Author Topic: Rename Dante?  (Read 7660 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
We have an opportunity here. What do you guys think? Dante doesn't fit the Shivan aesthetic very well. On the other hand, I like the idea of giving it a more articulate, artistic name like Dante to suggest it houses an anima.

The Lucifer housed an anima too, though...
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
perhaps Vrtra
In the early Vedic religion, Vritra (Vṛtra वृत्र "the enveloper"), is a serpent or dragon, the personification of drought and adversary of Indra. In Hinduism, Vritra is identified as an Asura. Vritra was also known in the Vedas as Ahi ("snake"). He appears as a dragon blocking the course of the rivers and is heroically slain by Indra

edit
The drought part I think has relevance as when we first see the ship it attempts to blockade a jump node, traditionally the source of goods and prosperity
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Apollyon (Greek synonym for Abaddon, The Destroyer, which is also a good name, but could get confused with the SCv Abaddon from sm3-05 "Argonautica"), would play well with the anima thing, you could then refer to the vessel as THE Destroyer itself.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abaddon
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
oop wrong forum :D

Offline Darius

Outsourcing creative decisions to the community? I'm ok with this.

I propose that the Dante be renamed the SSJ My Balls. All in favour say 'aye'.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

neg
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

SSJ Bofa, Bofa What?, Bofa Deez Nuts

Great idea! Dante really doesn't fit.

it houses an anima.
And when you put it that way... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angra_Mainyu
Of course I would suggest the later Ahriman, Angra Mainyu is ridiculously close to the English cognate. It doesn't have the most impressive ring to it, but the meaning fits very well.
(Either that or SSJ Raynor.)

To be honest, a somewhat more distinct model would also be nice, but I doubt there's much to choose from.
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.

Offline Veers

It may not fit, but I do like Dante. It is that different from everything else, so to be it was always something special that I knew we couldn't touch.

But all suggested names (hmm) have merit :)
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Astwihād The destroyer of souls.
(...) when he looks upon (man) with his eyes, he deprives him of the breath-soul (Anima).” “Astwihād is explained as the disintegration of material beings.”

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Ok...I spent way more time thinking about this than I thought I would.

I really see two different ways to view the naming of the Shivans: "destroyer", or "purity". And it really depends on your view of them, so I'll try to break down my thoughts.

"Destroyers":

Well, they have only wiped out countless people, and a lot of their ship names/classes tend to follow that line of thinking. However, there was always a crime of some form before the "destroyers" came. To quote an unknown Ancient: "Our crime was sin." Well, follow that line of thinking. I kind of liked what DahBlount suggested: Apollyon/Abaddon or heck, go with the name given in AoA: "They are here, SHIVA. You will grant them passage." Another one I kinda liked...Aroga: "Destroyer,shatterer". Couldn't really find a good name that meant "Destroyer of sin(s)" that I liked.

"Purity":

Another meaning of Shiva is "Always Pure". To me, seems a lot like the Shivans. They have always kept to their purpose as the Great Destroyers, uncorrupted for eons. A form of purity that may seem terrible, but it is still pure. I haven't been able to find a name that really seems to stick with me yet. Closest one I have found is Amalesh: "The Pure One".

Pi
Chaos, Panic, and Disorder...
My work here is done.

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
"SSJ Unknown"

But seriously, I never gave it much notice and thought Dante was a good enough name in its own right. 

But I have to agree that if you're looking to rename what is probably a major Shivan entity/essence/anima/command ship, the name "Shiva" is probably the most direct and simplest route.  (Unless this itself suggests things that are simply not true, i.e. "Shiva" is not centered on the SSJ Dante, or in any other particular destroyer, any more than I am centered in my kidneys.)

As an aside, how do names for newly-encountered ships in FS get assigned?  We encounter the Dante for the first time in Universal Truth (1st iteration) but are immediately given the code-name "Dante" for the super-juggernaut.  This suggests the naming theme is at least partly randomized (which would be typical of modern-day military code-naming) and as such, the name "Dante" means nothing past the connotations of a particular Italian poet and his most well-known work, which deals with sin and its punishments.
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Offline Aesaar

I say it should be called Hugsy.

But seriously
Ahriman
is also my favorite.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
SSJ Kardashiana

I like "Abaddon"

If you keep with what Pireciter thoughts about purity and destroyers, it makes a lot of sense as Abaddon is both a place of destruction and is the name of an angel.

Offline Luis Dias

"SSJ Unknown"

(...)

As an aside, how do names for newly-encountered ships in FS get assigned?  We encounter the Dante for the first time in Universal Truth (1st iteration) but are immediately given the code-name "Dante" for the super-juggernaut.  This suggests the naming theme is at least partly randomized (which would be typical of modern-day military code-naming) and as such, the name "Dante" means nothing past the connotations of a particular Italian poet and his most well-known work, which deals with sin and its punishments.

Good point: is the assumption here that names are assigned from some form of omniscient narrator that somewhat gives "clues" by the naming of ships, or is it something that is done by the GTVA itself?

If it is done by the GTVA, how did it name the SSJ unknown immediately after it came to the scene? Some kind of automatic name generator? (I know, I'm just repeating Damage's points here). If not automatic, shouldn't it at least come off something like ???? UNKNOWN ???? at least at the start? Give it a minute or so and then name it? (as if someone on the deck was figuring out what name to give it, they discuss it and decide the name, all this happening out of the camera).

If the point is to somewhat describe the character of the ship as seen, as perceived by the GTVA, well, it should display bewilderment, vertigo, despair, awe, terror. It appears the GTVA has a tradition of calling these SSJ as they appear with christian names. Lucifer, then Sathanas. (SSJ Jesus F Christ?) Dante could be worse than it is, it expresses bewilderment on the size of it. IDK, I'm at a loss here.

e: Abbadon is already used in FS2 for a SCv Moloch.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 04:24:10 am by Luis Dias »

Dante has never seemed right to me. I don't hate it but it does feel a bit incongruous with the rest of the Shivan naming schema. I'm not sure what name I'd point to as a good possibility but I don't think there's any reason to discount names that might work just because a ship had the name in retail - I'm sure Shivan ship names have repeated. It's been a long time since FS2 and I don't see the GTVA naming team going 'Well, don't designate it Abaddon, there was a corvette in that one battle however long ago - you know how Command gets about names.'