Author Topic: Launcher and config management  (Read 5027 times)

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Launcher and config management
I am starting to think that we need a launcher, if for no other reason than to "install" and manage the fs2_open configuration in the registry.

I think we should use a new registry key (rather than the existing "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Volition\Freespace2") so we don't muck up anyone's retail build settings.

Initially, the launcher would have these capabilities:
  • launch fs2_open (duh)
  • copy the configuration parameters from the Freespace2 tree to our new one (this would be like an "install")
  • have a UI so people can change any "custom" config params

Later features might include:
  • DirectX config (like the retail launcher) -- this might be very easy
  • PXO-replacement config stuff, when that's working ;7
your source code slave

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Also, post any suggestions about new config params we might need.

DTP was kind enough to post the current ones in this thread (sorry, I don't know how to like to a specific post) http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,8838.0.html

The first one that comes to mind is the patch RandomTiger did: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,9014.0.html  It fixed awful-looking text on GF4 cards, but makes text look awful on my ATI RAGE.    We want both versions (so text looks nice for everyone), but need a way to specify the formula to use... a registrty setting would be perfect for this.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2002, 08:05:47 am by 334 »
your source code slave

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
also this launcher thing would be good for updateing when ever we have a new version up
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Originally posted by Bobboau
also this launcher thing would be good for updateing when ever we have a new version up
Hmm, well, open source projects tend to release updates more than commercial software... (people don't necessarily want to D/L a new version every week ;))

But your point is well taken -- maybe a link to the "official" fs2_open page, maybe even a MOTD type of thing, displaying what the currently-released version is... the player can D/L or not at their discretion.
your source code slave

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
I can work on this because i will be out of town for about a week on saturday.  it will give me something to do.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
My request: keep it simple, please :)

Try to keep the UI separate from the logic and the back-end (the registry), it will make it so much easier to port to another platform.  If you could avoid MFC entirely, that would be nice :nod:
your source code slave

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
sounds like fun...

nothing spells fun like windows
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
BTW when I mean simple, let's get it to work first ;)  I think it would be adequate to have a dialog box with 2 or three buttons on it, kinda like the launcher for FS:TGW, but they were fancy and had a image on it too.

Keeping it simple means no MFC crap as I've posted already (but it bears repeating... ;))  A simple WinMain routine and its callbacks should be all we need for a UI this simple.

I think our registry key in Windows should be HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\fs2_open  -- any objections?
your source code slave

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by penguin
I think our registry key in Windows should be HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\fs2_open  -- any objections?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\FSSCP\fs2_open :nod:
-C

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Originally posted by WMCoolmon

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\FSSCP\fs2_open :nod:
Oh yeah, forgot our "company name" ;7
your source code slave

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
what registry keys do you want?

right now there is only a dword "installed" set to 1.

and i have a simple version running

edit: clarification
« Last Edit: August 06, 2002, 09:45:37 pm by 31 »
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
See DTP's post in the other thread -- I think he dumped all the keys under Freespace2.  We should (for starters) copy all of that to our key.  Or fire up regedit.exe on your machine and poke around...

Alternatively, grep through the source and see what values are actually being read from the registrty... this might be preferrable, since we wouldn't inherit any "cruft" that's no longer needed.
your source code slave

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Originally posted by PhReAk
and i have a basic version running
...and I hope you're using that word in the generic sense -- please don't tell me you wrote it in VB :eek:

;)
your source code slave

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Originally posted by penguin
...and I hope you're using that word in the generic sense -- please don't tell me you wrote it in VB :eek:

;)

heh.. generic sense
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
how bout putting the new exe in the same folder as the regular fs2 only with the file name different? the launcher can run that engine instead of the regular and still use the same data files without the need to copy and paste everything, user can still play the regular fs2 as well without needing to reinstall or anything.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I like...then from the launcher you can choose which Freespace you want to start, as well as version-specific command line options :nod:
-C

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
anyway we could put the launcher code in CVS so whoever else wants to work on it can?
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Inquisitor

Yes, have some :)
No signature.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
i have a zip file up if anyone wants to take a look what i've done so far.. code included along with a release build.  I'm going to be gone for a week so if anyone wants to add to it, go ahead.

http://xphr34kx.tripod.com/fs2_open_launcher.zip

edit: right click and do "save as..." for it to work
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline EdrickV

• Valued
    • http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers
With Borland C++ Builder I can make a working launcher without too much trouble. Below is a screenshot of an incomplete one I put together in a couple hours. It can copy over all the data from the original FS2 registry key to a seperate one (the same key the other launcher here uses) if that key doesn't exist. It also doesn't need an "Installed" value to tell if it's been "installed." It checks for the fs2_open key itself. The version I have can change between the 4 graphic modes I know of (Glide low res, glide high res, d3d low res, d3d high res) and lets you chose between DirectSound and No Sound. Other options could be typed in and are added to the list when you hit enter within the field. It can store those two settings to the registry and retrieve them.

In addition to adding stuff for the other registry options I think I could add support for storing arbitrary data in the registry for use while testing new options or for changing options that aren't normally listed. I am sure I can add support for running multiple exe's from the same launcher. (Including exe files not in the launcher's folder.)

The one thing that could be problematic is that I don't know what all the possible values are for the various registry entries. (Videocard and soundcard in particular.) That's one reason why it would start by copying over the original FS2 data.

One thing I know I can't do is integrate support for something like the Update feature in the original launcher as BCB 1 doesn't have any controls I know how to use for things like FTP access or file downloading.
Ground - "Let me help you out, you're clear to taxi any way you can, to any runway you see."

Mesh Gallery/Downloads:
http://members.aol.com/ArisKalzar/Gallery.html
Turreting 101:
http://members.aol.com/EdrickV/FS2/Turreting.html

http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers