Author Topic: [RELEASE] Shadow Genesis: 2017 Edition  (Read 177639 times)

Offline Flak

Re: The Shadow is coming... SHADOW GENESIS: RELEASE
Beaten the game at last, though only on very easy.  My review:

Good points:
Story wise, excellent. Also points out that anyone can die. Also I do find those messages sent to everyone by Ovadiah to be rather convincing that even I myself could probably fall for it.
Spoiler:
Also, I rarely find stories than can pull off Woobie Destroyers of Worlds brilliantly (combined with He who Fights Monsters thrown in for good measure).

The new capital ships looks good. The HYPACS is a rather unique weapon.

Rather unique near the ground fights.

Bad points:
Some typos and grammatical error (no, I don't wish to be a grammar nazi here).

Fake Difficulties in some missions. Like in the one you have to rescue the Nirvana, the enemy ships warped in too close that you have to disarm 2 of them in less than 5 seconds, double points that other ships potentially block your view that you have to be in a correct position to pull that off that may require lots of restarts.  And I am not sure if you can save the Meleanger's main gun. That is all my 'complains' though.

Offline Gray113

• There comes a time when the odds are against you,
Ok got to yesterdays enemies before i got a crash caused by the antipodes not working. My thoughts so far:

Difficult though not impossible. One thing I have noticed is some missions requiring several playthroughs due to the opponents having too great an advantage and my having to prepare for their arrival beforehand  in order to defeat them.

Some bugs such as enemies / allies not arriving meaning you have to restart missions which becomes irritating when you are 20 Mins in.

Loved the pitched battles, the visuals were great and sometimes I would replay a mission just to sit back and watch the warships duking it out.

Some of the language requires tweeking. I feel that I should let you know that calling someone a black bastard or a blackie in some countries is a racial slur, every time I read it I cringed a little  :sigh:

Overall good solid campain that I really enjoyed and will look to fix the crash later in the week in order to get this finished

Offline Gray113

Ok got bored today and decided to see why the game was crashing. Spotted the error right away - turns out I did not change the media VP back from the 3.6.17.SSE2.BP build from when I was playing WIH 2 :banghead:.

Must be karma getting me back for laughing at the two lesbians joke :nervous:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Ok got bored today and decided to see why the game was crashing. Spotted the error right away - turns out I did not change the media VP back from the 3.6.17.SSE2.BP build from when I was playing WIH 2 :banghead:.

Must be karma getting me back for laughing at the two lesbians joke :nervous:

That's a build, not a mediaVP

Offline Gray113

Give me a break I'm hungover  :)

Is it just me or others are also having a problem with the Dragon's entry mission? Delta and Epsilon wings explode as soon as they warp in.
It was working fine before I formatted my PC and redownloaded everything. Unlike the last time, though, I downloaded the full pack instead of parts.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
After doing some investigation, delta and epsilon exploding is just some red-alert stuff. Not so elegant, is it? But its nothing to worry about. It just means you f***ed up badly in previous mission :p
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
After doing some investigation, delta and epsilon exploding is just some red-alert stuff. Not so elegant, is it? But its nothing to worry about. It just means you f***ed up badly in previous mission :p
Yeah, if something looks like this it's probably checkpoint or variables related and it looks what is should look :P. To be honest, I'm not a FREDer by trade and don't know why xD.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Ok, lets see if I can replay that and fix it.

Edit: How do I go back to the previous mission? From the tech room?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Ok, lets see if I can replay that and fix it.

Edit: How do I go back to the previous mission? From the tech room?

You can't. There is no way to return to the previous mission. Replaying from the tech room won't save new values to the variables.

Yep. Just figured that out. Is there no way to edit the pilot file?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
There is, but it isn't easy.  You need a hex editor, a good knowledge of the pilot file format, a very good knowledge of the campaign structure & variables, and a fair bit of patience :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Veers

Just finished.

Grammer/Spelling - Slightly annoying at first but easily ignorable after that.
Graphics - Great
Ships - Great
Missions - Quite detailed

I've kinda played this in about 2 sittings.. so yea..

My only gripe would be about the difficulty in the first few missions, it did seem to jump around a bit. But was quite stable afterwards.

Excellent release! :)
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Ariel

hello , firstly  this campaign rocks.

secondly the mission with the shivan jumpgate and the research team it's not working well ,  it's not ending . even if the research vessel gets destroyred.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 10:49:08 am by Ariel »

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
hello , firstly  this campaign rocks.

secondly the mission with the shivan jumpgate and the research team it's not working well ,  it's not ending . even if the research vessel gets destroyred.
Spoiler:
Research vessels have to be destroyed. I was thinking we made Nighthounds attack enough strong to prevent us from protecting Exeter and Geneva :P. When our convoy is destroyed, you don't have to warp but enter the Equinox front hangarbay.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline WolfShepard

• Something witty should go here.
First things first:
Gameplay is fast paced, fun, though.
Graphics and detail are amazing.

Minor bugs:
The first new space superiority ship you have access to (Hestia) seems to not appear in the shield gauge. The gauge itself shows, but not the ship inside the gauge, like the FS2/1.

Sometimes my teammates appear to not have shields. Maybe they do, but when targeted, they don't appear to have shields on the enemy shield gauge.

Other things. Language has been mentioned. I guess I've gotten used to playing older campaigns, but hearing Microsoft Anna swear caught me off guard. Granted, if I wanted, I could edit that out using fred, yet, still, I wish I didn't have to. From reading some of the other posts, I *really* wish I didn't have to.
Grammer. As was mentioned, get a native speaker.
Edited to add Hestia name.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:16:14 am by WolfShepard »

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Hestia just don't have shield icon for her... Made :P. We don't know how to do it. Just used random shield icon, the same for minor nightmare ships. We will replace random shield icon with dedicated ones, when they are done.

Offline WolfShepard

All right. That's the icon, but often my teammates will seem to go entire missions without shields. It's not just that I don't see them with shields because they've just been attacked, but during long breaks in fighting many teammates just don't have them. I'm not sure if they spawn in with shields that don't recharge, or just don't have them to begin with.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Our wingmates are immortal, in every campaign the most important characters are undestructible in missions due to plot reasons. In SG hulls of their fighters become immune to every weapon after reciving some damage, but shield still can be destroyed. With immune hull and destroyable shield, fighter like this chased by enemy fighters long time, soon will loose all of their shields but hull remains invulnerable. We wanted this system to be less noticable than in TVWP for example, where after battle, you have 20 friendly fighters, every at 1% of hull integrity :P. Shields of our wingmates will recharge after battle.

Offline WolfShepard

Shields of our wingmates will recharge after battle.

Misunderstanding. I don't think they're always recharging. Five minutes after a battle and still no shields, sometimes. Doesn't matter, I guess.