Author Topic: 20040405 test build - Win32 build of Linux tree, OGL fixes, preloads  (Read 13701 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
20040405 test build - Win32 build of Linux tree, OGL fixes, preloads
So is this the one we're supposed to use to play and test? There's like 3 out there now and each of them doesn't have what the other did.
This contains everything that the 20040401 build did plus fixes for what people were complaining about.  Some, most, or all of Bobboau's stuff was commited to CVS and included in this build.  Kazan and I posted our build's at almost the same time so I don't think it was intentional to have two builds to test from two different people.

The subject says "20040405 test build" so it's not meant to be used by anyone that doesn't intend to test that old bugs have been fixed and none added.  It's not meant to be used as a build that people should use in lieu of a final 3.6 version.  If I were to commit these changes before testing then it would cause serious integration issues for the other developers and any bugs would be in everyones build.  That would waste all of the developers time trying to figure out what broke and why.

Another bug: with -stats, physical memory usage was reading 4000MB+
Is this problem new to this build or does it happen with Bobboau's as well?

What the hell is up with those little blue boxes around certain menu items!!
Does this happen with other builds? Are you using OpenGL or D3D, 32-bit on either?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 02:00:54 pm by 1252 »

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
D3D 32 bit on a GeForce FX 5600 using Starstorm 56.72 Drivers
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Offline ViRGE

Originally posted by taylor Is this problem new to this build or does it happen with Bobboau's as well?
At this point, I can't confirm it, as I have been unable to figure out how to replicate it. If/when I figure that out, we'll see if it does it on Bobbau's build too.

PS For Turambar's problem, I'm using a 5700 Ultra with the WHQL'd 56.72 drivers, and am not seeing that problem

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It would appear that this build perfers tga over pcx.  I had pcx nebula in the effects directory, but it superceeded those and grabbed the tga versions out of mv_core.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Using the -jpgtga option will do load preference in the following order: TGA, JPG, DDS, PCX.  Otherwise it's: DDS, PCX.  That is the load order of D3D and with this build it's now the order with OpenGL as well.  If you're not using the -jpgtga option and it's still loading TGA first then it's a bug.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I am using the -jpgtga command line.  I'd just prefer to use the original pcx nebulae instead of Lightspeed's tga versions of these nebulae.  Not only do they create less of a memory load, but they look less washy.  No offence Lightspeed, after all these were pretty much your first high-profile pieces of work, and not up to standards of your new stuff.  As far as I'm concerned, for an effect FS should ALWAYS default to whatever is in the effects directory, and NOT chose another file in a VP, no matter what its sequence of formats is.  If there are 2 files of the same name in that directory, then it should resort to its format preference list.

This may sound like its getting a bit out of control, but perhaps the sequence described above should be the default, and have a command flag like -pcx_last should someone wish the sequence you described.  The only problem I (a non-coder) can forsee, is the subsequent requests for flags for each desired sequence of format preference, which definitely constitute "going out of control."

On the good side, this build seems to not display the "CTD after alt-tab and restore" problem I was getting with Bob's builds since -21.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Having it look for PCXs first would pretty much invalidate the -jpgtga option since those high quality versions would seldomly, if ever, get used.  The easy answer to the problem is just to not use -jpgtga and if you like the hi-res planets then you still have DDS as an option.  Probably not the answer that you want but if it's just the nebula that you don't like the TGA versions of then just wait and those new uber cool ones should be available before too much longer.

FS does search the effects directory first but it searches with the full filename so the extension matters in that case.  It would be possible to search just the directories and not the VPs first for all file types but it's a lot of code to change the behavior and it would be tremendously slow.  I mean *slow*.  Really slow.  Searching the directories accounts for probably 90% of the search time for any file, everything else is cached so it's quick.  I have tried caching the directories but it's very problematic so I gave up and decided it's not worth the time to get it perfect (it's perfect or non-functional, not much in between).

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
memory leak in -pcx32?

It's aweful...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Well, it was supposed to be fixed.  In any case, I've stopped using -pcx32 for a while since I like have FSAA on and -pcx32 breaks that somewhat (known bug).

