Author Topic: Video: First Battle of Neptune  (Read 25670 times)

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
Re: Video: First Battle of Neptune
;-)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 07:57:55 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Petrarch said at the end of FS2 that "the sealing off of the capellan jump nodes would be a temporary measure at best" (from memory) maybe darius factored that into the story. Maybe not. If they sneak through from the "alterniverse (c)" they:D be bottlenecked against two enemies on either side of the gate (if the gtva  can send support I assume the bugs have been worked out) but I digress.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Random and either incredibly stupid or prescient thought.

The Shivans are in fact native to the alterniverse and wouldn't exist in ours except for the Ancients and ther damn it, they blew it all Knossos.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I repent the stupid comment but thanks for the clarification.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I repent the stupid comment but thanks for the clarification.

I meant mine. :P

A Feddie Story

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Oh ok :lol: makes sense now I know the context. That could be a very valid point mate.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Good question came up on the YouTube video, what is the music used on this video?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Budget Meeting from King Arthur's (the film) soundtrack...

EDIT: This brings another question... does WiH feature exclusive music?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 05:47:03 pm by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Even greater than AoA, at least now.
There will be at least one fully tabled new soundtrack and a handful of non-tabled ones (like Aim, but much better).  :)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I was refering to exclusive music, not new music in general.

By "exclusive" I mean music tracks created for Blue Planet which will be released for the first time with the campaign...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 06:38:21 pm by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Darius

Yes.

There's very much an American Civil War vibe to the conflict here. It's a horrible situation for everyone. For Earth, you have these human rebels coming in and smashing a peaceful community that has existed just fine on its own up until now. For the GTVA, they've SEEN the horrors the Shivans can visit on humanity, far beyond anything Earth experience in the Great War. They KNOW the survival of the human race is at stake, and they're trying to fight fire with fire. Securing Sol and its vast resources and technology would be a massive boon to a government that lost a major star system to Supernova only thirty or so years ago.

It also seems to tie into the bigger theme of whether or not humanity is 'worthy' of survival. While the Shivans I believe are evil in their function and must be fought (because there IS good worth preserving in our species), it's hard to argue the moral high ground when humanity has lapsed right back into civil war after barely defeating the Shivans in the first two Great Wars.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Well as far as the GTVA goes, they didn't have to wage war on the Sol System because of different governance. And I mean, it's a system, it shouldn't be *that* hard for the GTVA to take control if they fully committed their forces. Then again, look at Afghanistan.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Imagine trying to beat up a pub full of people but your backup can't get through the door to help you.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Fair enough, but look at the size of the force deployed to deal with Neptune. The GTVA could've done much better than that. And we're talking about space, 3 dimensions, "getting through the door" isn't too much of a problem, especially when the bouncers are your people. Rather than the "Battle of Neptune", why doesn't the GTVA fully commit 2-3 fleets (which could definetely be done, I mean, what's one to do with THIRTEEN fleets?!) and mount a simultaneous on all of the planets in the Sol system? NGTM-1R once said on BP internal that the GTVA could've taken the system in one day, and I have to say I agree with him.

Offline -Norbert-

The GTVA's economy is pretty much in ruin most likely tying up a lot of fleet assets in anti-piracy actions. Then they also had various rebellions (again tying up ressources), the diplomatic relations with the vasudans are strained (meaning the vasudans might be unwilling to help in the police actions) and there's always the looming threat of a new Shivan incursion (again tying up ships for the reserve and patrols of their own terretory). Additionally they have to guard the jump node to Sol for the unlikely event of a UEF counterattack into GTVA terretory (Delta Serpentis is after all the seat of government and feel high command).

On top of that they have to carefully choose which personel they send into battle against Sol, to make sure they don't have any more desertions, after all half the fleet that was sent there to conquer a beachhead went over to the UEF.

So I can understand quite well why they can't simply overrun the UEF with a massed assault.

