Author Topic: Turey's FreeSpace Open Installer - Walkthrough  (Read 62317 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Turey's FreeSpace Open Installer - Walkthrough

****AS OF THIS TIME, THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE OUTDATED.  I will be updating them; meantime, find another guide.  (There are plenty stickied.)
Installing the FreeSpace Open Installer
(The official FSOI thread is here.  Author=Turey.  Just so you know...)
Note: This Install process downloads about 3.5 about 8.3 GB of data as of now, if you download everything.  Just so you can prepare; for example, you could set it to download overnight.

OK, First:
Go to www.fsoinstaller.com
Click on "Downloads".
Choose which Installer version to use...

.EXE version: Works with Windows without having to use Java.  20 MB in size.  Download it, open it, then skip to the "Using the Installer" section.
--this one is "easy" for Windows users.  Not that the .JAR version is hard... but if you've never used the Control Panel before, and don't intend to, then use this option.

.JAR version: Works with Windows, Linux, and Mac.  20 KB in size.  Requires Java version 1.5 or higher.  See "For Java" section, below.
--this one is cross-platform.  It's also exactly the same as the .EXE version, except that it requires JAVA, and possibly using the Command Prompt. Don't worry; I have instructions...

For Java:

1st, Check to see if you have Java 1.5 or above.

If you do, then skip to step 2.  If you don't have Java, or have an older version than 1.5, or just want to update your Java to the latest version, then un-install the older version(s) (if applicable).
*RESTART COMPUTER*
2nd, install JRE 6: http://www.fsoinstaller.com/getjre.html  -Mac users click here, get the Java for Mac OS X 10.4, Release 5 (Universal).  If that doesn't work out, let me know.

3rd, either: (Linux or Mac must use option b, Windows can use either a or b)

a) download & install: http://www.fsoinstaller.com/files/installer/java/javautilities/javautilities.exe
-If you have the Descent: FreeSpace a.k.a. Conflict: FreeSpace, and/or the FreeSpace 2 Retail CDs and you're running Windows, jump down to "Retail install" to save time, then come back and:
download & run (double-click): http://www.fsoinstaller.com/files/installer/java/FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar, then go to the "Using the Installer" section below (underneath the "Retail Install" section).

b) For Linux, Mac, and Windows: (If you have the Descent: FreeSpace a.k.a. Conflict: FreeSpace, and/or the FreeSpace 2 Retail CDs and you're running Windows, jump down to "Retail install" to save time and then come back up and finish:)

open a command window / prompt / console, and type in:
Code: [Select]
java -jar pathtofile\FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar *Replace "pathtofile" with the actual patch, eg (for Windows, saved to C:\Downloads):
java -jar C:\Downloads\FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar
-hint: For Windows, the easiest way to get a Command Prompt is Start > Run (Vista and 7 type the word run and it will show up in your results), type "cmd" (for 2K/XP, without the quotes) or "command" (for 9x/ME, without the quotes) and hit the Enter key.  To exit a command prompt, after it is finished with your instructions, type "exit" (without quotes) and hit Enter.

EDIT: Windows users: optionally you can download this .cmd file into the same directory as FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar and double-click it.

Now go to the "Using the Installer" section, below.

Retail Install:
1. Install FreeSpace 2 from your disks, if you haven't already. Install it to C:\Games\FreeSpace2.  Then install the 1.2 patch.
2. Run the Installer, under the "Installing the FreeSpace Open Installer" section, above.

Using the Installer:
1. Press "Next"

2. Press "Next" again, or click the big button to change the location for the FreeSpace 2 install.  (Don't, unless you have a reason to, eg, you really want another location or you've already installed Retail FS2 to a different directory than C:\Games\FreeSpace2 .)

3. Make sure "Update Installed Sections Only" and "Say Yes to All" are not checked.  Then hit "Next".

4-6. If you are a Windows user, select everything, except for "Macintosh (Universal Binary) Executables", and "Launcher for OS X"
    If you are a Mac user, select everything, except for "Windows Executables"
    Hit "Next"
7. Wait for the Installer to finish (this may take a long time!).  You will know it is done when the "Next" button becomes black, instead of gray.
    When it becomes black, click it.

8. READ the NOTES!!!  They might contain important information.  ;)  After you do, hit "Exit"  (The notes are saved in the \FreeSpace2\Installer directory for later viewing.)

9. Hit the Close button on the Command Prompt Window.

10-11. If you don't have it, get OpenAL: (all users, Windows / Mac / Linux)
           Go to www.openal.org, and click on the "Downloads" link on the left.

12. Get the correct version for your OS:
      Windows users get "1.1 Installer for Windows" - note: If you're using Windows, and you have nvopenal.dll or ctoal.dll in your Windows\System32 directory, then delete them and then install the newest version of OpenAL.  These files are older versions, and will cause problems with the new install.
      Mac users get Installer for OS X
      Linux users get the Binary RPM, or compile from the source code.

Lastly, if you need help or have problems, post!  ;)

PS I do recommend that you play through the FSPort mod first (select "The FreeSpace Main Campaign" in the game's Campaign Room after first selecting the FSPort mod in the Launcher).  Then play the FSPort's Silent Threat Campaign (if you want), then play FS2 (select "mediavps" as the mod in the Launcher).  Just to avoid plot spoilers caused by playing FS2 first.  ;)  For a list of the campaigns' chronological order, see here.

My "Features" tab in the Launcher looks like this:

(All enabled, unless specified disabled):

List type:

Graphics:

Enable specular
Enable glowmaps
Enable environment maps
Enable jpg/tga textures
Enable mipmapping
Disable motion debris
Stops fog intersect hull
(not selected - disabled) Disable scale-to-window for movies
Apply Lighting to Missiles (you may or may not want this, check and see if it affects your performance.. turn it on, if you have issues, turn it off.)

HUD:

Another pair of scanning lines
Enable info next to target
Enables 3d radar
Enable Rearm/Repair Completion Timer
Enable the analog ballistic ammo gauge

Gameplay:

Use models for ship selection
Enable 3d warp
Enable flash upon warp
(disable next two, Babylon & Wing Commander...)

Added to "Custom flags":

-ambient_factor 0 -no_emissive_light -fov 0.55 -spec_exp 16.7 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.9 -spec_tube 1

For tech info, start off by reading karajorma's FreeSpace FAQ.  Then check out the FSWiki.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 07:11:51 pm by jr2 »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: Turey's FreeSpace Open Installer - Walkthrough
Note: This Install process downloads about 3.3 GB of data, if you download everything except the .MVE cutscenes.  Just so you can prepare; for example, you could set it to download overnight.
No MVE cutscenes.

-If you have the FreeSpace 2 Retail CDs and you're running Windows, jump down to "Retail install" to save time,

Retail Install:
1. Install FreeSpace 2 from your disks, if you haven't already. Install it to C:\Games\FreeSpace2.
2. Now, put disk 2 of FreeSpace 2 back into your CD drive.
3. Copy all the files with the extension of ".MVE" from the disk to the folder C:\Games\FreeSpace2\data\movies\ (create this folder if it doesn't exist)
4. Do the same thing for disk 3.
5. Use this patch to patch your game to 1.2, if you haven't already.
6. Put this file in C:\Games\FreeSpace2\Installer\ (create this folder if it doesn't exist)
7. Run the Installer, number 4 of Installing the FreeSpace Open Installer, above.

Most of this isn't needed anymore. However, I've made changes to the linked text file that should prevent you from needing to make any changes to this part.

Using the Installer:
(See pic at bottom)
1. Press "Choose A Directory"
2.Type in a location for FreeSpace 2, eg:
C:\Games\FreeSpace2(This is the recommended install location, unless you really want another or you've already installed elsewhere.)
3. Press Enter
4. Click "Update All Features"
5. Click "Let me choose for each one"
6. Choose "Yes" for everything except the following: (unless you want them...)

a) FreeSpace Open 3.6.9 Macintosh (Universal Binary) Executables
b) FS2_Open Launcher for OS X
c) latest version of .MVE Cutscenes (these are high quality versions of the .OGG cutscenes, which you almost can't tell the difference between, .MVEs take more space & time.)
d) If you've already copied the .MVEs off of the FS2 discs or chosen to download them, you don't need the latest version of .OGG Cutscenes for FS2
e) latest version of FreeSpace 1 .MVE Cutscenes (same as above, you can get the .OGG ones easier, unless you like ultra HQ.)
f) If you've already copied the .MVEs off of the FS1 discs or chosen to download them, you don't need the latest version of .OGG Cutscenes for FSPort (FS1)

7. If you don't have it, get OpenAL by clicking "Yes" when the Installer asks you about OpenAL.  If a website doesn't open for you to install OpenAL, use this link.  (All users, Windows / Mac / Linux.)

All of this appears to be referencing the old GUI. You need to update this badly. If you need any help, PM me.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Ah, I shall, .. Just haven't yet... I've decided to use multiple screenshots inserted at the point of reference in the text... should have this done in a few hours, I've got to do a few things first.  Thx for noticing, Turey.  :)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Turey, you around?

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
WTF? A walkthrough for the installer? That kind of defeats the purpose of an installer...

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
WTF? A walkthrough for the installer? That kind of defeats the purpose of an installer...

You're right, but I don't care enough to argue about it with him. It might help some people.

Anyways, two things:
1. Don't mention Mac OS 10.3, as IIRC, FSO doesn't support it.
2. Put a step in there telling them to actually READ the notes at the end of the install. This can prevent a lot of problems.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
kk

EDIT: done.

EDIT2:

I know.  :rolleyes:  But honestly, unless something is drastically wrong somewhere, is it possible to make a mistake if you follow these instructions? 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 08:44:08 pm by jr2 »

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
It would be better to just make a guide for installing and updating Open directly.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm.  I'll have to do that as well.