But with it on, I don't notice a speed drop other than loading time.  I also notice that I'm using a lot more memory.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
List of possible bugs...
Processor Duron 1.6 Ghz
Memory 256 MB DDR400
Video card GeForce 4 MX400
Sound card Audigy2 NX
Resolution OpenGL 1024x768x32
Extra stuff Media VPs core, shine, weapons, hiplanets + Lightspeed's newest weapons effects + hi-poly Fenris and Hercules in a VP
Mission The first one with the Knosses, Dashor, and Carthage

Edit: Green indicates info about that problem in D3D8

1) (Definite) The splash screen displays for a second or two, then the screen changes to be completely white
Did not occur in D3D8
2) (Always happened)The refresh rate wasn't as high as my monitor/video card can go - about 85 hz.
Did not occur in D3D8
3) (Always) Whenever the sun glare showed up, my framerate would drop by 1/2 almost exactly.
Framerate dropped by about 1/4 when the sun showed up
3) (Sometimes) When I targeted ships, there was a bit of lag. This almost always happened the first time I targeted a ship type, sometimes after.
Occured in D3D8
4) (Always) When I targeted debris, most of the HUD dissapeared (Screenshot)
Did not occur in D3D8
5) The build did not seem to lag as much on sound playing, though it did seem to lag occassionally. Usually this was when things appeared onscreen. I was thinking it might have to do with loading different LODs.
Occured in D3D8
6) (Always) After the Dashor and Carthage arrived, the pilot ani box simply displayed black when I received transmission. (Screenshot)
Did not occur in D3D8
7) (Both times I got to this point) Also after the Dashor and Carthage arrived, a massive slowdown occured just before the bombers' arrival on one try, on another it appeared during the bombers' arrival.
Did not occur in D3D8...though there was one further towards the beginning
8) (2/4 or 2/5 times) Two other times, I ran into these errors after ordering All Ships Attack My Target:
Error: ai_find_path tring to find a path (17) that doesn't exsist, on ship Neqael
File:U:\Working\Projects\FS2_Open\code\Ship\AiCode.cpp
Line: 3845

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 005cd44a()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 005cdd5e()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 004caab7()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 004ccbb8()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 004ccd86()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 004a5dac()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 00434cbd()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 011adbd8()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 011add98()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 011ae658()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 011ae818()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 011ae9d8()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 011aeb98()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 011aed58()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 011aef18()

Error: ai_find_path tring to find a path (13) that doesn't exsist, on ship Maul
File:U:\Working\Projects\FS2_Open\code\Ship\AiCode.cpp
Line: 3845

Call stack:
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 005cd44a()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 005cdd5e()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 004caab7()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 004ccbb8()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 004ccd86()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 004a5dac()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 00434cbd()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 011adbd8()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 011add98()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 011adf58()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 011ae2d8()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 011ae658()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 011ae818()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 011ae9d8()
    fs2_openT-20040405.exe 011aeb98()

Did not occur in D3D8

9) (The one time I got that far) FS2 crashed (access violation) when the mission should've ended
Did not occur in D3D8
« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 01:15:41 am by 374 »
-C

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
1 - It does this when it switches to play a movie, whether it plays one or not.  I agree that it shouldn't turn white.  I'll look into it.

2 - What was the refresh rate that you got?

3 - Do the new media vps include LS's new suns?  I haven't experienced this one but my test computers are a bit faster than yours.  What command line options are you using?

4 - Known.  This has a related problem of the entire HUD or at least the radar and (if in view) the sun will disappear if debris is in view more than 500m away.  My "got to fix it" todo list has this problem at number 1.

5 - The sound changes preload (with -snd_preload) all of the gamesounds in sounds.tbl.  HUD messages and numerous other things don't get preloaded so those are still going to create some lag.  I'm not sure how much better this can get but tinkering will continue.

6 - I've noticed this recently as well but I'm not sure how long it's been happening.  If it only happens with this build then I'll attribute it to the 32-bit changes.  I'll look into this tonight.

7 - I'll have to go through to mission and try to figure out what's getting loaded at that point.  It may have been a swap out to virtual memory though.  The recent changes do reduce the memory footprint but using 32-bit with all of LS's effects can  push the memory usage above 200meg in large missions.  With only 256meg of RAM that's going to cause a few swap outs for you.