Also I think a simultanous attack on every planet in Sol wouldn't be such a good idea. Considering the superiourity of the UEF fighters, it would probably leave the GTVA capitol ships with a too thin anti-fighter screen. For me a concentrated attack on one target after the other seems to fit better with the strength and weaknesses of the GTVA fleet. Furthermore once they got Sol and Mars I doubt that the rest of the system is going to put up much resistance anymore.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 05:35:11 am by -Norbert- »

With all these teasers that have been released as of late, I was thinking the actual release was not far off at all but from above posts saying anywhere between this year and next year, I'm just hoping this is just a ruse to throw us off lol. Anyways, this keeps looking better and better. The only thing about the video that i kinda didn't like was the fact that Neptune itself made some of the comm chatter unreadable.
Use a different colour hud.

Neptune (The real neptune) would actually be quite a problem for me since I normally use a brilliant white hud, neptune, although mostly blue has white streaks in it's atmosphere.

It's quite likely that neptune wouldn't have any rings by the time BP was around; http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18524925.900

And Triton would probably be very visible from that range unless it was on the other side of the planet :P
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
The GTVA's economy is pretty much in ruin most likely tying up a lot of fleet assets in anti-piracy actions. Then they also had various rebellions (again tying up ressources), the diplomatic relations with the vasudans are strained (meaning the vasudans might be unwilling to help in the police actions) and there's always the looming threat of a new Shivan incursion (again tying up ships for the reserve and patrols of their own terretory). Additionally they have to guard the jump node to Sol for the unlikely event of a UEF counterattack into GTVA terretory (Delta Serpentis is after all the seat of government and feel high command).

On top of that they have to carefully choose which personel they send into battle against Sol, to make sure they don't have any more desertions, after all half the fleet that was sent there to conquer a beachhead went over to the UEF.

So I can understand quite well why they can't simply overrun the UEF with a massed assault.

Also I think a simultanous attack on every planet in Sol wouldn't be such a good idea. Considering the superiourity of the UEF fighters, it would probably leave the GTVA capitol ships with a too thin anti-fighter screen. For me a concentrated attack on one target after the other seems to fit better with the strength and weaknesses of the GTVA fleet. Furthermore once they got Sol and Mars I doubt that the rest of the system is going to put up much resistance anymore.

Mmm, I can see it affecting it, but not crippling it too much, and besides, the desertions were only really prevalent among the 13th Battle Group.

Assuming the GTVA fully committed, I'd say if the fighter compliment of each ship was sortied, they'd effectively blanket themselves from UEF attack. And what you've got to remember is neither side has had any large scale combat experience as of late, excluding the 13th Battle Group, or Expeditionary Fleet or whatever it's called.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.

Destroyers, and Chimeras and Bellerophons, are not antipirate assets. That's an Aeolus' job. The heavy combat units of the fleet are free.  Governmental control is in Beta Aquilae. The trick here is to assemble a fleet with enough firepower that any attempt to stop it will require the UEF to risk being gutted. It should not be hard to do, as the UEF has very limited forces.

The UEF military has not faced a significant threat, real or pyschological, in nearly forty years. It has been inadequately funded for that time, meaning it lacks exercise experience in addition to combat experience. Its logistical depth is poor because it has lacked the means or the reason to develop it. It has no mechanism for replacing losses and few reserves. Just to top it off, it comes from a society that neither respects nor values the need for warriors.

The GTVA military has fought three major enemies in the same period, the Hammer of Light, the NTF, and the Shivans. It operates under the assumption that every new day brings with it the possiblity of Shivan-induced armageddon, and it takes that very seriously. It has been very-well funded for that reason and able to conduct regular, significant exercises. Many low-level officers and senior non-commissioned have combat experience from either the NTF or the Shivans. It's logistical base is well built up to enable commitment of all or most combat ships at any point in the GTVA, since where the Shivans will appear can never be certain. It has mechanisms in place to allow the replacement of losses or the rapid expansion of the fleet in time of war; they are effectively the same thing. And finally, it comes from a society whose warriors represent their only hope in a universe of hostility.

If the GTVA were to commit a significant proportion of its fleet assets, even a quarter, it should easily outnumber the UEF by nearly 2 to 1. It could all be over in a day, the UEF fleet or its means to continue making war crushed. It might take a couple months after that for the actual surrender, if the UEF fleet did not come out and fight to protect its logistical network, but the war would already be decided. That it's not is a political, not a military, choice.

A Feddie Story

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I thought the great dark spot of Neptune had disappeared?