Offline Christopherger

• Beyond Infinity Space Becomes Closer
    • 3D Worlds and Game Developers Research Group
Thank you jr2 and hi Turey and it is good to see you are ok with these instructoins, they do help me, as I have planned to install the updated and wonderful improved version eveyone has done so much to create, I do have retail discs for both FS1 and all the add on campaigns AND FS2 retail so these directions do help a great deal.  Will the FSOpen run the add on campaigns for FS1 i was wondering? thanks for any info on that, and I suppose i should copy the MVE files for them if so as per the instructions for retail install of FS1 and 2:  thanks again to all for this amazing effort. :) :)

And Turey, I PROMISE to read the notes very carefully. thanks again.  :)
Admin
3D Worlds and Game Developers Group  Linedin
"We Build Worlds"

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Through the FSPort mod, you can run FS1 campaigns with some alterations... if there's one that doesn't have an FSPort compatible version available yet, I suppose you could post in The FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project

Offline Christopherger

Hi jr2, and thanks so much for your very helpful walkthrough, i followed it and did indeed help me running Turey's excellent installer.

And thanks for the suggestions re the FS1 campaigns which came with the offical expansion for FS1 with my original discs.

I posted on a new thread here about how to run FS1 with the FSOpen install as I did not see it listed in the campaign list for the completted Open install, there were just the FS2 main campaign listed, is there something i need to go to make the other campaigns and FS1 available on the campaign list?  the ones that came with the instlal like Derilict, or do I run them as MODS?
thanks
and thanks again for the walkthrough.  :)
Admin
"We Build Worlds"

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
You run them as mods; use the Launcher to select the mod directory (eg, fsport).  If you are running no mods, (you are playing FS2 campaign), then I'd use the 'mediavps' MOD, because this makes your FS2 campaign look pretty, like in the screenshots around here.  Selecting fsport or another MOD automatically selects mediavps as secondary, so you just need to use mediavps if you are using the FS2 campaign.

Offline Christopherger

THANK you very much i did indeed try out using that mod tab on the FSport and it started right up, and I did also download the high quality Mediavps but was wondering how to get the game to use them, as there are two Mediavps files, the regular one and the high quality one, thanks a lot.

much much appreciated.  :)   i also went hunting for old campaigns and episodes and found a bunch including the old volitkon watch site pages with them that are saved by the wayback machine at:

http://web.archive.org/web/*hh_/archives.volitionwatch.com

which was nice to find and also the great campaign files many of which are FSOpen compatible at Hades Combine:

http://hades-combine.com/web/index.php?ind=downloads

but i was not able to get downloadable files for sevearal of Blaise Russels Campaigns that I would really like to try, Sol: A History and Shrouding the Light, his web page the links for those would not download for me:

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/sbre/index.html

I can play either with vanilla FS  and FS2 as I have both retail versions pluse the add on for FS1, or with the install of Open......  but there look to be some amazing mods and campaigns by everyone in the community .....  :)

Admin
"We Build Worlds"

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
All mediavps go in the mediavps directory (Make sure they are all 3.6.8 Zeta version! That's the one that the Installer gets for you).  If there are two files with the same name, use the high-quality one, but keep a backup of the other in case it slows you down too much in which case you can put it back to lower quality.  To get the game to use them; if they are in the mediavps directory "fs2drive:\fs2path\mediavps", then just select the mod, and that mod's mod.ini file will cause mediavps to kick in.  If you aren't using a mod, but are using FS2 campaign, then select the mediavps directory as your mod, and it will use the updated graphics.

Sol: A History... I think I have the SCP version of that.. I might have Shrouding the Light as well ( I have it, but not sure if it's SCP compatible ).

err... two questions:

is this needed? I think turey's installer is self-expletionary enoguh
why are you using the "Ireland" background for windows XP, cuz, it isn't ireland, and it sucks.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
1. If that's so, why are we always answering so many questions?
2. Because I'd just re-formatted that XP, and hadn't gotten down to customizing stuff yet.  Important stuff first (restoring programs / data), then the tinsel.

Offline Christopherger

I for one am VERY appreciative of Turey and jr2 for both the installer and the waqlkthrough, both helped me immensly, I am not a total noob when it comes to digital stuff, but frankly over the years I have been preparing to play open, indeed it has been somewhat daunting to try to understand the overall process and to grab the right files.  So both Turey and jr2 helped me a lot and btw, IMHO, the background is not problem at all, it is the much apprecciated contents that are so great to have. thanks again both Turey and jr2. You have brough my launch date closer and with much appreciated aid.
Admin
"We Build Worlds"

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
http://in.solit.us/archives/download/39469 <- Sol: A History Fixed tables.  Should be able to extract the folder to the same location as the S:AH .vp file, and that would work.  (Let me know if it doesn't.)
EDIT: And here is Sol: A History...
http://in.solit.us/archives/download/41357
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 07:04:47 am by jr2 »

Offline Christopherger

Thank you so very very much!   much appreciated. DLing now. This is such a great and helpful communti I think that Freespace will live forever...  :)
Admin
"We Build Worlds"