8 - No clue.  I haven't changed anything in the AI code so I'll have to do some searching to try and find the problem there.  Was there a particular target that does this?

9 - Is this the same mission from your other reports or a different one?  Is it bug 0000165 ?

Great bug report by the way. :D

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
2 - What was the refresh rate that you got?

It looks like it's about 60 hz. This is based on eyeballing a comparison b/t a screenshot of the main hall in FS2 and in Windows at 60, 70, 72, 75, and 85 hz.

3 - Do the new media vps include LS's new suns? I haven't experienced this one but my test computers are a bit faster than yours. What command line options are you using?

Yes, and my command line flags were "-spec -glow -pcx32 -jpgtga -fps  -snd_preload". So they were being loaded and displayed.

8 - No clue. I haven't changed anything in the AI code so I'll have to do some searching to try and find the problem there. Was there a particular target that does this?

It was the Maul and Nequael, both cargo-carry transports. The Maul, at least, is scripted to drop its cargo.

9 - Is this the same mission from your other reports or a different one? Is it bug 0000165 ?

Yes, this is all the same mission, and it's not that bug. I'd completed all objectives, hit alt-j, the wormhole had closed, and then the screen went black and an access violation appeared. The mission did not register as completed, so I was able to go back and play it again with D3D8. Next time I'll have to go to the tech room. (I got an Allied Defense Citation, though :D)

One thing I forgot to add about my D3D experience - when the Carthage and Dashor jumped in, the Carthage (a GTD Orion) appeared before the subspace wormhole while the Dashor (GVCv Sobek) appeared out of the wormhole.

Great bug report by the way. :D

Good to hear. :D
-C

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
It looks like it's about 60 hz. This is based on eyeballing a comparison b/t a screenshot of the main hall in FS2 and in Windows at 60, 70, 72, 75, and 85 hz.

I'm not sure what the problem is here but I'll check in to it.  I usually play in a window rather than fullscreen so this is something that I would probably never notice if you didn't point it out.
Yes, and my command line flags were "-spec -glow -pcx32 -jpgtga -fps -snd_preload". So they were being loaded and displayed.

"-spec" doesn't really work yet in OpenGL but shouldn't hurt anything.  I've made changes since this test version to not do any setup for spec maps/lighting if the command is used to save time and memory.  Try the sun glow thing again without "-pcx32" and let me know if it still does it, probably shouldn't matter but I'm curious.
I'd completed all objectives, hit alt-j, the wormhole had closed, and then the screen went black and an access violation appeared.

I'll look into this one but if you can recreate it in OpenGL  then please try it again with the "-novbo" option and see if it still happens.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
one question about the OGL mode (i just tried this btw - fantastic stuff, my FPS actually went above 30!!!) is Ambient lighting enabled in it yet? Cause thats the one thing missing that would make using this soooooo worth it!!

Edit: Wait a sec...so OGL doesn't have spec??
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Ambient lighting yes.  If you mean specular lighting then no, sort of.  Most of the code is there and just needs a couple of other things to be enabled correctly.  This is on the todo list but I'm not really sure who was going to actually do it.

I working mainly on trying to fix a few OpenGL bugs:
 - debris making HUD go away
 - jump nodes not showing up right
 - invisible brackets around targeted subsystem in targetbox
 - improperly rendered lightning arcs on critically damaged ships/debris

Those problems have a bit higher priority on my todo list at the moment than the specular lighting.  Hopefully someone else will get spec lighting done for 3.6 though.

Stuff that is fixed:
 - full nebula missions are no longer impossibly bright
 - full nebula lighting rendered correctly.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
ok on the spec - but how do I activate ambient lighting? i have the command line there, but it doesnt seem to work!
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Oh you mean "-ambient_factor"?  Well I guess that doesn't work, or rather it's just not implemented yet  ...  But it is now ;)  I'll get some OpenGL updates in CVS this weekend and will put this in as well.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Is it bad that I'm doing my hi-res textures in .tga format?
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
no, but if they are really big you might want to use JPG instead, unless you need the Alpha channel for something.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.