Author Topic: War in Heaven Preview 2  (Read 16686 times)

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
Re: War in Heaven Preview 2
;-)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 07:35:12 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline Narvi

What happened to all those fighter and bomber pilots that took down the Lucifer? Are they an important part of the political landscape these days?

Offline eliex

They would probably be old or dead at the events of BP (given that a minimum pilot recruitment age is 20+). It is likely that they would have much effect on the political landscape apart from the fact that they were heroes to a point.

Offline Narvi

They would probably be old or dead at the events of BP (given that a minimum pilot recruitment age is 20+). It is likely that they would have much effect on the political landscape apart from the fact that they were heroes to a point.

Not necessarily. Remember that Bosch fought against the GTI insurrection, and he was an Admiral during the Capella era. Sure, it's been twenty years, but it doesn't mean that all the pilots would be dead by now.

Offline eliex

Not necessarily. Remember that Bosch fought against the GTI insurrection, and he was an Admiral during the Capella era. Sure, it's been twenty years, but it doesn't mean that all the pilots would be dead by now.

Hence the old part. Even with a human lifespan reaching up to 100 years old, disease and perhaps side-effects from being celebrities for a time may have some impact.
Checking the date, the events of BP is set in 2385, which is 50 years after the Great War and it is likely that most pilots that participated in the Lucifer attack would not be fresh young pilots; rather seasoned veterans of a elite squadron Alpha 1 joins near the end of the campaign IIRC.

To  be fair, I'd be more interested to see how the Vasudan pilots affect the Sol society, given how Darius has portrayed the government to be more spiritual.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Hence the old part. Even with a human lifespan reaching up to 100 years old, disease and perhaps side-effects from being celebrities for a time may have some impact.
Checking the date, the events of BP is set in 2385, which is 50 years after the Great War and it is likely that most pilots that participated in the Lucifer attack would not be fresh young pilots; rather seasoned veterans of a elite squadron Alpha 1 joins near the end of the campaign IIRC.
If the pilots in the Lucifer attack were somewhere in their 20s or 30s, as today's air force pilots generally are, they'd only be in their 70s or 80s at the time of Blue Planet, which is easily do-able.  Given a few hundred years' worth of medical advancements, I'd even go so far as to suspect that they'd still be fairly active.  Looking at another universe's take on things, Dr. McCoy was well into his 100s and still moving around just fine in the first episode of Star Trek: TNG.

Offline eliex

I guess I was focusing too much on the present-day technologies - certainly what you have described would be possible 300 years from now.

Offline -Norbert-

Even with advanced medicine, it's more likely that they enjoy their retirement rather than dabble in politics.
Also the political climate did change a LOT from GTA times to UEF times, as we now know thanks to the two articles.

I don't think that a peace and transcendence centered culture would elect someone into a position of power because they fought in a war.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
'There' in a good way or 'there' in a bad way?

Well, do you have any suggestions? Did you read the dossiers over?

I'm curious as to how you think the assets could be improved, too. Darius gets all the music from custom sources (and does at least a chunk of it himself, I believe?).

I was going to reply earlier but then some weird joke filter came smack in the middle of me writing this post and that filter made me sound like a harsh critic so I held back :wtf:

Quote from: what i really wanted to say. Long post warning
I would say "in a good way", but I think a more honest answer would be "it gets to stay 'there' because of what it can offer as a mod". Don't worry too much. :D

Dossiers... I sucks at fast reading so I skim through, read back the more interesting paragraphs and then attempt to piece it all together by reading one last time. So the number of times I read the dossiers is probably... once, or less than once in practical terms :P

And no, I don't have any suggestions. It's still better than what I could ever write. I have written before though, but after going through silly/cliche/just-plain-doesn't-work ideas, completely atrocious writings and literally getting flamed to death on a LOCAL forum to boot... I gave up.

Music... REALLY NO SUGGESTIONS LOL. Hands down for Aim... except for everything after 2:10 (and I would scream "SUCKS!" but I don't want to hurt other people's feelings :nervous:). And the menu version of Joshua II is ^_^ too. Is that a new menu theme for WiH? Considering WiH's premise... I guess it works much better than AoA's mainhall.

Assets... the most important for me especially when it comes to BP. Short explanation: "that freespacey feeling".

TBH I feel that Steve-O's ships just don't work in an FS universe.
(I would italic the words "don't work", but being hardline isn't fair.)

The feeling to me is just... off. I'll go as far as to say that, since there's no way to "improve it" from my perspective, it's better to just cater to those with a strong active interest in BP (or those who have a mind open enough to try something new). I have interest in BP, but it's more like MW4's passive radar, it comes rather than I actively reach out to it :lol:

This is also one of the reasons why I don't look into Earth Defence that much, even though I'm supposed to be all-in for those "penultimate FS universe mods"... yes, their ships are pretty, but they just miss... "something". That I can't seem to describe...

That said, assets are damn hard to come by as it is, and you have to sort HTL from non-HTL among other things in addition to redoing everything, plot, outcome, etc based on what's available out there. Heck I'm in the same problem myself, but out of respect I prefer to just keep quiet rather than look like a big complainer. And Darius is probably better off than me in the sense that he can play with the audio himself to counter asset weakness, while I have nothing to "stand out with" i.e. I only can do what virtually anyone else can do, basic tables/basic FRED/etc.

Funny thing though, those who can create new assets from the ground up prefer to follow their own storylines... but who can blame them, when they can?

(note: I'm avoiding the topic of creating assets on your own on purpose, because that one is another big issue in itself which I seriously don't have time for right now, + it would probably get shifted to the Modding section.)

BTW now that I look at this huge block of text again, BP's direction and Steve-O's assets are growing on me a little. Maybe it can work? :lol:
But for good or for naught with regards to myself, even I don't know...
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Well what you have to remember is that the UEF aren't part of the Freespace Universe, they've been doing their own thing for the past 60 or so years. Believe me, they are frakking beautiful (and frame-rate killers when it comes to some of the larger craft).

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
(and frame-rate killers when it comes to some of the larger craft).

So are the GTVA's new ships. :drevil:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I messed around with them myself not too long ago actually (another little mod cancelled, same lack of assets reason) so yes I'm aware of that.

The least I can do is be thankful that my current computer can take it (Steve-O's Hyperion lagged both PCS2 and the game itself bad enough on what I used before), although FS being an old game does help in some way I guess. StratComm's fleetpack... well, it's one of those rarities where you just HAVE to balance your tables to fit the ship, rather than you make the ship fit your tables if you could model/texture/convert because they look pretty cool as they are :lol:

Though to say the UEF aren't part of FS doesn't quite work for me because BP is a post-Capella campaign and it's still more-or-less set in FS context... sorry XD

ah great now Steve-O's ships remind me of a multiplayer/mod bug I wanted to Mantis but I can't remember what that bug was and I'm swamped right now...
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Though to say the UEF aren't part of FS doesn't quite work for me because BP is a post-Capella campaign and it's still more-or-less set in FS context... sorry XD

Well, the UEF name appears to have been taken from Supreme Commander, so... :doubt:
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
That I'm aware of too... if the mainhall wasn't obvious enough XD
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
And .anis. :P

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
For all you know, it's a tip of the hat to TVWP!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
For all you know, it's a tip of the hat to TVWP!

O RLY?
My blog

MP-Ryan

Write more please, i could read that sorta stuff all day!

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
For the record, I adore BP's new GTVA capships in AoA. IMO they work perfectly as the "next generation" fleet. I wasn't as enthralled by the new fighters...but what can I say, I fly the Perseus every chance I get.

Great work on those essay-things.  :yes:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Sushi! A master Freespacer.

Hopefully you'll like the UEF fighters in WiH a bit more. The Kulas and Aurora have both grown on me a bit (I believe those are the only new fighters...?), and I think that the Aurora at least fits in rather well with the aesthetic. The Kulas is a repurposed civilian design, thus the slight deviation.

The Perseus remains sexy and I think it is only enhanced by the Balor cannon.