Author Topic: A new GTF Apollo [WIP]  (Read 27902 times)

Offline -Sara-

A new GTF Apollo [WIP]
I'm currently working on the GTF Apollo (as many who use the HLP chat have noticed) and am at the point where I thought of starting a progress topic about it. I'll update the image from time to time when new progress is made. Answer/reactions to questions and comments will be included in a FAQ-like bit on the bottom of this first post.

GTF Apollo
Recent update: I've changed the cockpit into a canopy style after all and some detail is added to the guns, missile banks and engine pylons which hold the bottom engines.

Progress:

3D Model: 95%
[||||||||]

Textures: 0%
[||||||||]

Adapt for FS2: 0%
[||||||||]

Currently to-do: Making the inside of the cockpit before starting to UV-wrap and texture the model.

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Q: Why does your Apollo differ somewhat from the retail Apollo and the upgraded Apollo with cockpit?

A: I realized that the original Apollo was stripped of much deserved detail because of the limitations in computer technology back in 1998. Crucial details were left out on the first Apollo in favour of improving game performance and many other details were incorporated into the textures to safe model details. Taking into account that I had an opportunity here to remake the Apollo entirely I decided to make some minor changes to the engines and the fuselage.

The overall design remains much the same, but subtle details really bring the model in line with many of the upgraded FS2 models. Some of the textures may slightly deviate from the original Apollo also, but more in the fashion of having a stripe of paint added to them here and there. It's somewhere in between an upgrade and a reboot of the original Apollo.

Q: Isn't there already an upgraded Apollo out there for many years now?

A: There is, but the older upgraded Apollo was made a long time ago and when compared to today's standards is no longer on par with many of the other ships in Freespace. While the older Apollo upgrade has a very nice cockpit and improved bottom engines, the rest of the ship is still rather low on detail. Many elements are drawn onto the ship with textures rather than having been modelled and the majority of the ship is very angled and low-poly. Since the Apollo is my favourite fighter from the FS1 era, I decided to remake it in such a way that it is up to today's standards: both in detail and in design.

Q: Will you make a version which is like the Apollo from the cinematic?

A: I'm considering making a 'bomber' variant of the Apollo as seen in the cinematic. This version however has no priority over finishing the Apollo and other projects I'm working on and will not be released straight away after the release of the Apollo I'm making now. When it is, it will be a modification of the Apollo I'm making now, sporting guns where the missiles are placed and adding missiles to the place where the guns currently are placed. Like the cinematic version, there will be a nose mounted gun as well.

Q: When your Apollo is finished, can I use it for my mod?

A: You can use this Apollo for your mod and you may even retexture it, as long you include it in a whole mod or campaign you're working on and do NOT release it as a seperate stand-alone project. The reason? I've invested a lot of time in this project and I'd honestly feel bummed if someone poaches my model, slaps their own texture on it and releases it stand-alone as their own creation. When you do include this Apollo in your mod, please be as considerate to give me credit.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 08:25:02 pm by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Re: A new GTF Apollo [WIP]
Very nice, keep up the good work, the Apollo was always a favorite of mine. :yes: A small question, didnt somebody made a Apollo MKII once?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
You mean the Latona?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Nice work. The Apollo is also my favorite FS1 fighter. Can't wait to see the finished product. :yes:
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
You mean the Latona?

Latona? Cant I say I ever heard that name.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
1 | 2
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
This is awesome. Apollo is awesome. Looking forward to seeing awesome progress.

Very nice, keep up the good work, the Apollo was always a favorite of mine. :yes: A small question, didnt somebody made a Apollo MKII once?
Actually, there have been several Apollo variants. There was one (unreleased) version by Dark, a released "prototype" version (not HTL and not textured properly) and the Latona from INFASA.

I just thought, this should probably be in the FSPort Upgrade board but I think it'll get more exposure here...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 04:49:40 pm by Snail »

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
The Apollo has been my favorioute fighter since i first started Freespace, so i'm glad its getting some justice. Model is looking great so far; nice work Sara.  :yes:

Best of luck; look forward to seeing the final. :)
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Guess where I'm at now blocks Imageshack, that sucks.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
This topic just makes me think of Darks promo work. That in turn makes me cry. . . . Cry because i'll never see it again. :(
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I think you should go more

and push the side pods in the concept to look better, etc. see, your model has the problem of trying to model in the texture detail, which will be better handled and more noticeable using normal mapping, I do commend making it less sharp, as I think that makes a lot of sense and looks nicer, but I'd definitely try modeling the concept art as the HTL (since it's so close it won't affect balance and I'll bet if Volition had the polies, they'd have made it like that maybe)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 06:32:24 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline -Sara-

Perhaps as a seperate release someday.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I'd love to see that concept Apollo ingame.
-Sara-, can you post another shot of your progress (In PM if need-be) from a different host? ImageShack images aren't loading in this Kuwait USO. :(
TinyPic works if you use that one.

Offline PeterX

• Peter
Quote from: Sarafan
A small question, didnt somebody made a Apollo MKII once?
Not that i know,yet.
Sara your apollo looks strong :yes:
Peter
If i can´t model any ship then i use "flying trains" :-)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
This ship often made me think of an Apollo MkII, shape-wise. But if you're looking for a successor to the Apollo stats-wise, I suggest you look in the direction of the good old Perseus.

Anyway, keep up the good work :)
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
This Apollo looks awesome :D

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I can see it now, looking gorgeous. :)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Good to have you around Sara :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I think you should go more

and push the side pods in the concept to look better, etc. see, your model has the problem of trying to model in the texture detail, which will be better handled and more noticeable using normal mapping, I do commend making it less sharp, as I think that makes a lot of sense and looks nicer, but I'd definitely try modeling the concept art as the HTL (since it's so close it won't affect balance and I'll bet if Volition had the polies, they'd have made it like that maybe)

I'm going to say no. When it comes to HTL-ing a ship, take concept art with a grain of salt. What is in-game is what we're familiar with, and can be said to represent what the intended design is aimed to be. I would rather state that observing design trends in the original LOD0 and the cutscene model is the way to go, and it's where I was headed when I was trying to do this model. I then furnished my own concept art in refining certain model elements. If there is one thing I'd suggest ommitting, it would be the forward canopy support pillar. This design element is abscent in both the current HTL model as well as the cutscene model, but it's your call.

My primary drive in starting this project was to fix the forward fuselage geometry, which has several unfortunate "indentations" due to lacking geometry - this condition is present in both... Galemp's I believe, and the original Volition model. If you're curious, here's some of the rough developmental artwork I had prepared for working on the project:

It's not much, but it might be useful for you if there's some aspects about the nosecone you'd like to resolve still. This section is difficult to work with - in some places, it needs to be flat and angular, in others it needs to be fairly smooth. Good luck!

:D
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
i definitely think the V concept art looks a lot more interesting than yours Thaeris, no offense but the V ship is really muscular and cool