Author Topic: 2004-04-26 build  (Read 23685 times)

I dunno, I'm in the mission where the Aquitain is stranded in the nebula, and I keep watching Shivans fly right into the Aquitain as if they didn't realize it was there (kind of floating into it while doing other stuff, not like kamikaze)

Is this an AI problem maybe?  The mission is still pretty painful, I do good until until the last 1 minute when the bombers come out with fighter supression missiles, at which point I last about 10 seconds from untouched (ouch)

I've also noticed that my tornados aren't hitting half the time anymore since moving from the 4/05 build up to the 4/26 build

Offline mrfun

Just a thought, not being a coder myself, but could there be an indirect change to AI, or missile turning behavior?  I remember, it may have been the original descent or wing commander or something, if you ran it on a slightly faster computer than it was designed for the ai went nuts and slaughtered you.  I think I'll start through from the beginnign of the campaign and see if anything else is funky or if I'm imagining it.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by kasperl
... some of the AI code was changed on 26-04-2004 (ddmmyyyy), but most of the code hasn't been changed since  05-03-04 (ddmmyyyy) or earlier....

And you directly refused me to make any modifications in the AI code.

Originally posted by Goober5000
I don't think Hornets ever hit anything.

Those who are used to UberModernWeaponry say this.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The code shouldn't have been changed.  Kasperl, what did you see?

i only checked the timestamps on the files in the dir with the AI files in it. forgot the name, it was something with ship IIRC.

and TA, err, where?  I can't even write C, and i can barely read enough of it to extract a few things from the code, i have nothing to do with the actual coding, and i don't even have CVS write acces.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Goober5000
I don't think Hornets ever hit anything.

Hornets owned in FS1, but with FS2's missile seeking system they're more than useless.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

i noticed the AI might have gotten better on LAN play, now that i re-read this. I was fighting Uly vs Uly, and I launched like 3 Harpoosn, not even hitting, untill the idiot AI turned to face me and i fired right into his face at 100 meters.  But the locking on took ages, and either i just can't use a MS Sidewinder Force, or they really did get better.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by kasperl
and TA, err, where?  I can't even write C, and i can barely read enough of it to extract a few things from the code, i have nothing to do with the actual coding, and i don't even have CVS write acces.

It wasn't directed at you only, it is valid for everyone who had SCP avatar that time.
I will do a search to find that thread.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

is it just me or do Dogfight Tornadoes hit all the time you fire them at AI/9 year old little brother?

EDIT: It was a TvT so it weren't even Dogfight weapons.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Found it:
You not refused to help on it, you simply refused to post.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,17069.0.html

that was what, half a year ago?

btw, IIRC that was already inside the code-freeze, that, and the AI is hard to improve.

Once again, if you really want that feature, start paying the coders or grab a C book.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
You have just refused making improvements on the Ai. So what I wrote a few posts ago became true. :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
There are two things about the AI: It's hard to code stuff with it without 1) messing everything up, and 2) breaking reverse compatibility.  Many have tried it and have royally screwed things up.  This is why we discourage it.

We'll have to figure out what was changed and go fix it.

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
hum...  FYI, pressing the Y button still crashes the game to desktop.
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Offline mrfun

Still playing with this build looking for stuff.  I noticed in 2 missions that Alpha2's voice dialogue is missing (the female wingman) in the first mission at the portal against the shivans she misses a couple lines  and later in "straight, no chaser" (when the psamptik is pwned by Sath2) a lot of that wingies dialogue is missing.  I cant get access to mantis, they wont send me a confirmation email, so I can't post anything there atm.

Also I still get mega-brights in the nebula.  PLS PLS PLS fix this! I think you may have tried, and it improved a little, but it still makes the nebula missions almost unplayable.  Looking at the sun in any mission also does a full white-out, extremely annoying.  You'd think they'd have adaptive glass or something that could deal with that sort of thing.

Otherwise fantastic work all around.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by mrfun
I cant get access to mantis, they wont send me a confirmation email
Are you using Hotmail?  If so, try using a different email.

Offline J3Vr6

I just tried this yesterday and I didn't get the intro movie.  It didn't work on Kazan's build either.  I have the zpack vp file installed, I'm wondering if it has to do with that or not.

I even tried going into the techroom and playing the intro movie there and it said the movie wasn't found...
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I haven't seen the intro movie in any build since January (Except for the one RT and Taylor were working on). Any idea when we get working movie code again?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
I see the intro every time I start up the game.  With the new build and everything.
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Offline J3Vr6

So what's going on, then?  is it the media vp?
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy