at the very beginning of UT2 that are hidden behind a fadein and time compression.

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Thanks, figured it out ( I feel so smart )
general gist is:
<Huge GTVA fleet commanded by the amazing Admiral Steele moves to defend earth>
Shivans think: "That's cute! Eat Liquorice colored beam cannons B****!"
Stuff

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Well that was interesting.

Not quite as cool as I had hoped but it looked neat.

That data may warrant its own thread.

Mission File

Plop it into

[your filepath]/Freespace 2/blueplanet2/data/missions

then look at it from the tech room mission simulator under 'single missions'.  It should be called 'UT edit'.

Offline An4ximandros

Just watched it, cool. I can see why it was cut however. I guess Chi wasn't quite so Steele that day.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
steele was really dumb in that cutscene

seriously

he charged a ****ing sathanas

what a moron

it's not a wonder they cut this cutscene out

Offline An4ximandros

If that cutscene had been important, it would have been rehashed like Icarus was. At the end of the day, there was no point in it. Just having the GTVA get ROFLstomped during the playable sequence did the same job in less time.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
It wasn't meant to be watched I think, it was just to provide a "realistic" amount of terran debris and damage to the shivan ships.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Steele is not fighting Shivans at the moment, he is fighting Humans. I would guess that he would adopt a specific strategy in order to combat Shivans as best he could and then adapt his plans to keep the Shivans guessing, although ultimately this would be defeated I'm sure he would probably last a bit longer than most.

Where I say his understanding of shivans and their tactics comes in is his ability to sacrifice (similarly to the Shivan tactics we have seen where they sacrifice to learn about opponents) his forces over the short term in order to gain a long term advantage. In battle with the UEF we have seen him make huge sacrifices - both warships ( the 2nd  Battlegroup, the Valerie, the Meridian?, The Carthage's air wing, ect ) and the lives of non combatants (the civilian convoys, Elder Taudiganiin, Lunar domes, Earth orbit station personnel) order to gain an advantage over the enemy. He will have to do this whilst fighting the Shivans as well to have any chance of buying enough time to evacuate systems or seal off nodes.

Although both use radically different methods in how they obtain their victories, they both seem to go by that old Sci-fi cliche The needs of the many outweight the needs of the few

Edit - I am not saying that he understands  the shivans entirely - just enough to know that what he does is for the best. He knows that humanity will be lost if they are not prepared for the next encounter and part of that preparation is the need to gain Earth's might to help strengthen the GTVA.

I would argue it seems more likely Steele touched the Shivans minds, and got a glimpse of the magnitude of the threat mankind faces in a way which non-Nagari sensitives don't have. But, I think the problem noted about him is probably still valid: it probably hardened his resolve and gives him an ongoing "victory is justified at almost any conceivable cost".

The real question is whether he "understood" that you can't understand the Shivans tactics or strategies since they're just a mirror. It's be pretty neat to see Steele fighting Shivans, and actually using their adaptability against them: imposing tactical restraints on his forces, to guide the Shivans into one tactical pathway and then attacking them with another.

Offline a_b_c

Just watched it, cool. I can see why it was cut however. I guess Chi wasn't quite so Steele that day.

If I recall correctly, Laporte mentions something at the beginning of UT to the effect of this vision being a simulation of the future.  If this is the case, could it be that the Shivans were just running Steele at a non BALLS OF STEELE AI? Maybe they simulate all possible iterations of battle like this. Or maybe they don't have enough data on Steele to accurately simulate his tactics. It's fascinating at any rate.

Offline An4ximandros

I'd say charging a Super-juggernaut is signs of Balls of Carlosch AI...

Offline Gray113

• There comes a time when the odds are against you,
Seen at that was cut then I'm guessing it's no longer part of the plot - just like the Death of Ubuntu fiction entry that was left in the vp files.

I don't think that they would create such a great antagonist only to kill him off in a uncharacteristic manner.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Why would Laporte's hallucinatory experience of Steele's destruction in an imperceptible flash of an instant during a drugged-up connection to an alien subspace network somehow represent the certainty of Steele's actual death?

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
uncertainty nears... :nervous:
Stuff

Offline An4ximandros

Our theory of Steele unfolds. :warp:

Well that was interesting.

Not quite as cool as I had hoped but it looked neat.

That data may warrant its own thread.

Mission File

Plop it into

[your filepath]/Freespace 2/blueplanet2/data/missions

then look at it from the tech room mission simulator under 'single missions'.  It should be called 'UT edit'.

Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with the various assets the community draws on to make campaigns, but...

Were those Meson Bomb ships? That jumped in and were blown up right before we swap to Laporte's point of view?

Offline qwadtep

The GTVA does indeed have and use tactical meson bombs. See TBI.