Author Topic: 20041230 test build  (Read 30647 times)

Well you will upgrade if you want yer shiney in OGL!! PHEAR!
Err...Long Live Open GL? *grin*

...No luck yet with various settings. I'll try 2D-Poof now and see if purposely breaking the nebula fixes the lighting of ships inside it. More in a second...EDIT: Nope. Now I got black ships in a broken nebula. Meh. Might as well settle for what I had before. One last test....

Testing disabling of shinemaps *HERESY!!!* now...if this fixes the nebula then its definitely the shine code. EDIT: NOPE! Shinemapping has nothing to do with this nebula ship lighting problem...the ships are still dark, and I set my ambient factor to 175 (full bright)!!!

Meh, returning to normal settings...I don't care. Like I said, this isn't a huge problem. I can live with fully black ships in nebulae only. Everywhere else is beautiful...*sniff*

I say throw this code in Taylor...its a LOT better for OpenGL than what we had before, regardless.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 08:11:34 pm by 1644 »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by Gregster2k
OK, theres no problems like the ones Mitac described, but I have an entirely different problem. All the fighters and ships are *BLACK* in that exact same mission (Mystery of the Trinity).

Im using -ambient_factor 75, by the way...and the sun in the nebula SHOULD still illuminate the ships...but it does not.

I tested the same mission without much issue.  Ships aren't well lit by the sun but that's likely something with the fog.  I'm setting emmisive light to get spec maps to look right so maybe that's causing a problem.  I did notice that the Aquitaine is fogged in the hud tagetbox when it shouldn't be.  Are you seeing the same thing?  With fighters too?

I prefer a setting of 77 but I lowered it to 70 for this test and the fighters were very dark at a distance but when the spec shines on them or you're close enough they are fine.  I'll try and play with the lighting a bit more and see if I can't find a better compromise.

And the -novbo option only fixed a bad crash and is a bit slower.  It shouldn't have any affect on features or anything else.  In some weird cases -novbo may actually be faster but that's because of crappy drivers.

The new HTL Herc is pure sweetness.  I actually just followed a flock of them, staring into the cockpits, trying not to be noticed.  I didn't even care that they were enemy fighters attacking the ship I was supposed to protect.  Kinda sad really. :)

"Mystery of the Trinity" - Unlit ships in nebulae in Taylor's 20041230 OpenGL test build

Fog still works nicely, looks as it should, big soupy mess. Just like good old times. Mmmm. Covers the ships normally. All thrusters show up perfectly. Using the Z-Pack media VP.

Look above:
Taylor, the fighters and ships are *black* no matter HOW close I am to them. I can be smashing into them, even. No matter what distance, they are black. In nebulae only, ALL ships are just plain black. Black, no matter whether its specular or not, whether or not scaling of lighting is at zero or 1000, it doesn't matter. ALL THE SHIPS ARE...BLACK.

LOL, Mitac's nebula looks like crap but his Aquitaine is lit. My Aquitaine and all fighters and everything made out of a 3d model (shivans included)... completely black. again, the nebula itself is perfect.

Opposite problems eh? LOL

Everywhere else, all ambient lighting and glows and shines and everything works F L A W L E S S L Y.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 08:31:18 pm by 1644 »

THIS is how FLAWLESSLY i mean!
GTF Hercules (HTL glowpointed) - Taylor's 20041230 test build - techroom screenshots at 1600x1200 resolution compiled into a 1024x768 desktop wallpaper

*cries* We have achieved cutscene quality, folks, already. All we need now is native 1280x1024 resolution support, for that is the native res of my LCD flatpanel (17")...the above ones are 1600x1200 (were hard to take though)...it looks...like...*looks again*

damn....

This new OpenGL code has GOT to go into CVS.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 08:52:42 pm by 1644 »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Taylor, the fighters and ships are *black* no matter HOW close I am to them. I can be smashing into them, even. No matter what distance, they are black. In nebulae only, ALL ships are just plain black. Black, no matter whether its specular or not, whether or not scaling of lighting is at zero or 1000, it doesn't matter. ALL THE SHIPS ARE...BLACK.

Freaky.  Alright I'll work on this tonight.  There is certainly something wrong here and I don't know if it's driver related (something I need to work around) or if I just missed copying something from my unstable code tree.  The nebula is drawn unlit no matter what so this problem would only affect models.  Also note that models in the hud targetbox are rendered without specmaps (for speed) and without special lighting so the fact that they are black points to another problem.  I made some changes to how lighting is handled in order to have specmaps look good so how light settings get changed during and/or between the rendering passes may be causing this.

Awesome man. I could say you've done enough already, but that would be very biased seeing as I hate nebulas anyway and don't care ALL that much about the looks of a ship stuck in one...i suppose theres people out there unlike me who looove their nebulas ^_^ By the way...does this wonderful build have TruForm code (npatches) in it?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 08:58:25 pm by 1644 »

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
a few probs here (radeon 9000, 4.12 catalysts)
it's in the nebula missions, obviously..
without the 2d_poof tag

with, the 2d_poof tag

this is from homesick, since it was the only one that had a nebula mission on hand. :nod:
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
By the way...does this wonderful build have TruForm code (npatches) in it?

Nope.  I don't think that code ever made it to CVS as a matter of fact.  The cmdline option is there but it doesn't do anything.  I keep meaning to ask Bobboau about that but always forget.  On my OpenGL wish list right now I've got envmaps, shadows, TruForm and settable anisotropic filtering in that order.  Probably won't get done in that order but functional envmapping in OGL shouldn't be far off.

@Turnsky: 2d_poof is known not to work in OGL and it probably never will.  I'm going to make it disabled when in OGL mode so that it's not rendered wrong.  The hull intersects like in the first picture are annoying but I don't think it's going to be fixed any time soon.

This might sound incredible but...okay maybe it doesnt but...ive been deprived of shinemaps for so long that your build made me forget environmental mapping even exists at all LOL

Re. the two screenies above. I get the exact same effect to the nebula when I turn 2D-Poof on.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 09:44:10 pm by 1644 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Turnsky
this is from homesick, since it was the only one that had a nebula mission on hand. :nod:
Ooh... underwater missions. ;7

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Originally posted by Goober5000
Ooh... underwater missions. ;7

dude.. now that's an idea! :nod:
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Coming Soon...

A Deus Ex Machina Production

:drevil:

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
hmm... speaking of wich.. i made this a while back

to scale (more or less)

[/hijack]
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
This might sound incredible but...okay maybe it doesnt but...ive been deprived of shinemaps for so long that your build made me forget environmental mapping even exists at all LOL

Re. the two screenies above. I get the exact same effect to the nebula when I turn 2D-Poof on.

For all future references:

2d-poof is not supported in OGL-mode

Thanks for your attention, this Tri-Op public relations.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline mitac

Alright, I followed your suggestion and disabled 2d_poof. It brought back the nebula, but I still got those white squares. Seeing that Axem got the exact same drivers with the exact same problem on the exact same video card, I'll try and upgrade my drivers. Thanks for the help!

Edit : ah, and to Goober & Firecrack : those pics are hilarious. ;)
marcet sine adversario virtus.

www.huiswerksite.nl/fsoscreens/

There, a complete comparision of OGL and D3D.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline mitac

Updated to 4.12, changed nothing else except the 2d_poof setting. The white squares are gone, so it's probably just a driver issue.

taylor, may I suggest you edit your initial post and include that information? Ah, and btw : thanks for the spec. :)

kasperl, I suggest you also try and update your drivers, since yours are just plain old. 6387 = Catalyst 3.8.

P.S. : Kind of ironic, eh? Catalyst 4.4 breaks shinemapping for OpenGL. ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 07:04:30 am by 1928 »
marcet sine adversario virtus.

Yeah, odd. I'll update.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Originally posted by kasperl
www.huiswerksite.nl/fsoscreens/

There, a complete comparision of OGL and D3D.

I too noticed some differences in D3DvsOGL shinemapping, in OGL the whole poly gets lit a tad more, making it look more faceted.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Col. Fishguts
I too noticed some differences in D3DvsOGL shinemapping, in OGL the whole poly gets lit a tad more, making it look more faceted.

Is that affect better or worse?  I've set the shininess to 65 though values of 85-90 appear to match D3D better.  I made it 65 because I think it looks better but that's just my opinion.  If you'd rather have it more D3D like then let me know.

Here is 65 (current code):

Here is the same basic shot with 85: